10 July 2015

Into the Woods


"Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." C.S.  Lewis





When I was younger, I used to have quite the imagination. I would have imagined my friends and I as undercover superheroes who got their powers from a secret purple flavor of Gatorade that happened to mysteriously appear from the porch in the backyard. It probably sounds crazy, but with pretty much every other imaginative thing kids have, it was innocent.

Since I had envisioned my superhero counterpart so strongly, with her ability to control the power of the air, it seemed as if though that figment of imagination would always be there, especially on long car trips, when the only scenery to see was slow glazed mountaintops, clusters of trees, or the mud flats.




Do you know how Anne Shirley had names for places in Avonlea, such as Lovers Lane? I did the same thing as well, except there was one place in particular which I don't have a name for where I felt as if I saw my superhero the strongest.

This place was a forest behind a track and field court which, if one knew the path well, would direct towards a neighboring elementary school. After I had briefly visited the place during the end-of-the-year Marvel dance party, I decided to go back several days later.




I don't think the magic in which I had perceived the place never truly faded away, because immediately after I stepped into the woods did I feel a wave of nostalgia welcome me. The wood was slightly dense, but not to the point the sunlight couldn't seep through. There were several tree bases that had snapped off due to violent rain storms.

I said hello to the grass shoots straining to shoot from the ground and the dirt sweeping underneath my sneakers. I gave birch trees a pat as I looked at their peeled bark layers.

The photos I had taken were all in early morning, before noon, but imagine the view as the sun waved goodbye to go to sleep with the moon slowly awaking.



When you're a teenager, you probably don't think of these magical places anymore. You're not waiting for that Hogwarts acceptance letter or go knocking on the back of wardrobes as much as you used to before unless... you're a fangirl. But that's another story. Instead, you are more focused on dealing with what you will endure tomorrow. You're probably thinking about what's showing on TV tonight or when you can finally watch Netflix with no distractions at ten in the evening with a bucket of Ice Cream and Sour Patch Kids your hand.

But know that perhaps someday, that childish wonder will come back. Perhaps as you're digging through your old room of your childhood house or visiting your old town, you will rediscover these places, especially when you have kids. You'll be able to connect with them on something that you used to love.

Goodbye, forest patch. I'm growing up right now and I must keep track of what is in my life right now, but you will see the spirited little girl come back; I will return.

45 comments:

  1. That C.S. Lewis quote + everything you said in this post + amazing pictures = love, love, love ♥
    perfect, thank you dear <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Elisabeth. Thank you. ♥♥♥

      xoxo Morning


      Delete
  2. This post makes me yearn for childhood again. I loved it, dear. A lot. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thanks, Jordy. I miss childhood lots, too. It hurts.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely post <3 as usual.
    I used to have/have quite an imagination too.
    That quote is a wonderful thing.

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.S. Lewis quotes... there's something about his quotes that I just can't pin (a good thing, though). Imagination is beautiful; I hope it comes back to you soon. It's something we should never lose.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. Childhood is the well from which I'm still drinking. Thank you for sharing, lovely girl. ♥

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh... I saw this, and my jaw dropped.... I don't know how to reply. <3 YOU STILL CARRY YOUR POETRY SENSE EVEN WHEN YOU COMMENT; I NEED TO LEARN FROM YOU.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Beautiful. <3 We should never lose our childlike sense of wonder, even when we grow up. The pictures are gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shouldn't grow up, not truly. I think growing up is more like a choice; you can either choose to abandon it together or still have it in you.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. that picture of the broken, fallen tree kind of hurt a little.
    lovely pictures :)
    -nymisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know; it hurt me too. It ended up like that because of some wind, rain and air storms several about three years ago.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Simply gorgeous... wow - AMAZING pictures!

    - www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lexie! ^.^ <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. woooahhhh........thats AMAZING!
    IM BAAAACK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Galaxy! :) And, you're back? YAY!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. Oh, what gorgeous photos! I love going for walks in magical places like that, it's like a little piece of the forest inside the city ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magical place walks are the best kind of walks! Actually, the city that I live in has tons of nature integrated into it... There are a lot of green patches within the borders and tons more surrounding the area!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. ooooh
    beauty-full <3
    childhood is so so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Childhood... I just want to go back and time travel to my younger self and just give her a big hug. That's how much I miss it!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. Beautiful post and pictures ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Opal! Which one was your favorite?

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  12. Amazing post-very thought provoking!
    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that quote, Morning! And the pictures are amazing<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.S. Lewis has some pretty amazing quotes, huh? I wish my photography would improve some more, but thanks!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  14. Go to my blog.... There is something waiting for you...! :D

    PenGirl

    pengirl9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked it out! Thank you so much! :D

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  15. This post had me feeling the Anne of Green Gables feels hard! Great pictures and I love the quote. C.S. Lewis has got to be one of my favourite writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors, too! I kind of felt bad when I realized after watching the 2005 movie adaption that there were books and I haven't read them (the books before movies rule hits me hard). I can't believe that I didn't read Anne of Green Gables until last year; the series is so good!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  16. Hi!
    I love the way Anne keeps names for places in Green Gables, it is one of my favourite classics! The sequel isn't as good, but nevermind!
    And seriosuly, the photography left me open mouthed! Great blog!
    rsoundarya0707.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I loved the first book in the Anne of Green Gables series the best, but I didn't mind reading the sequels one bit! Thank you, Sound!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  17. Oh, I love this so much. I've noticed that, yes, I definitely don't have the same imagination as I did not so long ago, but I've always had a strong feeling of nostalgia for everything related to my past! Places, words, ideas, people, thoughts, games... I enjoy it so much when I get to return to these things.

    Morning, I don't know if you've done this before, but if you're up for it, I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. :) Here's the post.

    Best wishes to you,

    Eve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weird thing with me was that after I wrote about this post, I ended up thinking back on old times, but not just the good times-- also the bad times, too, not because all I reflect about the bad things, but only because it helps reflect on the good times and just make them seem better. And the nostalgia ends up giving me warm squishy feelings-- their good feelings!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  18. Hey Morning! I want to use the 2nd and 7th pictures on my blog (of course all credits and links given to you of course), so please let me know if you want me to take them down!

    - www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't matter now, I used other pictures! :)

      Delete
  19. I loved this post...it made me a bit sad, actually, to thing of the things I did that were similar when I was a little girl. Oh, nostalgia.
    Truth is, I don't want to grow up. But I am growing up. And I will always remember those younger years, I'll take them with me wherever I go and visit them in my daydreams.

    Thank you for another beautiful post, Morning.

    -T. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate growing up too, but it's something that I've had to deal with because I'm a girl who ends up being in a grade higher than what she's supposed to. I always think of the old times, too; when I was about ten was when I grew up, but I still remember all of the good times. We need to reflect on the past a lot and remember those old times or else... We just need to.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  20. Love this. I wish I could come up with names for things like Anne did; I'm just not that poetic, unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ally! I'm not as creative as Anne is, either, but as long as we've got that spark of aweness, it's fine!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  21. I love this a lot. It totally brings me back to my years as a Girl Scout. Though the troop completely fell apart, two of the girls and me remained best friends and every fall we'd go on camping trips and just act like kids. We haven't been able to in a while though, cause some of us are starting college and big-kid things.

    But this was absolutely lovely.Wonderful pictures, wonderful post (and wonderful quote!) Have a nice dayy <3 (:

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah