02 November 2014

Bee's Theme

Today I am very pleased to tell you about my novel's theme! This month of November is the month of NaNoWriMo, and I am planning on writing about a novel idea I have had in mind for quite some time now.

I've been doing NaNoWriMo for exactly two years; today is my NaNo birthday! I exactly remember the day I joined NaNoWriMo. My family went out to go watch Rise of the Guardians at a faraway movie theater (alert: I was supposed to go to the exact same movie theatre today with some friends, but apparently the day got moved). Nearby that movie theater is a long chain of stores that my family went to visit. There, at Kohl's, I bought this sparkly white t-shirt and turtleneck for Christmas and New Year. Several days prior to that, I joined the NaNoWriMo group at my library, and so when we were shopping at Best Buy, I causally asked my mom to join the site. After that, we went to go eat at a sushi place. :)

Throughout the past several months, I have been giving you tiny snippets of how the it will play out, and although this information that I have presented is quite vague, I can now to you the plot and premise of this! Now I know this is not the plot line, but I believe that the overall theme is what makes the plot the plot, the characters the way they are, the reasons behind everything in the story. So it is really important.

Cornelia Beatrice Harvard, or Bee, as she is better called by her family, often gets teased about her physical appearance. Everyone thinks that she is adopted, looking nothing like her parents, and she is looked down upon by everyone at school-- quite literally, as her height is only 4'11". She physically looks like a freshman, but is actually a sophomore who's brain power can challenge those of the juniors and seniors.

There are several unfortunate circumstances that cause her to be thrown into the world of public school, for a good cause. Her reasons for joining are for the greater good of her family. Her knowledge on the interaction very discreet and vague, for she rarely interacts with anyone outside of her family. Her personality and values all revolve around the intellect; be analytic and rational, speak only with others who carry and crave the same level of knowledge as she, and goals come before everything else.  This causes her to be a bit of a loner.

Some of the main "antagonists" are three (or four, I still need to decide whether to add or remove a character) students who stand in the way of reaching this goal that she is trying very hard to achieve. Yes, they are formidable opponents whose skills, however different, are on par with hers in intellect. All are older, and Bee gets competitive and fired up to fight against them, but her small demeanor makes the antagonists underestimate her.

Are you all understanding what I've been trying to say so far? Everyone can't see past the physical appearance of Bee to see what the real thread coming from her is: her brain power and determination.

At first, Bee strongly dislikes the antagonists with their cockiness and ability to sway the school crowd of the school's opinions. She sees them to have no reason as to why they would be fighting for the same goal as she. As the novel progresses, she realizes that how they appear to be is different then how they really are on the inside.

Before I reveal to you what the main theme is, before I make it obvious and clear, I would like to tell you about photography and what it means to me. My camera just shattered (the screen part) which totally kills me, but hopefully I will get it fixed and won't have to get a new one. When I first got my camera, all I took were just pictures with everyone and everything all poised and smiling towards the camera. As I progressed in my photography, my photo library subjects changed. I took photos of subtle little things that no one seemed to notice, but that's how I am-- I notice the tinniest details that no one seems to care about.

My photography reflected me. I bring my camera everywhere. I take pictures of things that aren't properly positioned. I take photos things people see, and what they overlook-- soda cans, glasses, city lights, and dead plants. I brought my camera over my phone. People used to think that that was a strange thing to do, with everyone with the increasing usage of smartphones, but they got accustomed to it. Even with my camera broken, I still use it. Half of my LCD glass may be shattered, but that doesn't necessarily hinder my perspective. I just need to view it on my laptop.

This was me several months ago, using a school camera. 

The main theme of my novel for this year is all about the perspective of how we take in the world and other people. This is more like a 3-dimensional, 360 degree sort of perspective. I bet when we first see people or their actions, we only see the front part-- the 2D feel, and this causes us to hinder our sight on their reasons on doing certain things. This is a lot similar to biases. We have to look past that and give the entire view of everything before judging.

Usually, that is how I try to think a lot when I interact with my surrounding environment, especially when I try to help others. That's the way I work. I ask myself, "What does everyone need? What can I do to help?" At my school, there's a lot of people have really horrible days, and when I have to work with these people, I try to help cut them some slack and help them through. I can't help it; it's in my nature to do that.

This is one of the major struggles that Bee has to go through. She is critical and sees 3D in a rational and critical standpoint, but with anything emotional? Oh boy. For her, that's uncharted territory which she has to wade in very carefully. (I just tested her for her personality type, and she is an INTJ, one of the toughest personalities out there, and it's almost the polar opposite of how I am.) I love making my characters in all of my novels suffer about deep things: grieving, healing, broken hearts, identity crisis, and now, perspective. There's some deep stuff going on here at my little imagination office.

How's everyone doing so far in NaNoWriMo? What's your novel's theme? If you want to talk to me during NaNoWriMo for Word Wars or you've ran out of steam or need a plot idea, talk to me! I love talking to people during NaNoWriMo!

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with your novel! It sounds amazing.
    I'm also doing NaNoWriMo. It's my favourite event of the year. My family always looks forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many people talk about NaNoWriMo, maybe I should consider looking into it more sometime.
    Your novel idea sounds super awesome! Good luck with it!
    -Lauren <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I'm so EXCITED! I'm a INTJ too. Good luck! X
    - June

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good theme. Stories are more meaningful when there's a moral/value that is expressed through them. Good luck with NaNoWriMo, and I'm so sorry about your camera. What a sad day that must've been! :( Will you be able to get a new one soon?

    -Riley XO
    smilesnomatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I nominated you for an award! http://lordsgirls.blogspot.com/2014/11/blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog♥

    How about follow each other?
    I follow your blog. Waiting for you♥
    My Blog: http://juliemcqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good idea. How long will it take to complete the novel?

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah