06 June 2017

Explore The Outdoors: Bird Walk

This bird is adorable and is my bird form because this tree swallow just glances up and contemplates about life, even when people are staring at it.

"Moose, beavers, eagles, oh my! Moose, beavers, eagles, oh my!" 

If the quartet from The Wizard of Oz ever visited the bird boardwalk located a couple of miles outside of town, that's surely what they'd say. This is one of the five places that completes one bullet of my senior bucket list, thus the title.

My family decided to visit the area out on a limb, since it's a place we always pass by but never took a second glance at. After volunteering at a bird sanctuary fundraiser, learning about the Aubudon Society, and the luxury of wondering about their behavior after encountering one so kindly pooping into our yard, I wanted to go.

The post is a compilation of the three times we visited last week-- the first time with impending rainfall bestowed to the land five minutes after arrival, the second time when the sun came out, and the third time during a community event. Pamphlets and map greet newcomers as they enter the grounds. Until that day, I didn't know over fifty varieties of birds can be seen from that one speck of marsh land.

Fifty varieties of birds? Add that on to all of the aquatic life and other animals plus a beautiful sunset, and voilà! A beautiful place to observe wildlife in a habitat, free from restraints. Faint breezes blew, and sun felt warm on our faces. This is a photo dump larger than conventional, but I love and adore my state so much and have to share it; it's pure magnificence worthy of writing about.

 Waiting for the oncoming rain...

 One of the many birdhouses that's on the board walk!

 Literally five minutes after my brother took this photo, the rain poured down super hard.

A ton of running happened on the boardwalk that's a bit more jostling than rollerblades... just saying.

If you're short, it's hard to look through this stationary binoculars and zoom through. All we could see were houses on the mountain side! 

 Another outlook of the marsh.

 Isn't this aesthetically pleasing?

This is such a blurry photo, BUT it's depicting two tree swallows mating, where one of the birds (I think it's the male) flies back and forth towards the other bird just perched sitting. 

 This outlook runs around a half mile, but it took two hours to fully explore.

 Ducks!

There were two people (not pictured) that kept scaring away the swallows when people who want to take photos tried to come close to them which is rude on so many levels. Still irks me right now. 

 SO CUTE. The tree swallow's eyes, though!

 A couple of Canadian Geese.

 This place is just wide open with mud, bodies of water, and grasslands-- perfect for wildlife.

 Pretty marsh shadows. Random fact: it's easy to tell a woodpecker flying! Just watch for an undulation pattern back and forth.

 Outlook of the tracks and the road.

 This beaver snacked for ten minutes posing and it's incredibly adorable how they just chew away contently and think, "Oh, hello humans. Watch me pose and eat!"

 Bye, Mr. Beaver! Thank you so much for your hospitality. (Literary reference!)

 I love the pattern the boardwalk makes as the sun is setting.

 The bird walk is near a state highway, thus frequent wind and railroad noise.

 Featuring my brother who took photos via a phone.

Sometimes, there are small fish that swim around the water. It's nice to glance down and see how clear it is with the sediment settled and everything. 

 I couldn't believe how many kids there were visiting the bird boardwalk-- I've ran into roughly thirty kids with kazoos sprinting and trying to either play tag or find birds.

 Thinking maybe to take my senior photos here... yes or no?

This view is so much better if senior photos are going to get taken. 

 This couple was extremely nice as they're frequent bird watchers and helped spot some woodpeckers and eagles that would have gone unnoticed!

 There's an eagle in this photo-- can you find it?

 Some birds eat spiders... no wonder why they were absent from their webs!

 Now, can you spot the eagle's old nest? You'll find it soon.

There are so many bird houses, but capturing the birds as they're flying into them is hard!

 One moose antler is fifteen pounds! I could hardly believe it as I carried this up. It's so heavy!

 The porcupine from the zoo fell asleep shortly after we arrived near the viewing area. The porcupine's so peaceful, wouldn't you say?

Here are the four stages salmon go through as they grow up. Do you pronounce it "sa-mon" or "sal-mon"? 

We saw a mother moose with her two calves and it was the sweetest thing ever! This was the hardest to photograph, because this happened during the Discovery Day and five people crammed next to me to take the photo. I had to climb up the fence to not have shadows greet my photos.

22 comments:

  1. Those birds are so cute! Wonderful pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they the cutest? I really wanted to visit them today, as this was when the Aubudon Society would host guided walks, but it wasn't sunny so I couldn't go. Thank you so much, Nabila!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  2. Wow, these are all amazing pictures! I LOVE the ones of mountains -- ever since I went skiing, I've fallen in love with mountains. They're just SO SO PRETTY AND I LOVE THEM SO MUCH AGHAHGHAHG. I also like the aesthetically pleasing binocular thing, and your shadows! I love abstract shots like that. ;)

    Gorgeous pics, Abigail! Looks like you had a lot of fun. :D

    may @ forever and everly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, May! The mountains and the incredible sunrises and sunsets are the things I'm going to miss the most once I leave for college. Most of the mountains down south are so much smaller and to see majestic mountain ranges makes you just want to sit down and just watch them. THEY'RE JUST SO PRETTY.

      SKIING! I've never been skiing (renting and buying equipment is expensive) but I love visiting the ski resorts and various lifts, as we do have several. Abstract shots are also fun-- I'd love to work on more conceptual photography, but my tripod is currently missing and that worries me. It's been gone ever since I repainted my room! *cries*

      I did have a ton of fun! I can't wait to go back.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  3. This is so cool! I love the pictures, they are so cooling and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! And haha, "cool" is kind of a pun; it gets pretty cold in the bird walk area! xD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  4. I love coming to your blog because your pictures are always so aesthetically pleasing. Thanks for making the blogging world just a little bit better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Lauren. *hugs* And I love your blog because you write posts about topics that most people tend to shy away from, and you bring about the honest truth about them. <3 I've missed you tons from the blogging community-- I really hope you're coming back and I can't wait to see you around more frequently.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  5. That looks like a lovely spot - the mountains, and birds, and everything! I think it would be great for a senior photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a place worth visiting, for sure! <3 And I am considering it for a senior photo shoot-- the problem slightly is because it is out of town, some photographer companies may shy away from it. Hopefully all will be figured out soon enough!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  6. These are beautiful photographs! It seems like an amazing place :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing place. <3 Thanks for stopping by, Jollygirl!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photographs and scenery! It looks so refreshing :) Really enjoyed this post, Abby. What a lovely spot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so cool (temperature wise) that the light breeze is indeed refreshing. Thanks, Amy. <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  8. Your photos never fail to impress me! x
    http://imyimyimy.blogspot.co.uk/ <<drop a comment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's so sweet of you, Imogen! Thanks for stopping by!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  9. I would love to do something like this! Looks so beautiful and peaceful!

    Heidi 🍓 | Heidi's Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Heidi! Thanks for stopping by!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you, Daisy! Such kind words <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  11. "Ah, yes...I've found the eagle...wait..." *cleans screen off* "That was a piece of dust."
    yeah I'm a professional. XD *face palm*
    BIRDS ARE SO INTRIGUING. I need to spend more time actually figuring out what they are. But oh man, I don't have the place nor the time. Summer has me packed with other activities. It's pretty cool that you got the chance to learn all this though!
    As for taking senior pictures there, I'd say it's a very beautiful place...though it does have an abundance of people (from what I can tell in the pictures). So keep that in mind?
    also I pronounce it sal-mon when I'm not paying attention, but I'm 99% certain it's actually pronounced sa-mon. I'm actually just the worst at pronouncing any slightly complicated word that exists. XD
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that was high-key actually me when editing photos. It took me twenty minutes to find the eagle and once I found it, I flailed. I don't know whether the flailing was from happiness or annoyance of finding specks of dust that so happened to fall into my laptop keyboard which drives me INSANE but I clean it out with a toothpick and the canned air sprayed thingymabobs. xD

      But... but you live in Colorado! And Colorado is cool. I had a friend when I was really young (super young where I still can't believe I remember this) who moved there, and I remember my mouth just dropping because I thought he was leaving all his stuffed animals behind. YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE STUFFED ANIMALS BEHIND.

      Yeah, the people problem is a big worry I have to consider factoring into. There are some other places taken into consideration, but they're not as open, if that makes sense???

      BWAHAHA I stink at pronouncing everything. This just sends me back to memories where I had this friend who can spelled words incorrectly all the time, so in return, they'd correct me every time something got misspelled. Glad to know that some people say "sal-mon," though! It's comforting to the mind. XD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah