15 February 2016

The 2016 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards



The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards is a ninety-year-old competition which recognizes some of the most creative teenagers in various art and writing categories. I first heard about this competition when, at an annual youth writing conference, I received a copy of the competition's 2012 National Catalog, After reading the periodical a numerous amount of times, my mind became fixated on an idea-- I would, at some point or another, enter into the competition and win.

A photo of a paragraph from my piece. I don't think I'll be posting the piece online, because my region is thinking about posting all the region-winning writing as an e-book. Yes, my seventh published piece!

After two years of procrastination and setting down a writing schedule, I finally sent in a personal essay / memoir piece! The wait was agonizing-- I obsessed over refreshing my email ever five minutes. Finally, one day after school, an email came, saying that I won an honorable mention! It meant that I did not qualify to advance into the national competition, but that did not squish my elation at one bit--I would still get statewide recognition! In fact, if I remember correctly of how I reacted about the news, I was bouncing around through the school hallways an hour post-dismissal, screaming, "Oh my gosh, I'm throwing up!"






On Saturday, I was able to attend the awards ceremony and exhibition over at a local library with a kaleidoscope, a school supply vending machine, and a pendulum that one of my engineering camp teacher talked to us about. The artwork there was phenomenal, for how could it not have been? My state is more renowned for its art talent rather than its writing! I will be posting some of the art from the exhibition, but do keep in mind that the artwork is made by all their respectable owners-- it belongs to them, and not me. PLEASE don't take credit for their work. 

 This life-sized Groot sculpture (which is about six or seven feet tall) is made out what everyone believes to be foam and clay!

 The dress, if you can't tell, is made entirely out of paper!





I'm pumped to reenter the competition next year! I attempt to come out stronger, entering (hopefully) more than one piece of writing, as I did this year. If you're between the grades of 7-12 and live within the US, Canada or an American school abroad, you should totally enter! It's a positive experience, and, who knows? Maybe you'll get recognized! Also, thank you so much to Anna, Anna, Rose, and Mackenzie, for helping me out with my writing! I couldn't have gotten far without you four!

20 comments:

  1. What an honor! This sounds like so much fun and i'm sure you did amazing :) That's like soooo crazy cool that you got an honorable mention and are, like, able to be recognized statewide. WOW. You go girl <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Autumn! Sadly, because I got an honorable mention, I'm not able to apply for any writing camps over the summer (going over to a sleepaway camp before I turn eighteen is on my bucket list, for sure)!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. That art was INSANE! And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? The art-- like, the amount of the talent there is unbelievable. And these are only just a small handful of people who got recognized and entered. There are just so many people out there that are just truly talented, and I was glad to see and meet some of them.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Congrats! It's awesome that you won and got a statewide mention.

    You go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness congratulations! That is so awesome!! Your blog is lovely- how have I not seen it before?? This is wonderful, I love your writing, your words, everything. Keep up the good work!
    -Vivian
    http://moonsworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vivan! D'aww, you're too sweet! In my free time (most likely, next week) I have to go and check out your blog!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Ahh that sounds wonderful! The only writing competitions I've ever entered have been within school. Maybe one day I'll find one that's a little bigger! There must be something like that in my country. Anyway, well done X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! Actually, I just looked at your blogger profile and saw that you're from Ireland-- I think I read about there being a writing competition from that area. How I found out about it and where I read it, I don't remember exactly (because it was a while ago, and I also live in the US) but if I do ever run across the article again, I will definitely run it over to you!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. Wow, this is so neat!!

    Ava, http://landofquiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Ava! *squeals* You have no idea how happy I am to meet you! I actually think this is the first time that I've actually heard from you-- like, I've been reading your blog since January, but I never was able to comment because of the toll that school is taking on me. But arghhhhh I'm such a huge fan; you commenting on my blog = me fangirling. XD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Congratulations dear. I'm glad you got a statewide mention, that's insane. (in a good way) <3

    anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! Next year, hopefully, I'll be going on into the national competition-- I'll ask you to critique again, if you don't mind! I know what my next piece is about (another personal essay / memoir) and I have been wanting to write it for some time, but I have to wait for some of the words to come out and I also have to "feel" that the time is right for me to begin transcribing it onto paper. I'm kind of scared of writing it, because the things that I'll be writing then are slightly controversial and also has something to during my childhood days, but gah-- I'm really terrified and excited to write it. <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. OHH your photography! Congratulations!

    ~ Rukiya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RUKIYAAAAAAA it's been awhile! How've you been? And thank you!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, Oakstar! ^.^ Actually, if I remember the rules correctly, I think that people from Canada can actually enter within the competition too-- if the rules actually are stated to be like that, guess who I'm pushing to enter something *coughcoughyoubecauseofyouramazingwritingcoughcough*

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. Scholastic - omg that takes me back to when there'd be book fares at my primary school ^_^

    Congratulations! c:

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scholastics sends a huge throwback-- well, today isn't Thursday, but rather, Friday, so perhaps it's appropriate for me to say Flashback Friday? I also have been to so many Scholastic book fairs! I actually remember only getting one book during all of my elementary school days. Specifically, it was The Battle of the Labyrinth, the fourth book in the Percy Jackson series. My brother, on the other hand, bought a copy of something Avatar: the Last Airbender related. XD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah