19 July 2016

Cardinal Points, Volume II


iii. the boy with shaggy hair, north

The boy with shaggy hair and I rode the same bus every day, after school. We each knew each other's bus stops by heart, as well as what each of our favorite sour gummy bear flavors were (his was watermelon, mine was strawberry) and what ticked us off (both of us agreed that Velcro ripping apart and rude or transparent people are the worst), alongside many other tiny snippets of the other's personality. The two of us arrive on the bus at different times during the ten-minute boarding period, but we positioned ourselves to sit near the front, to avoid the rambunctiousness the back had to offer.

Today was no different, despite the lack of the seniors onboard, as the school released them two weeks early. The seat beside mine was occupied by a girl hammering her fingers into her keyboard, updating one of her many social media statuses. As he approached closer to where I sat, I greeted him with an apologizing grin, clenching my teeth to prevent yammering at the girl about hitting her elbows to my stomach. He shrugged and took the seat in front of mine, chatting vigorously to a friend of his in the same row.

This is how we were now-- speaking in silent conversation lacking of any verbal communication, but we understood each other completely. This wasn't much of a difference to our youth and popcorn-filled days, where he hardly spoke to anyone except for the teacher and I. The expression in his eyes, a sparkling vibrancy that he rarely ever inhibited, slowly grew as his conversation grew on and on. "Over the summer, I'm taking an aerodynamics over at one of the career.

This news shocked me a bit, but that was only the beginning of his rambles. "I took a course there last year, and I'm a credit ahead of everyone else. I don't know if I want to join any of the military badges or not," he paused, puffing out a chest full of ribbons and medals from his ROTC involvement, "but just in case, I'm planning to go into engineering."

For years he never truly disclosed his plans for the future, always wanting to keep to himself and engage in any athletic endeavor rather than discussing what laid ahead of him. My fingers pried at the seat in front of me. "You are literally the coolest person ever."

"I know I am." He puffed out his chest, meeting his textbook in the middle of his lung expansion. A laugh broke out between the two of us. This was like the good old times, when our most common saying in communication was not any word at all, but a sound of air ringing at different pitches, a universal way of communication everyone knew. We laughed so hard that I snorted, prompting us to giggle harder. When our laughter died, he turned around and said, "You may not be the most popular person, but you're one of the greatest people I know."

A giant blush ran across my face. As usual, he played everything sweet, but what could I do? The boy was a softie at heart, who did lookout for his friends no matter the small exterior. We gazed at each other and exchanged a grin-- this was how everything was meant to be.

---

iv. the girl with the buck teeth, south

The bell of the coffee shop rang open, and there entered the girl with buck teeth, one of my closest friends and confidants in practically anything we planned. She waved hello at me and ordered herself a cappuccino (with whipped cream, caramel syrup and chocolate chunks) before placing herself to sit across from my seat. Like me, she sat with her luggage beside her. "Aren't you nervous about leaving?" I asked, taking a sip from my tea.

"Saying goodbye was the hardest thing I've ever done." For years, she discussed her need of having to get away from her relatives, who treat her more as a neighborhood babysitter than their art sketching niece. The two of us discussed many ways with her wanting to cope, until she decided to head off to college in pursue of an Architecture degree, only keeping contact with her immediate family. Her dog dozed at her side, wearing a serene expression on his face inside the kennel. "But it's for the best, I suppose."

"I suppose. When does your flight leave?"

"In two hours, but I have to leave in about ten minutes to make it to the airport. Wait a second." She reached forward and slowly released the grip of my fingers. Her tongue ran over her now regular-sized front teeth. Eyebrows furrowed while leading through the pages. "Is this that dreaded notebook you carried around with you when we were kids, 24/7?"

"Hey! Don't touch my notebook." She snorted, but her eyes grew bigger by the time she reached the end of the notebook. "Wow, I can't believe that you ended up writing that much about, you know, the four of us. Even after we all dispersed, I suppose."

"'I suppose.'" I go the notebook out other and dropped it on the table, settling on the page depicting the four of us drawing mindlessly with burnt popcorn sitting at our sides, a burnt staple of elementary school snacks. "Well, what do you expect? We all were different people who happened to coincide in the same place and time." My tea cup was down to the brim. I teased by finger over the edges and gave a small sad grin. "We were the social experiment waiting to erupt, because when..."

"Guys and girls segregated themselves to sit at different tables from one another, we defied that rule, thus beginning a year of trouble. That novelty held for a while. I wonder what made us break apart besides clashing personalities..." That was the question of the century. Within the many years that have gone past, no one knew the answer to the question. All we were aware of was the end-- rocks and harsh words. She lifted her cup. "A toast to being social pariahs?"

I held my drink in response. "Social pariahs."

We both drank from our cups. "So, where are the boys now?"

"Well, the boy with thick glasses-- who now wears contacts, don't you know-- is heading over for military training. I'm not sure what branch, all I know it's on the west coast. But our other friend is being an engineer, and everyone knows a lot of the good jobs come from the top of the country." My eyes flickered over to the time on my watch. 12:38, noon time. "I, on the other hand, will continue with what I've been born to do. Life's been good."

"Same. Look, I better go." She picked up the dog cage, and we greeted each other with one last hug. "We are video chatting once my dorm is fixed, okay?"

"Okay!" I watched as she waved goodbye, nearly stumbling over a group of caffeinated children. Her suitcase rolled out the door and she disappeared onto the street of busy business workers returning from their lunch shift. My waves of goodbye slowly diminished. My flight was about to leave within the next few hours, but for now, that could wait. Sitting here and pondering about my friends' futures was a moment that should be held onto for the longest time. We may be embarking on our separate ways, but knowing our destinations, we were bound to each do great things. 

27 comments:

  1. Morning, you are a great writer. A g r e a t writer. This piece made me feel sad and hopeful at the same time.

    -T.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Tane! If I made you feel, then I accomplished my job as a writer.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. I love your writing style!

    - Edie
    mintyperfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edie, thanks! If I may ask, what exactly do you love about it? Defining my writing style in my own words is really hard when people ask me at writing conferences, etc. because I just don't know or understand it, yet. But I'm still learning.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. I wish I could write like you do!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa! I wish that I could write and do beauty posts as well as you do-- I'm super excited to see your different blogging style post series! XD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. Wow! I really enjoyed this! Maybe I'll post a story on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIVY CHICA it's been awhile!!! How have you been? I'm super elated to hear from you again-- if you post a story on your blog, let me know so I can check it out!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Absolutely breathtaking <3 please make this into a novel.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^Agreed. This NEEDS to be a novel.

      Delete
    2. Hehe, we may have a slight problem: this is based off of aspects of my life, so there's no way this can be a novel unless I decide to write a memoir. XD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. Morning, the power you have to capture a persons life in a little page of writing will always leave me speechless. You have the magic of words swirling at your fingertips that I'm sure others would kill to have. I have to doubt that in a few years, I will be walking into a bookstore to pick up your latest novel ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! Hehe, hopefully I can get a novel up in a bookstore soon. You can count on that I just need to finish my draft of my current novel, edit it, and then I think I'll finally be able to submit it for publication!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. This is so great, Morning! Wow. I love how you separated each part into little chapters, and that you used a cardinal point for each. Clever, and fitting. You're fantastic at describing things - especially sounds! I agree with Ellie up there, this totally needs to become a novel. :)

    Eve
    Edge of Night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eve! The cardinal points thing was actually something that struck me five minutes before I scheduled the first post of this series. Hopefully you're right about describing sounds-- I've been trying to describe things in my current WIP and I'm so burnt out to the point where I simply write, "The noise was loud and annoying." >.<

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. Wow- your writing is lovely! This is such a neat idea. I like how it's separated into sections and how you have very unique characters. Awesome work!
    -Vivian
    http://moonsworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Would it be surprising to you if I said that each of these characters have an actual real life counterpart that corresponds to this piece? XD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. Wow, keep up the good work, Morning! This piece leaves me wanting to know more of the story. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, funny you say that; I'm in the process of writing something that involves all of these characters and if it goes well, I'll be able to share what happened more in their past, aka "rocks and harsh words."

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. I LOVE this! You are an amazing writer and this was so much fun to read :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arushee! Thank you so much!!! :DD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. I NEED MORE!
    YOU ARE SO GOOD AT WRITING!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah