04 August 2016

Morning and the (Not-So-Evil) Librarians





I've had an interesting reputation when it comes to the various school librarians I've met in the past. In elementary school, I was known as the one who took the most peppermint bark from the book reading evenings. I was "the one who shouts playing Apples to Apples" during middle school, and now, in high school, I'm pretty much yelled at in a teasing way for practically everything I do. But public librarians are a different kind all together, and the good news is, they aren't as "evil" as they appear to be.

At the end of May, while in Atlanta, I received an email seven in the evening from my local library branch, regarding of my acceptance into their summer volunteer program! A little bit of backstory behind my outlook this summer and the program: at the beginning of May, I wasn't sure where I was going to end up, schedule-wise. I had to keep busy because if don't, I usually entered excessively sluggish dog days, and unlike the rest of my friends, there wasn't exactly an out-of-town residential camp to stay at or Pokemon Go to walk around with.

Ever since the seventh grade, I've expressed immense interest in this program, but it was always the craziness of the end of the year that held me back from sending in my application. This was the year I put my foot down and bellowed, "No more! I will be volunteering." I'm somewhat glad I did, though.

My shift time was on Wednesday evenings, from four to eight, the only exclusive shift that helps with the library's events coinciding with the summer reading program, and for the first month, I was paired with a girl who shared the same namesake as myself, thus allowing for the librarians to remember us easier and for them to nickname us as our names squared, like in math. It was a bit painful, since a part of the time, my brain was burnt out from finals.

For the nine weeks there, we would come in and create signs for the events with the die-cut machine on the top floor.

If you think the die-cut machine, or the entire making signs routine is easy to do, think again. You have to press your entire weight onto the lever, rip out the letters, and then paste them one by one. Sometimes, the librarians are kind enough to leave up letters onto the top counter, which is helpful to most people, but not to those who are fun-sized. I'm sure that most of the librarians who passed by, or even the security cameras, noticed a five-foot teenager jumping up to reach a six-foot high ledge.



This is not all the trouble that has to be endured, no. Two signs had to be made within a two-hour time range, which became extreme trouble when the other volunteer, who, by the way, I may comment is a nice and relaxed person. had to drop out at the halfway mark since she had to leave for a month long vacation. After cutting out the die-cuts, I have to make three flights to the main floor (a rather troublesome prospect since the elevators are ancient and only a few people are allowed on the top floor unless there's an event). The first flight was down to get both signs taped onto enormous white boards, then place them in their respective positions, often the top and bottom most-floor. The second and third flights consist of bringing all the paper scraps and supplies down to the recycling bins on the main floor, without dropping or forgetting anything.

The events were pretty fun to watch, most of the time, ranging from projecting family-friendly movies, song writers performing on the outside lawn, a miniature circus, magic acts, two puppet shows, to even bringing live river otters from the local zoo and educating young children. We had to help set up and tear down fifty to seventy seats per event, but that was okay. The best part of it all was that the other volunteer and I got to sit with one of our bosses and watch the entire time.




Watching all the summer events wasn't the only main project we did, since often the events spanned forty-five minutes. We ended up painting cups various Lego colors and then hung them up, as a poster, within one of the kid-friendly sections of the library! During that one Lego poster shift, I got paint all over my hands and shirt, and the one color that was incredibly frustrating to paint multiple layers of was yellow. Our main coordinator said that she had the other volunteers paint the yellow five times already, and it still have remains of the base color sticking out.

Two other cool projects we did involve Pokemon and superheroes. As I'm assuming you all know, Pokemon has made a huge comeback into mainstream society. So, within the teen section of the library, we made purple alphabetical book markers, each with a Pokemon corresponding to a letter ("A" for "Articuno," etc.). I couldn't get a photo of those, sadly, but I did manage to get photos of the superhero collage! The collage is made up entirely of superhero photos from the enormous box of comics donated by a local comic book store. There were so many, the volunteers were each allowed to choose comics to their liking-- I decided to settle on some Spiderman issues from the eighties.







The only time I met the other volunteers was during our bi-monthly meetings, scheduled just right before my shift. The other volunteers are a combination of eccentric and whimsical (yes, they relate to the world "weird," but it's hard to find a synonym which connotates the oddities in a good way). All of us would fight over the Capri Suns and chips as we made suggestions. Here are examples from the last, somewhat productive, summer volunteer meeting:

The Coordinator: "Now the head youth librarian has tried to make winter volunteering happen--"
The Pokemon Go Expert: "That's what they said last year!"
Boy: (voice escalating) "They said that last year! Two years ago, three years ago, five years ago--"
Me: "You were only seven five years ago!" (covers laughing face and nose, everyone laughs)

Curly hair girl: "We have to spam Jon's email, guys."
Me: "Okay, new plan-- we're going to have to coordinate our emails to be sent at various times."
Curly hair girl: "Maybe there's a better idea besides coordinating emails...
Me: There is. We buy him a box of Spam."

One of the things that was suggested was using window markers to decorate the space, and so we colored the entire area. To all you reading: if you want to decorate your room, get window markers, because you won't get bored. It was fun watching all the passing patrons look at the collective fifteen teens that showed up that meeting to draw all over their previously spotless windows. 






In order to shed more light towards the strangeness of the thirty-some bunch, let me describe what I found upon arriving at the after party. I was expecting that the movie, Guardians of the Galaxy, would be playing in the background while everyone helped themselves to some of the most expensive pizza that's every been bought in town. 

Instead, I found everyone playing the rolling chair version of bumper cars. It so happens that on the fourth floor, where I spent a portion of my volunteering time, had computer chairs with wheels, and so everyone had the idea to crash into each other. 

Did I join in on this? 

Yes, I did. However immature it may sound to other people, it's really fun and therapeutic in terms of being stress-alleviating, almost child-like, and when you're teenagers, you crave having that innocent, no-responsibility fun of childhood. 

The party went on, and for the first half of the time, we played improv games, introduced at the last meeting. It was super odd to have to play the game, "What Are You Doing," when the last person's words are the ones you have to act, and I had to portray Voldemort. "Bang," which is a game actually stylized like a western cowboy game, was exceptionally fun, and I practically dominated.




Luckily, there is a super huge chance that school-year volunteering is going to happen, which I'm super pumped for and is something I want to do. Thank you to the two librarians in charge with the program-- who probably won't ever read this unless I get published within the next several years--you two are the best. Thank you so much for not incriminating me when I placed a glue bottle which started to leak not out of my doing (though I was teased for officially owed a dollar and forty-eight) and letting me visit The Dungeon and the circulation room. It's been a fun summer.

Speaking of the end-of-summer, guess who is not ready to head back to school? I'm still brain dead, and ever since the last day of school, I've already know how my class schedule this year is going to turn out. I just need to physically and socially tire myself out to let out all of this unchained energy die out. On the bright side-- I have a lot of scheduled, fun posts coming out your way!
ALSO! If you haven't done so yet, please check out Freckled Minds once you get to an actual computer, a collective art society for teenage girls, by teenage girls. I was fortunate enough to help found this and to also design the site!

10 comments:

  1. Volunteering at the library sounds like so much fun! I've always dreamed of doing something like that, but my local library is run by some very , VERY interesting people. Umm yeah. SO I don't think I'll be doing anything there anytime soon :) I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you define very, VERY interesting people? xD I'm interpreting this in so many different ways-- my library also has very, VERY interesting people, that's why it's much better to go with a group while traveling between floors. Maybe when you're older, starting off with a new job, then you can apply to work at a bookshop or the library? That's one of my plans, for college.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. The library sounds like a really cool place to volunteer! I'd love to do that sometime. (Although like Autumn, I don't think mine would be as cool as yours. XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super cool! You get to meet a ton of people (which can be super tiring, after awhile though) but if you're extremely lucky, you get to interact with younger kids which is the best thing ever!!!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a lovely time! This makes me want to start volunteering more ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely time is perfect way to describe it! ^.^ Thanks for stopping by, Amy!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. Haha this sounds like a lot of fun! I volunteer at my library too and I really enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! How is volunteering working out? How's it similar and different, if you compare it to what I wrote on this post?

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. I tagged you on my blog! :D

    http://everythingisbetterwithpolkadots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw! :DDD I'm glad you like long comments.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah