16 March 2017

Stranger Things Happened This Past Month


 Art central, let's go! Most of my friends are artistic in drawing or painting.

High school pulled me back into the depths of the busy life, and luckily Spring Break has given a reprieve before the last fourth of the school year comes into play. Internally, you're all thinking, "Abby, where were your 'scheduled posts?'"

*cue cricket noises*

In short, the posts didn't schedule properly and so none of them posted the times I wanted them to. Enough excuses: let's talk about the pancake and doughnut-filled month I had!

// Blog Designing? My return to the blogging world would have been sooner, but I decided to help a "new" blogger converting from Wordpress by designing her blog. It's still a work in progress, but isn't her header pretty? I ended up lettering a lot of her decorative text. Go say hello to Allie Taylor, everyone!

 I lose interest when it comes to painting, thus this piece being dubbed, "The Collection of Miscellaneous Thoughts (With a Five-Year-Old Aesthetic)"

One of my friends was teaching how to draw out something using this circle, but what it was, I can't remember exactly.

// I am overcoming my fear of horror films (slowly). Scary movies became a fear of mine at the age of ten. I can't go into specific details, but the generalization is this: my eldest cousins decided to put on an incredibly intense and mature movie, driving ten-year-old me to play Lego Harry Potter on my pink Nintendo DS in the kitchen an hour past my bed time. For future reference, focusing on moving around the Dursley household to forget the terrifying images from hours before is a very healthy way to cope with the aftershocks.

We have the essentials... we should have gotten a bigger bag of Swedish fish. We need more protein to deal with our anxiousness and jumpiness at midnight!

Several weeks ago, my small friend group planned to binge watch all eight episodes of Stranger Things in one night. Swedish fish and chocolate pudding became energy for our venture. The show was grounded enough with fleshed characters to make its storyline less intimidating. The first episode played. Poor Will Byers disappeared eight minutes in. This plan backfired to a small degree because when my friend's three other siblings were all streaming Netflix at eleven o'clock (what a coincidence) and it kept buffering at the ending of Episode One to where the wifi in the house was turned off. "Want to watch Breaking Dawn: Part Two?" asked my friend's eight-year-old brother when he exited Netflix. Another friend was up for it. I shook my head, turned towards the bedroom, and collapsed asleep.

What's more terrifying than a film adaptation of majority-voted Mary Sues? Waking up to the alarm clock going off at five in the morning and the Breaking Dawn screen selection lighting the wall on a Saturday.

I'm sorry I keep posting food items! They're just really good, though...

// Declamation for Spanish Poetry. I received first at the regional level, yay! Sadly, I didn't get anything at the state level, but there's always next year.

I sketch rather lightly, but it's a portrait of one of my characters when she dresses in everyday attire. The hat came before the "Wot in Tarnation" meme popularity. 

// One small detail change causes ripple effects-- in a novel! I'm still editing and rewriting Hidden in the Shadows for critique in the fourth quarter and to prep from the second novel of the series, tentatively scheduled for writing over the summer. The stakes will be higher with the conflict. All I can say is this: the most docile character of the quartet will slowly destroy the team. This is going to be a ton of fun. A formal post about it will go up in July, if it becomes my Camp NaNoWriMo novel.
Several weeks ago, I reexamined the series fixed plot points and realized Sam needed to become aware of one aspect that in previous drafts he was oblivious of to help the growth of his relationships. His growth comes into play to pacify the silent destruction one of the four makes.

The internal groans cannot be loud enough already, but again, if one would like to protect their novel, it's essential to take care of your characters. In short, certain dialogue will be scrapped and replaced. His featured chapters will be edited and scattered in with a more cohesive plot line, and the obscurity of his backstory will be clarified. I am ready to put my characters in a world of turmoil-- oh, wait, right. Authors shouldn't take joy in destroying their characters, but a tiny fraction of them do to allow their growth.

Now that I think about it, the sketches kind of also look like the Wolverine. Hmm...

A huge aspect of my time is also spent drawing characters. Guy hair is hard to draw; I doodled some perfectly in between class periods, but when it comes down to the actual drawing? Both male protagonists look like Mr. Darcy.

// I'm super pumped for Beauty and the Beast and Anne: the Series! They're some of the strong independent fictional heroes I looked up to as a kid, and my friends have been fangirling over Gaston's high tenor voice.

These books are ALL. SO. GOOD.

// Speaking of writing, I applied for writing scholarships for summer camps and now I've been waiting anxiously for the results. It's been forever since an opportunity to the writing craft became available. Old clubs shut down, budgets got cut, and the only way to receive actual critique is to sign up for the adult clubs which require a hefty membership fee.

WAITING FOR THIS IS TWICE AS HARD AS WAITING FOR CAST LISTS. This is something I really want. I want to learn and improve while meeting like-minded people all at the same time. The best way to pacify the wait is studying for AP Calculus and reading novels.

The room as we watched Woman in Gold-- it's a good movie involving art and history, based on a true story!

What posts are coming up? A rant about college, an interview, and far off into the depths of April, a post about party planning involving mascara, five dollars, and hugging, but that's a story for another time. I'm also really excited for my school year wrap up post(s) because, if it's anything like the previous two years, I have some good content to share!

Have you seen Stranger Things? Would you like to enter a foreign language declamation contest? What's been going on in your life?

24 comments:

  1. Nice post! I haven't watched Stranger Things yet as I don't have Netflix, my dad won't buy it for the fam but I have heard so much about it and all good things too. I have been pretty busy too, I have a play coming up in 2 weeks so I have had a lot of rehearsals for that.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ro! I know the struggle of getting Netflix-- only one of my friends has it, so it took a ton of planning for us to get together to watch the series. It's definitely worth watching though, so if you somehow get Netflix and want to get into a new series, it's a good place to start!

      AHHHHH I'm so jealous of you doing a play. I haven't performed in a year and I'm trying to hold on. I miss the stage. What show are you doing, and what role do you play? Whatever they may be, I hope you break a leg (and hopefully tech week doesn't take out all of your energy, eep)!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Abigail! The new blog design looks amazing. I also dislike horror films. But, after watching Stranger Things, I feel more comfortable with them. Also - finish Stranger Things ASAP. It's SO good!! Wishing you much love for your novel. <3

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Anna! I seriously love the summer-y vibe. I am ready for summer-- but I need to make a few tweaks, though, as there are certain aspects I want to add, like a scroll up button and social media share icons at the bottom of the post.

      I FINISHED WATCHING STRANGER THINGS. I had to go over to another friend's house (not the one who was mentioned here) but we finished it and it was glorious. They better go to the Snowball together or some dance-- you know who I'm talking about. Ahhhh! I have so many theories. It's also super cool to see Winona's and Noah's resemblances to one another. Someone put a photo of teenage Winona from her Heathers days and the resemblance is real.

      Also, Hopper just placed the food in the box? Well, it's the Upside Down. If lights can be manipulated by movement it's not hard to see food in the Upside Down just popping there... I've said too much. But we need to fangirl soon, ahhhh!!!

      My novel has been sitting on the shelf the past two days because I had to watch musicals I told myself almost nine months ago to watch and have been patiently waiting on the DVR. I also need to finish a book ACK!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  3. I AM OBSESSED WITH THIS NEW DESIGN OH MY GOODNESS. <3 It is so cute and so you and I just love it you're a literal sunflower.

    I love Allie's header!! The lettering is stunning.

    I still haven't brought myself to watch Stranger Things! I suppose I should...

    Your novel sounds so cool. I forever volunteer as a beta reader.

    HARDER THAN WAITING FOR A CAST LIST?????? My mind is blown. I did not know that level of anxiety existed.

    I'm so excited for your upcoming posts!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been called many things, but I've never been called a sunflower before. ^.^ It's a little throwback to one of my favorite designs from three years ago. I can't believe three years ago it was 2014, which was one of the most adventurous and eventful years of the many I've been doing this thing called life.

      ^ Okay that actually made me sold really old like I'm sixty when I'm actually at the age to not even touch the numbers ending in -ty or "tee" yet what?

      The lettering was super hard to do! I have this app that allows for beautiful calligraphy but because much of the letters are uneven, it takes about 90% of the header making process to thicken out certain letters and connection. And yes watch Stranger Things. It does seem scary but it has such well-rounded characters and comedic moments but also heart-wrenching moments that makes you want to scream, "Why?!?!?"

      Dude, I am so getting you as a beta reader. If I don't finish editing before the summer comes I am going to be a pile of burnt shish kebabs. Senior year next year (AHHHHHHHH) plus college apps (AHHHHHHHHH!!!!) plus physics (faints from the screaming) is going to destroy us. Our anxiety levels are just building up.

      And I've never actually thought there was a greater anxiety of checking my emails daily. I told one of my teachers that I was going to just refresh emails all during break and they looked at me with a face riddled with "????"

      I'm super excited for you to see them! Kind of wish it was May, though, because the end of the school year wrap-up posts are my favorites. "Life Stories, Volume Three!"

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  4. Abigail your life updates are always so interesting, like seriously. You're always doing something!

    I've heard of Stranger Things but haven't watched and don't know if I want to; did you like it?

    Why do we have so much in common though; like I'm grinding to find writing opportunities this summer as well (because SENIOR YEAR THIS FALL AGHHHH), I'd love to write a book someday (I need to follow your awesome example and just do it!) and I'm trying to get into lettering more so I can do it for other people (and also hopefully for money?). You've done great work with Allie Taylor's blog so far ^_^

    Love your update post and happy to be back to reading about you! (Also I read your lovely comment on my post and I responded over there but I just wanted to say THANK YOUU here as well. Plus I call other people chica too! Well. In my head I do. And it's still awesome :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to eighth grade year, I've actually done much less, which is kind of irritating, but that's also one of the downsides of having a license but not a car and limited winter driving experience (I've had a lot but not to the amount of driving on an icy highway to get to the most metropolistic part of the city). It's mainly been lounging around, but honestly? I can't really sit still and because my mind is in constant movement to go out and do something it's something that just needs to be done, if you understand what I mean.

      I really liked Stranger Things. I don't watch much TV because the rest of my family takes up our television set in the living room, but it has such great components for a good show: great character development, plot line, setting... okay, maybe I'm a bit biased because I loved the eighties decade (also known as the decade with some of the greatest music produced in the twentieth century) but it's really good. Everyone actually talks like normal human beings, and it makes you want to go out on a bike and explore with friends then feasting on Eggos and chocolate pudding since monster hunting in the neighborhood is fun. I'd literally like to give up a summer and kind of live a life like that.

      I actually have a couple writing opportunities (like mentorships, perhaps?) coming up that I can possibly send to you? They're more aimed towards our age group and they're also judged on the national level but they're huge. And amazing. I'm also thinking about writing a post about how to prep for a novel you don't know much about plot wise... there are many things to do, and while some of my methods are um, unconventional (I sometimes have to LARP out my own scenes to understand how to describe the scene) but seriously, just go for it! First drafts are always messy, but it gets better-- the middle drafts of many help construct the frame work and the final drafts are for touching up on things. Plus you get to reward yourself with ice cream in the end which is a bonus!

      OH MY GOSH I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!! I never say, "chica," out loud because people may think it's weird but that's how I sometimes refer to people. We just twin at everything. *high fives*

      I'm really, really happy you're back, Olivia. ^.^

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  5. Love these updates! What a fun post and CONGRATS on your Spanish poetry accomplishment! Such a gorgeous language already, and poetry I can believe is even more spectacular :D. LOVE the blog design-- as someone who hopes to build and design websites one day, I love going around and being inspired by cute designs like this and the one for Allie's blog!
    Unfortunately I don't have Netflix :/ my pen pal in Ireland keeps nudging me to watch Stranger Things and I know somehow or another I'll get to it, but for now I shall try to lay low and not find spoilers! Best of luck with writing summer program scholarships-- I can definitely feel your pain as I'm waiting for the results of a writing award at my university to be announced! *excited teeth emoji* WHOA so funny you mention "Woman in Gold" cuz I was *JUST* talking about that film with people in my church group the other night! It sounds like such an intriguing film, I really should give it a watch!
    Love your cute photos and I wish you all the best your busy high school weeks and I can't wait to see what you've got planned for the blog in a couple weeks!
    <3
    xx
    Steph
    strictlystephanie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spanish is such a gorgeous language, indeed! A lot of people boast that French is rather pretty, but there are just many beautiful languages out there-- like Italian. There's a reason why they're considered the romantic languages! Thank you so much about the blog designs! It's more of a hobby for me, but I hope to see your beautiful designs in the future!

      If you don't have Netflix, I'd suggest to go over to a friend's house and have a binge watching session, similar to what I did-- if not, there's a chance to watch it with their one month free trial? That's also another option. The series is really good-- it's amazing to see it all unfold, so indeed, no spoilers! Tell me how your writing competition at the university goes! And eeep, if you have a chance to watch Woman in Gold, go for it! The fact that it's based on an actual story and the story itself... it's intricate but astonishing.

      I'm excited too for the upcoming blog posts! Although I'm at a dilemma on what to post this upcoming week because of two post ideas vying for attention... oh dear. ^.^'

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  6. Stranger Things is such an amazing show! Did you like it?
    Congrats on getting first in regionals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stranger Things is THE BEST. I don't have much to compare it to since, as stated in previously, I don't watch TV on my own due to reasons, but it is incredibly well-written and with only eight episodes giving all of the characters arcs and three-dimensional personalities, it is hands down one of the best television shows out there right now. I can't wait for season two to come out! I have so many questions, especially about the new characters-- how does Max and everyone else tie in? I'd love to discuss theories with you if you've watched the entire season!

      Thank you so much, Jollygirl!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this post! I'm also trying to get over my fear of horror films, but... *cowers* THEY ARE SCARY. I need to be braver, lol.
    That food looks amazing! Now I'm hungry ;)

    New GFC follower :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cowers under the blanket* It's funny, because one of the paragraphs initially drafted up talked about dealing with horror movies, and I said to watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... only to realize that there's the tunnel scene and some people are downright terrified of that. I have faith that you can be braver, Amy! And mhm, food... I'm full from the pineapple smoothie I drank a hour ago.

      Thanks for following, Amy! I followed you back, although I'm afraid I won't be able to comment until tomorrow.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  8. Abigail, you have such a sweet blog!! Your design is just superb. I have really been enjoying reading your posts. <3 Rock on, girlfriend!
    Your art is fantastic and very impressive. I especially loved the "The Collection of Miscellaneous Thoughts (With a Five-Year-Old Aesthetic)". It's very abstract and creative!
    xx

    Sophy
    lavender & blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY HI SOPHY! *waves* Thank you so much! I've been following your blog for some time-- it's more of checking in and reading your posts, though. I really need to follow you via GFC or Bloglovin because that hasn't happened yet! Agh, the duty of life and its demands call, though.

      And the art in the post-- haha. ^.^' Out of my immediate friend group quartet, I'm the least artistic in terms of drawing stuff out. My friends are the true artists working with all different mediums-- they're going places with their art, like animation studios. I'm glad you liked "The Collection of Miscellaneous Thoughts (With a Five-Year-Old Aesthetic)". I hardly paint with watercolor due to a lack of an easel. Have you done any watercolor painting, and if so, how do you like it? :D

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  9. I've actually been really wanting to watch Stranger Things. A lot of people around me like it a lot. A lot of my professors like it, which is also weird.

    And Beauty and the Beast was so beautiful! Also, when does this Anne series start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have time to watch it, Hannah, defintely watch it-- I actually heard of the show through several bloggers but I wasn't really interested in it until one of my teachers brought it up in class every single day. She's basically the trendsetter, because whatever she says usually becomes popular, and not to worry, the things she recommends usually turns out good.

      Beauty and the Beast was SPECTACULAR. I don't remember much of the animated version because of how young I was when I watched it, but I loved the Beast's song and Le Fou as a character was so lovable and comedic. To watch my childhood movie come to life was an incredible experience. What are your expanded thoughts about the movie? And Anne: the Series comes out on May 12th on Netflix, although people in Canada are able to watch the series now, I believe. Lucky them! I want to watch it so badly!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
    2. Beauty and the Beast was so lovely! I loved the realness of it paired with the extravagant beauty. The beast's character was stronger, and I liked how they expanded Belle's past. Gaston was perfect, and the servants were so charming!

      ANNE IS COMING TO NETFLIX!!!!! i am so excited, like.... wow.

      Delete
  10. I have not seen Stranger Things. I might check it out, but I'm not too much of a TV person :P I do get your fear of horror films though; I've never liked those. I'm more of an action/sci-fi person.

    And it's so cool that you draw your characters! That's seriously awesome <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, TV's not really my thing, too. At least you're spending your time productively with other things like writing! I'm more of an action person too, although I love fantasy movies. Because they're so scarce nowadays compared to sci-fi, I watch sci-fi more often even though it comes to a third.

      You should draw your characters! Even if you think that you can only draw stick figures, it really helps seal the image of your characters in your head, because as great as Pinterest may be in finding photos, it's an entirely new playing field trying to draw out your characters to how you imagined them that maybe the photo didn't exactly capture. Thanks for stopping by, Audrey! <3 I always love hearing from you.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
    2. BRUH. STRANGER THINGS. I watched it a few months ago and can I just...I just want to adopt all of them, y'know? Poor kids. (Jim Hopper is my spirit animal.)

      - Aimee (To the Barricade!)

      Delete
    3. Aimee, YAAAASSS Hopper is the best! I heard that there's a scene in Season Two where Hopper does his own thing with music, according to the actor David Harbour, and I'm super excited.

      AND YES. We shall adopt everyone and it shall be the greatest thing. ^.^

      Delete
  11. I'm in the middle of Stranger Things right now-- I've been enjoying it with my friends as well! It's so good! So fun seeing all the art in this post. I'm stopping by because a) you understand my Fun obsession and b) I saw you followed me on bloglovin and wanted to say a thank you <3 You have such a lovely blog here-- I love the layout and color scheme and all the cute graphics! Keep up the great work!
    -Vivian

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah