24 May 2015

The Ladder


"Evelyn! Evelyn, stop!" The brunette bearing that particular namesake stopped and turned to see who may be crying out to her. Fumbling down the hill was the mayoress, a tiny double-chinned lady about the age of fifty and gray hair strands matching the dense fog that has encompassed their small province. 

Drat, Evelyn thought. How could Ms. Randell have possibly known that she would be escaping? The night was in an ideal condition to leave leave this town: misty weather and the distraction of a committed crime. But again, what she was about to do was punishable by death. 

"You shall not go up there!" Ms. Randell, with her stubby stock legs, attempted to waddle gracefully, but it had only caused more tripping and scurrying. "You shall not climb up the--"

"Ladder?" Evelyn answered inquisitively. Her hands clenched the cold sides of the ladder. The object was old, created of rough twig. Stringy grass bonded together the ends. The ladder went for barrels and barrels up. There seemed to be no end, from a ground point of view. "I'm afraid I cannot heed your advice, ma'am."

Ms. Randell put her hands to her hips and cocked out a hip. "Young Evelyn, I do not know what has caused you to believe such oddities and atrocities, but there is nothing at the other end."

"Yes, there is." Evelyn adjusts her backpack's strap. "Don't try to change my mind of letting me go." With determination in her voice, she groveled, "I have to reach the top."

"My husband and I can assure you that there is nothing at the top. No one has ever arrived back. Not even your foster family, leaving you in this village to die off cold."

"Just because they haven't done so yet does not mean that that will not ever come back! I know they will! Have not we all heard the tales of there being a better life up there?" Evelyn pointed her fingers aggressively to the sky. "They are my family, blood wise or not. I have lived in their care for over fifteen years, and I know they did not mean to leave me on purpose. I know they are up there, somewhere."

"Now, stop with this nonsense! My husband, if he finds out of this ordeal, he will kill you. As you may know, climbing up this ladder is treason. It is better to live safe and content than to live a life of the unknown."

Evelyn gasped and walked to look down upon the old women, being the shorter one of the two. Her breath came out in a form of vapor as she whispered, "That's why no one is allowed to go up this ladder, isn't it? You are afraid of the unknown."

Ms. Randell's silence acknowledged the fact. The cold night air blew gently to their direction, causing the brunette and the silver one to have their hairs flying in both directions. Evelyn looked uneasily at the hill which would lead to the village, trying to keep sight of any men who would catch them out here. Her nerves relaxed when the only noise she heard was a cow's moo.

"Ma'am, you know that I am fifteen. I am unaware of my biological parents' identities and of the whereabouts of my foster family. At the sixteenth anniversary of my birth I will be presented to men who I have no interest in to go off and marry. It may be best, for my sake, to leave the village."

"Bah! You are attempting plain foolishness, I assure you--"

"My deed may be selfish, but you are one who knows me best next to my foster family. I need to find answers of my family-- both families." The fifteen-year-old gazed up to the ladder with green keen and hopeful eyes. "There must be more than this life, and I intend to find out of these things."

Ms. Randell smiled sadly at the girl, and she shook her head. Of course, letting her go would be hard, but the young girl beholds much potential and excitement. It would have been a pity to let that all go to waste, just as the old woman did at her age. 

Should she let Evelyn go, Ms. Randell would be greeted in the village with treason. But perhaps, if Evelyn returns, her husband would understand that not all of the unknown and magical could be bad. The old women grasped the girl tightly and embraced her. "Please, my dear, do come back holding great news of the world up there."

"I promise." Evelyn tugged away and latched onto the ladder, starting to climb.

"Now, go. Go off at once, before dawn should dare to catch you! For once the day has awaken from it's slumber it will try it's best to work against you! I wish you best on your journey!"

Evelyn did so. Her first several steps on the ladder caused her to slip due to the dew collectively forming, but she brought herself together. The wind blew, hiding the squeaks and noises. Surprisingly, the ladder did not sway unevenly; its base is stubbornly in place. Her eyes squinted to see the end. 

The journey may be long ahead, but the brunette knew that at the finals pages of the journey, it would be hope that brought her to where she was meant to be: at the end of the ladder, with answers and a fresh sight on the future ahead.

---

50 comments:

  1. I love it. You will at least come second with something of this quality.

    Edie Rose

    - mintyperfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Aww, you are very kind. I wish my writing would improve, but I am working on it!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. Wow!

    I'm stunned!

    I'm not quite sure what I just read!

    It was completely, utterly, abnormally perfect!

    If I was a fallen star, I would give you first, second, third and fourth!

    Amazing!

    You have a gift!

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Internet! :) The story is an interaction between the mayor's wife, who wants the girl named Evelyn to stay-- whereas the girl wants the exact opposite. When I was looking at the prompts that picture in the post pretty much pulled at me, and that's when I knew I had to write and relay the story.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. This is awesome. Please keep writing this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have so many sequels and draft rewrites I need to work on, I'm not so sure I can get back to this for awhile. DX

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. I was going to say something completely childish and whatnot, but then I decided against it. XD

    Fabulous writing, Morning dear. I loveeeeeeeeeeee your writing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding? I've played on a playground for a total of twelve hours in the month of May, and let me tell you that I have outgrown the "appropriate" age to play on a playground. I don't mind childishness! :D Thank you. I love your writing too! your poetry though... XDDD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. perfectly amazing <3 you're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm that talented, but well, let us see how things fare when I enter this one national writing and art contest... *snickers*

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. I love this! I think it's a great idea to take a picture that looks interesting and make a story out of it! Great idea and great story! I am actually have a story contest for my birthday and blog anniversary. For more information you can go to my blog. The most unique story wins candy or a notebook.
    ~Ellie;P
    www.uniquelyyou1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It's been awhile since I've heard from you, Ellie! How's life been? I usually get my inspiration for stories from dilemmas that happen to me, dreams, and just life, in general... it's actually uncommon for me to end up taking a photo and writing about it! I'll be sure to check out your contest! I don't think I can enter if it requires for me to have to give out any personal info, but I'll still see how it goes!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
    2. It's been good! You don't need to require any personal info. I mean if you win I do send you something in the mail, but if you wouldn't like sharing your address I could just give you something else without having to mail it.

      Delete
    3. Hi! Yes, I think something digital would be nice, I suppose. ^.^ I can't share my address for privacy reasons.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Wow! That was an incredible short story! Written very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jollygirl! What stood out to you that made it seem well written?

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. Wow!! That was beautiful! I love it. You should definitely write more. :)

    Christine | Everything is Blogsome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to think about writing more. The thing about stories and me is that even once I have reached the end of the story, writing wise, it still keeps on going. It's like with Melody and her siblings; I didn't necessarily say what happened to all of them, but their stories still live. :) In the meantime, while wading through my fourth draft of one novel, I will be sure to keep these stories in mind and perhaps, if there is something that needs to be said, revisit them again.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. You rock, girlfriend. I think every one of us has that small piece of our heart that longs for adventure, and exploring the unknown, and this picture+short story attest to that. :)

    Chloe | Curious Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very much true! In fact, out of all of the photo prompts Emily gave, I decided to choose this one because there was an actual story that needed to be told, a story of the longing of adventure. If there is something that needs to be expressed and shared, even it it is just shared only by a few handful, I write. :) That is what I live for.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. That is perfection, Morning! I love the way you write! God has given you such a great talent for writing! I can't wait to see more<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you are right; He has given me a talent for writing. Church wise, I'm not sure what to do. Am I supposed to write in allegory? That is usually what I write in a lot of my novels, but it always retains to the ideas of morality and character rather than a relationship to God... if there ever is a story which causes me to write Christian allegory I suppose I shall.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. Your writing is amazing Morning, it's breathtaking every single time. I can't wait to see more :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! My writing muse has been bouncing in and out since the dawn of studying for finals, and right now, I think it's absent because my brain is still recovering... hehe. I'm going to keep trying to post snippets of my writing! There will be more to come.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  12. Beautiful. I loved your entry! You have vivid descriptions that capture these characters perfectly. I love the duologue as well. Amazing Morning.
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D I actually did intend for it to be longer, but then I was like, "No, the reason why this story was written to show the relationship between two people of letting go and exploring," and thus the reason of why it was cut short. I'm glad you like the dialogue! :)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  13. Amazing! You are such a talented writer! :)

    Shine on,
    GirlRadio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GirlRadio! :D

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  14. Wow, your writing is amazing! I absolutely love the story, too ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love you sooo much!! Breathtaking!! Aaaaannndddd you just gained a follower!!

    pengirl9.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much! Are you a new blogger? I haven't heard of you until now... nether the less I will check out your blog! :D

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  16. Oh, this is amazing! I love it!
    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathryn! I actually saw the last post that you wrote... and I've been writing down something pretty long for the writing game. Hehe... :) You'll see!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  17. This piece of writing is amazing xx :)
    http://agirlblogx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, a girl! It's always nice to hear from you! :D

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  18. wow that was beautiful I hope you win :) im sorry no words of inspiration but that was lovely I really hope there's more soon :) yay! you go girl win this thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D I don't think there will be more installments to this story for a while, BUT there will be more writing coming up on this blog over the next several posts.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  19. This is amazing! Seriously, you have outdone yourself. Best of luck in the contest!

    P.S- I nominated you for the Creative Blogger's Award. You can find it on my own blog. I hope you enjoy doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you so much! I'm trying to look for the award post on your blog but I can't seem to find it! Weird! :(

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  20. Outstanding job in your entry! Good luck to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is very well written! Good luck!!!!!!!! Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, I will try get a follow button up on my blog as soon as possible..Thank you So much again! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, just tell me when it's up so I can follow ASAP! I often have so much I have to help out with in the blogging world that I often leave things hanging for awhile... :P No problem!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  22. Awesome!
    I wrote an entry for this contest too!
    How do you think of the names? Whenever I write my stories,my mind is blank when it comes to naming the characters. But at other times, I can think of millions of name for characters.I started writing names down on Sticky Notes later. The problem's not that bad now.
    This entry is awesome and I'm sure you'll get a prize!!
    Soundarya
    rsoundarya0707.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be sure to check out your entry, too, once I finish commenting!

      Names... names are the hardest things for me to make up as well. For some stories, such as this one, it's easy for me to make names. A lot of times, the names end up reflecting the person's inner self, like my novel character's Addie and Bee.

      But for other characters, like Melody in Watch, it is actually much harder. The name has to reflect and "fit" the person; if I had given Kathryn a more modern name, it wouldn't have fit the setting. It takes awhile, and I have to go searching. In fact, the novel I'm rewriting for the fourth time I'm thinking of changing their names. If I have to write my novel and I can't think of the proper name, I just use a "place name"; a name I refer to for a character in the meantime until the actual name comes up in that place.

      If you need to find names, I suggest going on Baby Name sites, like Nameberry. You can find names on their easily, popular names, etc. It works well. If you are trying to find a name that means something, you can type of what you are trying to find and results would pop up in a snap!

      I hope that this helped! Names are delicate things, and to name a character spontaneously isn't the best decision all the time. >.<

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah