30 December 2015

2015: A Year In Review


I can't believe that we are nearing the end of 2015! Though I am looking forward to the year 2016, filled with so much opportunity, I am a bit sad to say goodbye to this year. In the past, I have written a questionnaire response (2013) and a month-by-month throwback (2014) but this year, it has been decided to write something similar to a q&a portion, but with much deeper responses.

1) What qualities helped you the most during this year?

There were three prominent qualities that stood out this year: the first two are idea making (which has helped me through a lot of situations and has helped make life so much more interesting) and optimism, which I will attempt to explain later.


The third quality, as stated in the compliment card above, was leadership-- which freaked me out. So many people say that I tend to be a leader; it's not usually that I'm the first choice for the role, but rather I step up when people need help or when the situation calls for it. Plus, I lead apparently with a smile. Goodness, this brings back so many memories of volleyball and stage combat where I smile like the smiley face stickers given out to younger kids in sports.

2) In this year, what achievements have you accomplished?

I'm extremely proud of some of the things that I accomplished this year, which makes me feel somewhat like a Roaring 20s female modern, taking charge of her destiny! A lot of the things that I accomplished this year wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been for working things out.

Second place at the district book competition; next year, the school team WILL make it to the state championships, and I will see to that. It makes me sound a bit like a nerd, but the book competition is an important event that has been integrated within my life, it's hard to imagine life without it.

I interned for Summit Media in the Philippines (under the careful guidance of Total Girl Philippines) and it has opened up my eyes to the world of magazine publication! The last issue which I helped contribute, the December issue, is out right now! Sadly I won't get ahold of the magazine copies until a relative of mine goes back to the Philippines.

Hehe, before these Shopkins had their photos taken, I messed around with them for two hours. Two.
You could totally tell that I loved messing around with the toys during my photoshoot duty.

I love this! The sand which doesn't stick to your hand!

I went on a youth retreat! I haven't been on one since a couple of years ago-- I already miss going fishing with Ziplock baggies and belting out Amazing Grace in the showers with a friend at midnight, a bit before our cabin curfew.

The dock where a majority of the people on the retreat spent their time capturing fishes.

Seriously, another photo of Thumper the Bunny. I CAN'T GET ENOUGH LOVE FROM THIS BUNNY.

I was in two theatre shows-- whoop whoop! I didn't get any leads (a lot came down to scheduling and height) but that's all right-- the shows were tons of fun.

The stage we performed on was huge! It was a part of a building where the national tours for shows like The Lion King come about.

Missing the warmth of the stage lights.

You know you're a theatre kid when you gain attachment to your props by closing night... and you can't let them go.

I actually got out more and visited a lot of my friends' houses, which was great because until this year, I wasn't allowed to go out much-- Nerf fights, binge watching marathons, Swedish fish sessions and the potential yurt building project were all so much fun!

This is the view of a town I saw while up on the houses on a mountain... all blurried. Oops. ^.^

Lastly, I entered into the Scholastics' Art & Writing Awards competition. Ever since I received a free national catalog from them and heard about the awards via Christina, I've been wanting to enter. Finally, that wish became a reality, and I'm extremely proud of the piece I submitted-- shout outs to Rose, Mackenzie, Anna and Anna, who were all willing to critique despite the holiday schedules.


3) Do you have any regrets of things you did not accomplish?

My three main regrets is one, my grades (which I have stated in one of my previous posts, isn't bad but I want to try to make things better for the upcoming semester) and two, not keeping in touch with several friends. There are friends that I want to meet up with but because they live in an area several miles out of the other side of town getting along together is tough. I'm talking to them about meeting up next year. My third one is the fact that I did not go through the entire year commenting on blogs every day, but it's a minor thing.

4) Goals for next year?

Academic: Maintain A's and get at least 5 A's and one B. I've been setting this goal to be "straight A's" for a year but it hasn't been working. Perhaps it is better if, for the time being, I try to bite into the challenge slowly rather than failing to chow down everything. Also, I need to take a good look at what universities I want to apply for and what I want to major in.

Writing: Finish the first draft of my NYC novel, and flesh out my characters Sam and Christina for a fantasy series as well as fix any plot holes and fabricating major plot lines together seamlessly. I can't give up on this series idea since it gives me chills and its story is so vivid to not share (not writing the series would be super selfish, if it makes any sense), but it's not coming together properly. Darn the loopholes my ten-year-old self failed to see! 

Social wise: Strengthen my relationships with others, and keep in touch with good friends. Go to youth group at least once a month. Asking to have eye contact with people for next year may be too much...

Artistic: Improve theatre and photography skills. Writing is in it's own category, thus the reason why I didn't put it in here.

5) What things, in store, are you looking forward to?

Things I'm Looking Forward To in 2016 are editing my Susan Pevensie novel (a post about her should be coming up soon), the Rio Olympics-- my television attachment when this airs, whether it may be the Summer or Winter Games, is extremely unhealthy-- and traveling more along the southern US states! I also may be revisiting a place which I have blogged about before, and I'm stoked about going back!

That's all I have for you today! Before I go, I have one last request: tell me what sort of thought topics you would like to see me blog about-- throughout this year I have written posts about why it's okay to cry to the troubles of blogging-- if there something specific you'd like me to write about, let me know!

I hope that you all have a happy New Year!

5 comments:

  1. Morning! this year has been full and good. it's been hard. but hard is good. Here's to our adventures of next year, eh? here we go. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've had a great year! Can't wait to read about your 2016 adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've accomplished so much! I feel so lazy right now haha And don't worry about grades, I have straight As and I haven't posted on blog for a long time, not to mention all your activities beside school. Impressive! What I am saying is that I would immediately choose to have more time for writing if I wasn't such a perfectionist when it comes to school. Nobody will remember your grades, but they will remember your stories. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had an amazing 2015! I hope that 2016 is even better for you ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I haven't spoken with you in awhile! I hope you are doing well! :) It looks like 2015 has been very kind to you, and I know that 2016 is even better!

    Tara xx
    http://beweirdalways.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah