10 August 2017

How Blogging Helps Express Personality


Hello, everyone! Today I'm presenting the project May, Charis, and I have teamed up with for Gracie's Bloggers for Change blogging project, entitled "How Blogging Can Help With Social Anxiety." Today, I will be sharing Part One of a three-part series, which I tackle How Blogging Helps Express Personality.

A quick disclaimer / note: I'm not a medical professional. A lot of what's written here is based on a ton of research taken in by talking to those with social anxiety, as well as Ted Talk videos and numerous web articles. If you're someone with social anxiety, know that while blogging is a potential way to help, it is not the ultimate cure and you should talk to medical professionals in the field. Also, to those with social anxiety, if you have any clarifications for anything we wrote or additional comments, please feel free to calmly chat with Charis, May, and I, as we'd would like to approach and address the subject matter appropriately while also gaining a better understanding.

Let's get started!
One of the amazing things about the blogging community is there is a plethora of individuals from all over the world around your age, but more importantly, they're the most supportive people out there. They are also like you, finding outlets for self-expression and creation and gawking over the writing, sketches, photography, and films everyone's made, but out of everything, they are fighting the same monsters and tribulations you are facing. If you travel a lot, why not post about your adventures? First and foremost, you're doing this for yourself. It's a beautiful thing!

If writing under your real name sounds terrifying, a nom de plume that represents your personality can be carved out! In fact, this is how I started in the blogging, under a sense of anonymity. Many bloggers actually go this route, for privacy reasons.

As a blogger, artist, and a person, one of the most terrifying things to do is to put yourself out there. Whenever something big happens, like getting awarded and recognized for an art piece you've created, the first thing to do is to end up burrowing down somewhere and just hide. Do you like wearing sweat pants while munching on Swedish Fish while everyone else around you is out and about? Go ahead! You don't need to, neither should you, stifle that aspect of yourself.

One of the important things to keep in mind that bloggers have a habit of falling trapped under is the quality versus quantity race. Don't ever feel for one second you have to pretend and write certain posts that don't best reflect what you personally want to write just to gain followers. Blogging shouldn't be a competition; it all comes down to being authentic and supportive. Here's something aide learned in over four years of blogging: you actually gain more followers when you're not worried at all about the follower count and you're focused on doing what you love. Pretty neat, huh?


DESIGN IS ONE OF THE MOST FUN THINGS IN BLOGGING EVER. The aesthetics are almost as important as the post quality-- after all, this is a little nook of the Internet you've created. Are you someone who enjoys painting with simple grays and loves Wes Anderson's signature look in his films? You can combine your two loves and render them together to create something that's visually appealing. Again, falling back to the judgement point, there are many supportive members in the blogging community who are more than willing to help you out, on the way.

This is perhaps the most important thing of all. It's almost kind of like in Inkheart when Meg reads novels and the characters sprout to life. As the sole owner of the blog, you get to decide on what to post and what to create without feeling restricted. It almost seems too surreal to even comprehend, when you step back and think about it. If you want to post about your love for anime or antique shops, great! If you don't want to take photos of yourself and post, you don't have to! It's up to you to decide.

One of reasons art is just an immersive experience is because true artists are able to create something that is raw, refreshing, and personal, by channeling in everything they take in and producing a piece that helps others understand what they see. There is a risk associated with showcasing your work to the world, the sense of vulnerability that climbs up your throat and the pressure is too real, but when you resurface and people are loving your work, then the payoff is worth it.


How does blogging help express your personality? Will you be staying tuned for Charis and May's post for the next two days? Also, be sure to check out and sign up for this year's yearbook!

26 comments:

  1. Hi Abby!
    Thank you so so so much for participating, my friend. You've produced a beautiful post/campaign. I'm sure it will be spread hope and light amongst your readers. Thanks again. You've been awesome. Xxx
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gracie! It's nice to hear from you from your blogging hiatus; I'm so glad you like it! You've been awesome, too-- thank you for coming up with the idea to spread Bloggers for Change campaigns in the first place. ^.^

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
    2. Haha. I'm still having my break at the moment, but I had to comment! I do really, really like it. It was my pleasure. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post! I never really thought about how blogging could help with social anxiety, but now I definitely can see how it could!
    Thank you Abby!
    ~Mira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Mira! I hadn't really thought about it, too; brainstorming an idea for Bloggers for Change and coming down to finalizing this point was a long process, but it was worth it.

      You're most certainly welcome!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  3. I never thought of blogging this way, but I see it now! Great post, I have a friend with social anxiety, I might direct her to this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this post helps your friend out!!! I know how tough social anxiety can be. :D

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful, I actually have struggled with many of the things you mentioned...social anxiety is big for me, and blogging helps A LOT. Also with posting...that hit me hard because I have been guilty of posting something just because everyone else was doing it, lately I've been reevaluating myself on that, so good reminder.
    Thanks for participating <3 This was beautiful.

    Anna | www.worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy this resonated with you, Anna! Also, to address the quality versus quantity issue: I wrote a post about that a long time ago, but it's still relevant and may help you a bit, which can be viewed here; it's called "The Hard Truth About Blogging.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
    2. That was INCREDIBLE. Thank you so much for sharing it...I feel that change. when i first started blogging it was all fun and now I feel like "Where is my place here?" But slowly I'm finding it and I'm learning to be more profound and write about what touches my heart...not only others'. <3 You're incredible Abby <3 I am so lucky to know you and have you as a friend, keep up that beautiful spirit. <3

      Delete
  5. *high five* Wonderful post, Abby! I'm super happy that we got to collab and work on this together. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fist bumps back to make a turkey, then says "Ba-la-la-la-la-la-la" to make it less awkward* Thank you, Charis! I'm super happy we got to collaborate too-- I'd love to collab again in the future! Can't wait to see your post up tomorrow!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  6. Awesome post, Abby!!

    Blogging has helped me open up my creativeness a lot more, but it may have helped in other ways that I didn't know about....

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine!

      The amazing thing about blogging is that it engages you into a ton of different skill sets you may have no engaged in before: photography, entrepreneurship, coding and design, and that's all only just scratching the surface!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  7. TRUE! Blogging has definitely been such an awesome way for so many people to expand themselves and grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I don't have social anxiety, it's helped me become a less reserved person and become more open. I love how blogging has helped so many change positively and for the better!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  8. Beautiful post, Abby! I especially agree about the first point: the people of the blogosphere are so encouraging and friendly and loving, and it's amazing how supportive and polite they generally are. The community is awesome. That's why writing a discussion blog post is - I think - so much better than having a controversial debate on social media. Blogging's safer, and the people are nicer :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you there-- this is why I love the blogging community so much, because of their supportiveness. It's funny, because I ended up chatting with a friend of mine wanting to do a senior project by creating a site that fosters good discussion and debate rather than the mania Twitter can often cause. I think it's because of the short characters-- you can't prove your point in more than three tweets, than people just keep fighting back. It's ridiculous.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  9. Amazing post! I strongly agree with the first point the most, Everyone in the blogosphere that i've meet are so kind and encouraging. I will be watching out for the part 2/3 on Charis and Mays blog!
    x Skye // A little inkling // http://alittleinklings.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Skye! Let us know what you think about parts two and three!!!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  10. Agreed! Blogging is such a great way to find your people. It's also helped me form my own opinions (the opportunity to read lots of posts by different people, etc) and become more confident in my interests. Great stuff.

    Feels Like Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just super cool to meet people who are in the same tribe, and while some people don't like conflict, I do agree that blogging allows opinions to clash and get expanded on instead of just running head first and spewing out words in a fit of anger, like a lot of social media sites do. Thank you.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah