04 October 2016

Dear YA Novels




Dear YA Novels,

Recently I have turned sixteen. Since it has been awhile since the two of us have been caught together amidst the skew of things, I should probably disregard any assumption you have formulating in the back of your mind: no, the world has not yet turned into a dystopia with a surge of technology, ruined coastlines, and egregious systems of government. No fantasy back world has been uncovered along the shadows of the world, with sparkling creatures or runes. Although, if either events occurred, I'm unsure that I'll be able to send you this letter in the first place. Restrictions may be placed on communication at that point, and besides, there won't be enough time to check email since I'll be outside doing, you know, "Chosen One" stuff, with my powers gained at the peak of adolescence. 

Another assumption I want to debunk from your mind immediately: no, I have not been sulking around in my room, mentally crafting long monologues as to how why life ultimately stinks or as to why people don't understand me. I'm aware I come off as quiet, reserved, and on occasion whimsical, (this all depends on how a person perceives). Much times is spent in my room, engaging in introverted activities, but that doesn't necessarily hinder me from being able to talk to people, thank you very much. My life may be small in comparison to your numerous relayed tales, but I have a life that is lived.

Currently, I have been involved with strength training, since the last time we met, you said it's majorly important to be strong. Physical strength is not easily attainable-- in the last softball match, I slid into home place, face first, with sand covering my teeth, and this was one of many attempts at physical training. A softball hardly gets thrown ten feet away, running a mile exhausts all energy. This is not me condemning sports, but rather saying that unlike you, YA Novels, athletic gifts do not ring my bones. My strength is of the quiet kind: strong, resilient, sticking to morals through and through. Athletics are one thing, but another aspect you retain is your impeccable beauty standards you're often so modest about...

Until not one, but two boys come around the corner. The sweet, thoughtful boy and the kick butt no-nonsense guy battle each other out, and for awhile, you were too busy bickering with both of them to actually notice how one of them smells like slightly burnt oatmeal cookies, or how the other's hair bounces perfectly into place to the point you question why he wasn't hired by L'oreal, Pantene, or any other shampoo company. They both tell you you're beautiful, and you finally realize it yourself. Let me spare you the trouble of having to choose between the two boys: usually the first one, or the one who has been more prominent with you life recently, is the one you will choose. No need to thank me-- I just saved you much time.

Anyways, can't wait to hear your response, even if it ends up being roughly three books long.

xoxo Morning

---

A/N: Lately, I've been craving an immense craze about trying my hand at satire, or at least, producing something similar to the craft. Sarcasm and irony have been crazy themes repeating themselves in my life. That, alongside the process of editing my novel (finally, the six-week period wait is over), have birthed this post, which I hope you enjoy. Are there any other clichés I forgot to mention?

21 comments:

  1. Happy belated sixteenth! I wish you all joy and success with your next year and I hope that all your wishes come true! (that was really cheesy, eh). My friends and I often get caught up in conversations about how in a year or two we will all be sixteen, and that means that I guess it's time to work on our special powers that are sure to come with the age. Or maybe it's time to be whisked away by a wise mentor who will teach us all about ancient prophecies and alternate dimensions.

    Does it feel weird to be sixteen? You were fourteen, maybe even thirteen (is that possible?) when I discovered your blog and would add little anonymous comments, and in three days I will be fourteen too... it feels like so little time has passed since then. To think that only that little distance of time is between me and sixteen is just... weird. I know this is a line usually dedicated to adults, but everyone is growing up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy belated birthday to you as well, Oakstar! I do have to agree with you about imagining alternative scenarios with friends-- most of my friends read dystopia specifically, but we still discuss about what Hogwarts House, Faction, District, creature tribe (vampires versus werewolves, how back tha?). I think that we can't help but imagine ourselves in various situations, and by no means is that a bad thing.

      The strange thing about being sixteen... I think the change comes when you're undergoing the year. It hadn't hit me that I my birthday occurred since on my actual birthday, I spent it reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child much of the time, but now I have the PSATs, my driver's test, and so much more happening all in one day. It's insane. Growing up quickly-- I feel like life just gets faster the older you become. My year as an eight-year-old felt longer than that of a sixteen-year-old, if you know what I mean (and actually, I wasn't thirteen or fourteen when I started blogging, but you're pretty close!). Hopefully fourteen treats you well!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
    2. It has to do with fractions. The first year of your life represents 100% of your life so far, whereas the second year represents only 50%, and your sixteenth year represents 1/16 of your life. Because your fractions keep on getting smaller, it seems like the years just keep getting shorter, even though they actually aren't. Another reason why math bugs me, it's messing with my perception of life.

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday, Morning! ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ) I hope you had a great day! Also, can I just say that I LOVE THIS POST?! I laughed like 5 times BECAUSE IT'S SO TRUE. Oh YA .. we've gotta love you for your cringey cliches.

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANNA YOUR CHIBI SMILEY IS THE CUTEST THING EV-AH. That definitely made my day. About YA cliches-- I know, right? It's practically insane. I can just hear people like Twain, Bronte, Dickens, and Austen just screaming down on us right now, like, "What has this world come to?" I'm really interested to see how people label the 2010s three decades from now.

      Delete
  3. Your post is sprinkled with sarcasm, but it also feels like an honest critique of YA novels and a reflection on adolescence.

    It's honestly laughable to me that my age--16--is seemingly the most popular for YA and dystopian novels. I don't feel capable of saving the world. I'm not going through all the drama that plagues those fateful pages. I'm glad you feel this way, at least in some part, as well.

    Ella ~ Simply Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Satire is fun. It's pretty healthy-- you can definitely pull it off well, knowing you, Ella. Some of the stuff in the Young Adult genre really isn't that bad, and if the authors are able to execute it will rather than becoming a water down copy of the original, then props to them. But the problem presented is the repetitiveness over and over again. The over goes on infinitely. *shakes head*

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. I'm 18 now and oh my goodness, do you ever look at YA novels, films, etc and just cringe? SO MANY CLICHES Like Ella said, I still don't feel capable of doing anything those characters do, and it's so strange to me that so often they're basically put in a situation where they have to be adult, think like adults, fight like adults, and I wish more YA novels were more realistic. One thing I'm super glad Iearned in my teens is that there is no greater subject that simply being a teenager. These are the years where we feel everything with everything we have, where we are young and uncertain and starry-eyed and crazy with feeling and hopeful and passionate. I like the YA novels that recognise that a teenager does not need to be put in a fight to the death, or fall in love with the one, or grow up too fast or get into trouble to be interesting.

    Loved this,

    Anne // www.aportraitofyouth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE CLICHES NEED TO STOP. Some are too fundamental to abruptly stop them from happening again. It is nice to imagine ourselves in these situations, but yet the problem still presents itself. I liked how you pointed out being a teenager doesn't have to be in a life or death battle or possess the ability to change a society-- this is an incredible time in our lives where we undergo so much growth. I applaud stories that, even if they do undergo life or death situations in a fantasy world, their experiences and emotions are real. It irks me when they don't have an accurate presentation, especially when it's about something like mental illness-- it's a heavy subject to undergo and people need to understand it just can't be romanticized. At all. Sorry for the little rant at the end. I hope India's treating you amazingly!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Well, happy birthday! I hope sixteen is a wonderful year for you. :)

    You did well with this, Morning! It's is all too true of typical YA novels. I often turn to YA if I feel like a light, quick read, but many of them are so predictable; it's annoying..

    P.s I hope the editing is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, you Jessica! I hope sixteen is a wonderful year, as well-- also, I'm going to try to embark on your Hugs project because it sounds AMAZING and sending "hugs" are a good thing to do in general. :)

      YA is really good for light reading-- particularly anything by Morgan Matson, who I feel just gets it. Anything that has a cliche does get a bit annoying, after awhile...

      xoxo Morning

      P.S. AHHHH you remembered! Thank you! I want to start editing, but there are reasons why I haven't-- more to come about that pretty soon.

      Delete
  6. Happy (belated) birthday to someone who in my mind will always be one of the most amazing bloggers.

    You truly write wonderfully, and wow did I love this post. Can't get enough of your writing style or unique dialogue.

    -T.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tane. I CAN'T EVEN RIGHT NOW <3 <3 <3 Thank youuuu! I regard you the same way-- you were one of the first few bloggers I met when I first emerged onto the blogging scene three years ago. Your artistic understanding and style-- to call it aesthetic doesn't do it justice. It's entirely on a grander scale, and I hope you remember that during the times you experience an artist's block, or drought, of ideas.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Happy belated birthday! (again ;) )

    I love this so much! I have to agree with the others- being sixteen myself, it's bizarre that this is the age most authors choose. I don't even feel comfortable enough to drive, much less save the world or something crazy like that.

    I loved your writing style here, it was so funny. You're great at writing satire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still cannot get over that you sent me a musical theatre cake. A MUSICAL THEATRE CAKE decorated with Playbill designs. You're the best.

      Feeling uncomfortable while driving = YES. I'm taking my driver's test on Saturday and I'm just praying that I can drive without running anything over all while being able to park straight because perpendicular parking, believe it or not, is the hardest thing to do.

      I may or may not have a few other satirical posts up my sleeve... ;)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. Happy belated birthday, Morning (hey, we're the same age now! *highfive*)! Love your writing style :D.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Savannah! I love your writing style, too! *high fives back* xD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. Happy belated Birthday! Also, this post was the best. It made me chuckle. X)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah! :D if you chuckled, well, there's several more satirical posts that may be coming by pretty soon...

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday, Morning! Also, where is the lie?? :') Seriously, I think YA has created so many book cliches in its lifetime, it's kind of ridiculous. I quite like this sarcastic style of writing, the love triangle was pretty accurate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO YOU'RE ALIVE!!! *tackle glomps* I missed you, chica. YA has started to become more ridiculous, but do you know one thing that has stayed the sake from book classics to now? Guys who only ellicit a few words but the heroine falls for, anyways (I'm mainly thinking Prise and Prejudicd, though, so there's some potential bias). And agh, don't get me started on love triangles again. xD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah