05 January 2017

2017 New Year's Resolutions & Survey


The New Year has arrived, and it's that time of year to create new year's resolutions. Now, I've read some pretty decent posts by my good friends Rachel, Hannah, and Oakstar. Self-improvement is a lifelong process. It's exceptionally important to understand the root of the problem of something one is trying to improve at and then work towards that, although not having to follow the traditional set path put on the ground. These are all important things to consider.

Here are the targets I have for this year. Except for the writing category and one in the Life section, every single target set on the list is broad. I’m not too keen on having a set plan that lacks a chance for any sort of wiggle room. Many more targets exist, but these are the ones I want to strive for this year, as I do believe they are practical and easy to accomplish.


// If life allows for it, get a job. (At the very minimal, a summer job.)

// Write snail mail. There is something simple and grounded in handwriting a letter and sending it to another person in a physical form that electronic communication sometimes fails to express. One of my mentors over the past two years moved away, and I've been meaning to send her mail because she did leave a way of communication.

// Study effectively for school and have an idea about post-high school life. I've progressed in my study habits degree, but little details need to be tweaked for finer improvement. Also, as for what I'm planning to do after high school? Go to a university, for sure, but to major in what, I don't know. Right now, I'm considering to enter Environmental Engineering with Creative Writing as my minor. Thinking about the future terrifies down to the legs, but a choice which needs to be solidified (at least, as an action plan) near the end of the year.


// Drink lots of water and moisturize often.
// Stretch and get active frequently. With dance lessons and potential rehearsals, this should be fine.
// Read at least 75 books. I miss reading lots, but my to-be-read pile is ready to be read.
// Open to the future more certainly.
// Comment on more blogs.
// Stick with good close friends that can be relied upon, and view them as equals.
// Stress less, and learn how to relax more.


// Write at least 500 words daily. If this happens, then it would roughly come 182,000 words over the year! That’s a lot.

// Finish editing Hidden in the Shadows by spring. My editing process has been snail-paced in the fast-paced world screaming to prepare for college, but I may or may not have accidentally told some people who I interact on a day-to-day basis that they can beta read starting a certain date. Externally, I quietly smile as said people flail around because they've been wanting to see my writing for months. Internally? I'm screaming my head off while also fangirling too much at the world created to do productive work. At least there's a fixed reason editing needs to occur, pronto. 

// Write the first draft of its sequel. Hidden in the Shadows is a part of a five-installment series (which I'm super pumped to unveil). There is so much that goes within the surface that I want to throw a party with confetti at the end— the story of my four protagonists is burning to uncover itself. Especially when (insert a million spoilers here) happens!

// Write around sixty blog posts. 

// Enter more writing competitions. Kate of Clover Kate cracks me up so much because she's 
always complaining about scholarships and the hunt for college money. There are five competitions I'm eyeing at that provide money—every little bit is going to help. I'm also entering for the sole purpose of competing. Showing off my work isn't in my comfort zone, but I must admit, it's a little bit fun.

// Submit pieces for lit magazines. Christina Im, who I've known for almost five years where I know her screen name from her youthful NaNoWriMo days, dominates this area (as she does with everything else). Her work has been published in so many lit journals, both in online and print format, and why not submit work to them? I'm so excited to step foot into this aspect of writing, and suddenly, it makes this aspect of the world appear more defined.


// Complete things for a bucket list that I won't be revealing until May. This is a specific bucket list that needs competition at a certain time, but it needs more time before it's revealed. Why? There are many reasons. All I can say is this year is going to bring it.

// Explore more of the state and travel. The chances of my family traveling are somewhat probable, so wherever we decide to embark to, the trip will be great (expect a travel log)!

// Attend youth group more. I'm so pumped for the activities we're doing this semester. Hiking? Acting nights? Captain America movie marathon? Yes, please!

// Work on the other project related to my introversion and sort of fear of social conversation... talking is hard when you're getting to know people, but it's incredible, the meaningful one-on-one conversation that can pop up. Meeting new people can be fun, sometimes, when not bombarded with numerous names at the same time. This is more of a personal project that won't be discussed much on the blog. Yes, there is fifty ongoing projects and their long titles are rather vague, but trust me, there's more to them than how I'm wording it right now. 


What are your New Year's resolutions / targets? What are your expectations and fears for this year? Also, maybe take this survey!

26 comments:

  1. I took your survey! Rambled a bit there... hope you enjoy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OAKSTAR I FREAKING LOVE YOU <3 <3 <3 I saw your note at the end of the post and it made me tear up a bit. And don't worry about rambling there much! Much of the survey's questions is to get to know fellow bloggers better. <3 It's easy to tell who's who in the survey based on the answers.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. These are great goals, girl!! Have a great New Year! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo, Clara! I'm so stoked for these goals to actually be brought into frustration! I hope you have a great New Year, too!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited for you and all of your goals!! You're going to rock this year. And I'm also quite intrigued by all of your vague projects...can't wait to hear more!!

    p.s. FLAILING BC ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEEEEEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, besides the two projects mentioned in the post, you do know of one more. I'm super excited for that third project (it's going to be great, I just know it)!

      xoxo Morning

      P.S. It's actually for school but I was able to convince my teacher to read it as my AP Lang book so I'm really happy about that. ^.^

      Delete
  4. I did the survey :)! Good luck on your goals, keep us updated on how its going :)!!!

    xx Bubbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you took the survey, Bubbles! I loved your answers! I'll try to do a progress update about resolutions halfway through the year.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie! I hope that whatever your New Year's Resolutions are, that you're able to strive and accomplish them. Hope your January goes by smoothly!

      xoxo Morning

      P.S. I saw your concern that you wrote on the survey; it's a problem I've noticed too and I'm really sorry that I haven't been able to really work on it (this school year is so crazy I hardly have time to write blog posts anymore) but I'm really going to try this year and improve on that. Expect a new blog page up in the next week that's actually dedicated to working on said concern. ^.^

      Delete
  6. This is an awesome list! Environmental engineering sounds interesting - what kind of stuff do you learn? :) Hope all your goals are accomplished. Well done on the yearbook, I loved reading through the quotes and the timeline surprised me a lot - I can't believe all those events happened in one year, to be honest. Time flies. :') Can't wait to hear about your future projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I can feel that this explanation is going to be LONG.

      Currently, I'm taking AP Environmental Science, and that's the thing-- the field is incredibly broad because it covers everything: agriculture, waste management, the human population, anything and everything relating to Earth and it's environmental problems. I honestly love the stuff that I'm learning in there, because of it's broadness. I've also loved learning about renewable energy from past engineering summer camps, so the two of these combined would be amazing to work on, especially since it's tackling problems straight on in a world where science and the environment always changes. I've always been set about entering the engineering world since seventh grade camp, and it's also a job I'd be constantly immersed and interested in because of the changes. Plus, solving problems like waste management and clean water? Um, yes please!

      The events on the yearbook-- I know, right? There were so many things that happened which I completely forgot about and felt this huge rush like, "WhOA." People bash how 2016 was a terrible year, but because of how we've endured through all of the stuff the year had thrown, that's why I'm going to remember it. We've survived before. The human spirit is persistent. We'll survive again.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation, ES sounds awesome! Just what the Earth needs right now, right? Hope it goes well. :)

      Delete
    3. Yup! Just what the earth needs now. Especially since sinkholes are becoming a more common thing and their frequent occurrences are due to water under the surface being pulled out at such an alarming rate.

      Delete
  7. You have THE BEST goals, Morning - I love how you were able to think of so many! :D Snail mail is something I'd like to write more of, too - getting handwritten letters is so fun *nodnod*.

    OH GRACIOUS - you're going to try and write 500 words DAILY?! *applauds you* I hope you're able to accomplish that goal, because it is AWESOME. *gives you all the cookies to motivate you*

    Ooh, what are some of the competitions you're entering? I love entering writing competitions, but I never seem to hear about them xD.

    And I'm super curious about this bucket list of your's now ... ;).

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Savannah! I just sent my first snail mail letter ever (it's really exciting, I'm still squealing!) and to just get something that someone spent equally the same amount of time on-- now that's fun. The excruciating part is waiting. *flails*

      Ha, I'm actually failing on writing portion of things, 500 words speaking. I wrote five hundred words last night, so that makes up for that! The five hundred words will be up on a blog post in about an hour. xD I think you ate all of the cookies... *points to the empty plate*

      I'll send you a list of writing competitions soon! There are a ton out there but there are some really good notable ones to remember.

      (You'll see the bucket list soon. It involves me doing things while I haven't turned old. Still more obscure, but at least you a hint.)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. You have amazing goals! Good luck on all of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jollygirl! Whatever your goals are for this upcoming year, I hope you're able to achieve them. <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. This looks really cool! I hope my blog can be as good as yours one day -TargetGirl targetgirlonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TargetGirl-- with a ton of time and effort, your blog is going to turn out great. Look at you know! Yours is pretty good. Good is such a general term-- give yourself a bit more credit! You're off to a wonderful start. Happy 2017!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. love this!
    chloee
    sparkofmads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Chloe's <3 Glad to hear from you!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. Very motivational New Year Resolutions. I'm not so good at keeping them which is why I've kept them to a low-standard minimum. But anyways, good luck in achieving them! Really admire your blogging style, by the way.

    Ps: Do you have a SnapChat account for this blog? If so, give me your name and I'll follow you.

    #sweetreats xxx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually not good at keeping my resolutions either, but that's because I never actually set anything for my resolutions (as in writing it down and letting the resolutions exist outside the mindscape). I hope your goals are achieved, as well!

      I'm sorry, but I don't have Snapchat for my blog or personal use. Social media feels like it could stress me out, so I try not to get myself involved with it. I'll check out your blog tomorrow, though-- it's getting late here!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  12. DUDE YOU HAVE SO MANY RESOLUTIONS. I'm staring at them and my jaw is hanging wide open. You're gonna be a busy person, but YOU CAN CONQUER ALL OF THE THINGS. <3

    And omg, the font you use in the pictures makes my heart melt. IT'S SO PRETTY. O.O

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONQUERING THINGS YES. I'm so scary / terrified / *insert a bunch of synonyms for fear here.* Twenty-two days into the New Year and so many things planned have gone awry. It's okay though, because there are cookies and doughnuts to compensate. This year, I'm going to be the doughnut queen. xD Another resolution left unchecked, but it's there.

      The font is so hard to do! It's actually my own handwriting via an art app on my phone-- the brush stroke and thickness and all that jazz are very hard to control. I'm glad you like it though, Katie!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah