21 June 2017

In Which Literary Characters Engage in the Hunger Games

Dun, dun, dun! The bowl of doom.

Hello, everyone! This is the moment of terror where all beloved characters are forced to battle it out in a Hunger Games free for all-- or battle it out in a very calm situation, depending on how it's viewed. Ellie from The Other Side of Reality lightly tagged me for this amazing endeavour, where thirty characters go head to head in a stand off and two are drawn each to answer a question, and whoever suits the question more wins! If you don't understand how it works, just read on. You'll capture the concept soon enough.

// You only have one more spot on your spelling bee team. Who gets it?
Dante Quintana (Artistole & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe) vs. Ron Weasley (Harry Potter)

I would love to say Ron! It’s important to have comedic relief when you’re in an intense competition, and if not available, the pressure cracks people sooner than later. Here’s the catch: I used the word “would,” because competitive streaks need to be backed with people who can keep up with the fast pace. At this point, I’ll have to say Dante-- did you see all the books he’s read? He’d be an asset, for sure.

// Both characters want to kill you. Whom would you kill first to have a better chance of survival?
Piper Mclean (Heroes of Olympus) vs. Cath Avery (Fangirl)

Hands down, Piper. Her charm speak would lure me to do monstrous things like confront a vicious pack of Jelly Baby (according to Riordan’s universe, are a very vicious species indeed). Plus, Cather wouldn’t really do anything harmful except for maybe chuck a book—poor novel! One should not throw books across the room.

// You're on the bachelor/bachelorette and down to two characters. Who gets your rose?
Cinder Linh (The Lunar Chronicles) vs. Teresa (The Maze Runner series)

I had to search this up because I’ve never seen an episode of The Bachelor(ette) nor its sibling spinoffs. For those of you who are as clueless I was, the rose chooses whoever stays on the show or who gets proposed to. If I were a guy, this This may seem rude since I didn’t like her character towards the end of her series, so Teresa would be eliminated, and Cinder would get the final rose.

// You've been chosen for the Hunger Games. Who's most likely to volunteer in your place?
Wesley (The Princess Bride) vs. Will Herondale (The Infernal Devices)

Hmm… both men would do anything for those they truly care for and they don’t seek glory. Will Herondale has rune magic, meaning he can manipulate his enemies from a further distance, if placed into the games. Wesley has an incredible amount of stamina and swordsmanship. I feel like Wesley would be easier in giving in to volunteering—Will does care for people, but he imparts the impression of aloofness for those he doesn’t really know a great level.

// You're stranded on an island and must engage in cannibalism to survive. Whom do you eat?
Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice) vs. Jude Sweetwine (I'll Give You the Sun)

This question freaks me out because cannibalism is gross? Sorry, Jude. Jude has a fiery streak and determination. I feel like Mr. Darcy has training in hunting and other important gentleman hobbies that don’t appear important at hindsight, but are essential in surviving an island for later.

// You're the next Marvel superhero (with your own TV show, of course). Who's your sidekick?
Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars) vs. Simon Snow (Carry On)

Is implementing the power of metaphors a super power? Because if so, then Augustus Waters. But Simon has wizard powers and is such a small bean—Simon would win, but just barely. Or here’s a better thought: Augustus would impart Simon and I wisdom when we are confused. He’ll practically be the Dumbledore – Gandalf character of the series (NO they are NOT played by the same actor).

// You're a manager of an avocado company. Whom would you fire for poor communication skills?
Hanna Donnelly (The Illuminae Files) vs. Ezra Mason (The Illuminae Files)

OH NO. Two characters from the same series! Ack! As manager, it is my pertinent duty to manage the avocado company in the tidiest way possible. The avocado industry has a high reputation needs to be upheld almost at a life or death stake—why do you think “avocado” and “avada kedevra” have the same two first letters?

Ezra does have a streak for defying conventionality (for the right reasons), and Hanna’s attention and combative skills make her a viable asset in protecting the company from competitors wanting to learn the secret to our success. What if he messes up? Sorry, Ezra, but you’ll have to go.

// You've just finished a book in which your favorite character dies. Which of these two characters is more likely to comfort you?
Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter) vs. Seraphina (Seraphina)

Seraphina… would be busy attending to palace duties. Dumbledore has time to talk to his students—he’d probably comfort me but cringe at the high increasing epidemic of fangirls crying over deceased characters.

// Ugh, it's high school. Who would most likely be part of the popular clique?

Kai (The Lunar Chronicles) vs. Eragon With Spoilery Last Name* (The Inheritance Cycle)

Eragon sometimes acts a bit immature and head strong, and sometimes I wonder if he ever smiles. Kai, on the other hand, will do sweet things for his friends like help decorate an impromptu wedding and he already has the entire Republic looking out at him for guidance, so I’ll go for him. 

// The day has arrived; you're finally a year older! Who would have the nerve to forget your birthday?
Noah Sweetwine (I'll Give You the Sun) vs. Emily Starr (Emily of New Moon)

Both characters would remember! But I feel like Emily would remember easier, because Noah forget easier if he ended up spending the entire afternoon frolicking with his significant other and running around, laughing despite them being seemingly opposites.

// You've just found an upcoming YouTube star! Whom is it more likely to be?
Tessa Gray (The Infernal Devices) vs. Lyra Belacqua (His Dark Materials

Tessa Gray would become a YouTube star! Lyra doesn’t seem like the type to have a YouTube channel—she’d rather be off adventuring. Tessa, on the other hand, would pretty much have a book channel, talking about the characters. Because she doesn’t age, no one would suspect a thing when she talks about books from the 1800s; they’d think she has a love for books in the romanticism period, which suits her.

// Sleepover time! Unfortunately, you can only invite one person. Who would it be?
Marie-Laurie Leblanc (All the Light We Cannot See) vs. Cress Darnel (The Lunar Chronicles)

GAHHHHH THESE ARE TWO OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS OF ALL TIME. Marie-Laurie is interesting to listen to—I’d love to hear how she perceived the events during World War II during the war, but the problem presents itself: I wouldn’t know how to talk to her. Cress would be super fun just fangirling, browsing on the ports at aesthetic photos and doing all of this without feeling super awkward.

// Bam, you're pregnant. Who's the father/mother?
Leo Valdez (The Heroes of Olympus) vs. David Charleston (The Reckoners trilogy)

BWAHAHAHA, David, leave! Leo would so be the dad; he’d be such a good parent.

// You've just written a super important text. Who would see it and not reply?
Voldemort (Harry Potter) vs. Lucy Pevensie (The Chronicles of Narnia)

Uh, duh! Voldemort. Lucy would always make sure to respond. To show you Voldemort’s track record on how good he is at replying or listening to text messages, many wizards in the community have tried to stop him from reigning London. Did he ever listen? Of course not. He only wants his messages to get through, and the same concept applies. I’d believe he would be a great YouTuber, though—the credit most recent on his filmography, “Beauty and Voldemort,” is a feat deserving many awards. 

// You've just woken up, and it's time for breakfast. Your mom's been replaced by.....whom?
Summer Dawson (Wonder) vs. June Iparis (The Legend trilogy)

Summer would be the perfect kind and caring mom, but I’d love it even more if it was June Iparis. Here me out: you’d have to consider the potential backstory as to what happened with my dad, too, and more than likely, the disappearance also happened to him, too. Which means more than likely, Day would be my dad and means my ship has sailed the rocky seas and even better, I’d be their kid and honestly road trips and stuff would be awesome! I’m just squealing by how amazing it would all be.

+ you!

42 comments:

  1. This was so much fun to read, oh, my goodness!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do the tag if you want, Gray-- it'd be so fun to read your answers and just flail. It'll literally be as great as having a sleepover with Cress, blogging style. *insert emoji with cool shades here*

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  2. I adore this idea! It's so fun! And OMG YES LEO WOULD BE THE BEST PARENT. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEO WOULD BE THE BEST PARENT. If our kid was a boy, he'd end up giving lessons on how to flirt and wouldn't really hold any shame about it (while also sharing stories about how he had flirted with me which would be SUPER embarassing but so him), but if our kid was a girl, he'd be the dad who'd calmly question the guys asking out our daughter but still grilling (what a pun, since he wields fire) him in a very CALM manner. :D Ahhhh, Leo Valdez and his model parenting skills.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  3. Haha this was awesome Abby. Loved it <3

    Anna - www.worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was such a fun post to write-- I had a fun time, and I guess that broadcasted through since you had a fun time, as well! <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  4. i love this tag and all of your answers! my favorite question was the one about the avocado company lol! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The avocado company was my favorite question, as well! I've gotten into avocados late (as in, an appreciation for them) and for that to time up when I was drafting this question was just perfect.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. YAY YAY YAY!

      That's good; it's okay. (And thus now our comment thread rhymes. xD)

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It is! ^.^ Thanks for stopping by, Hannah!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  7. I LOVE ALL OF THESE CHOICES (and hands down, Tessa would become my favourite YouTuber)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS TESSA. the next question is what she'd call her book channel; I'd love to say she'd call it "The Lit Quacker" just to (teasingly) make fun of Will's dislike of ducks. xD THAT'S IT IT NEEDS TO BE A THING.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  8. HAHAHA I had way too much fun reading this. I love imagining crossover worlds. :') Best tag idea! It's too bad Voledmort's really bad at replying back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crossover worlds are the BEST. Voldemort is really bad at replying back... one of his Death Eaters walked into a cafe and just kind of ranted about how Voldemort really needs to upgrade his phone, as his preferred mode of communication (via other Death Eaters) really isn't working out for him. Tsk, tsk, Voldy...

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  9. "Eragon With Spoilery Last Name" "Dun dun dun, the bowl of doom" I JUST ABOUT DIED. Lmao, I loved reading this! I didn't know you'd read Seraphina (maybe I just have the memory of cheesecloth); isn't it such a good book?? And thanks for linking back!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    P.S. - But do you know whom I would pick for my Ultimate Sidekick? Angela from Inheritance Cycle. She was singlehandedly The Best Thing about those books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OKAY BUT SERIOUSLY ERAGON DOES HAVE A SPOILER-Y LAST NAME. If readers who haven't read The Inheritance Cycle stumbled upon this, they would have practically had the series figured out. Seraphina is such a good book!!! The ending of Shadow Scale though just got me. (Also, you have a better memory than a cheesecloth-- cheesecloths can't carry a boatload of books in its clutches).

      Of course I'd link you back! You did introduce me to the tag, and it's important to give credit.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      P.S. YESSSSSSSSS ANGELA FAVE. <3

      Delete
  10. I know I wasn't officially tagged but I have to do this, It looks like so much fun!!!!!
    I loved your answers!
    Skye // A little inkling // alittleinklings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your answers, Skye! It's definitely a good intro post, especially since you're starting up your new blog right now.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, this is such a creative post and I love it. xD I would totally invite Cress to a sleepover, too. Or Iko! Imagine the fangirling. The Voldemort question totally made me snicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, if we had Cress AND Iko, it'd totally be the best sleepover ever. What do you mean, sleep? It's more like "we are coming to fangirl and squeal and eat food and just have the feels" over!!! And hehe... maybe Voldemort should have a Snickers, because as the slogan apparently goes, "You're not you when you're hungry." And Tom is hungry. Hogwarts didn't feed him well enough. :P

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  12. This is probably the best thing ever.

    - Fifi
    happyfionacoyneday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for tagging me, dear Abigail! I'll probably wait until I read a few more of the books on this list to do this tag, but this looks SO fun that I'll definitely be doing it! Plus my friend said that if I was tagged, I had to do this and tag her (because apparently she likes choosing between people XD). DANTE!!! I'M JUST GOING TO SCREAM OVER DANTE BECAUSE DANTE DANTE DANTE!!! <333

    may @ forever and everly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to use the characters in this tag, May-- you can totally choose characters from any book series (ADD IN VE SCWAB'S CHARACTERS. PLEASE)! Your friend sounds terrifying-- choosing is SOOOOO hard (also known as, "Help, choosing isn't fun because INDECIVENESS STINKS).

      YES DANTE okay so I was super bored in the hotel so I downloaded the book and all I want to do is scream and fangirl because HE'S SO HURT FOR AWHILE AND WE JUST CANNOT WITH THAT HE NEEDS TO BE OKAY FOR US FANGIRLS TO BE OKAY OKAY. <3 <3 <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
    2. Also, this is really last minute, but what time zone are you in and what time will you be able to post your post??? Do you know the points that I'm doing??? (*internally freaks out* It's been stressful because I have this and other posts to write since I'm going on vacay.)

      Delete
    3. I replied to your message earlier. ^.^

      Delete
  14. This is such a fun tag! I loved reading all your answers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. Which question was your favorite?

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness this is my new favorite tag! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! And hey, I better see your post up soon, since I did tag you after all. xD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  16. Thank you so much for tagging me! You are the absolute sweetest.

    MMMM YOUR CHOICES ARE GREAT!!! I love the pictures <3

    - andrea at a surge of thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Andrea! I can't wait to see you do this tag (and make all the characters just fight fight fight, even though it kills us on the insight).

      Haha, the photos... my bed was a total mess as I took those photos last minute before leaving for my flight. I guess they turned out okay if you liked them!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  17. What a creative tag! I hope you're enjoying your time away. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying my time away, actually! It's such a breather. It's nice to not think about responsibilities every once in awhile.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  18. Awesome tag, Abby, and I LOVE your choices :) So enjoyed reading this post <3
    Thanks for tagging me! I'll try get to it soon :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy!!! Can't wait to see once you get your post up!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  19. PS - I tagged for a little something on my blog...if you wanna check that out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, okay! *goes and runs off to Sunset's blog*

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah