06 May 2014

"Look Up."

(via YouTube. My teacher told us there was a word in here that wasn't exactly... appropriate. 
I can't find it now, so I'm just going to warn you ahead of time.)

Hello, everyone! I have some downtime today, two days before our constitution competition, so I’m sharing something that my language arts teacher showed us. This video was shown, and after I saw that, I was really happy I chose theater—which took place of my usually laptop time.

This is such a true video! Okay, for the past several minutes now, I’ve been reading the comments about the video, and it’s pretty much neutral. Some people say it’s ironic that they’d post a video about taking your eyes off the computer screen in a place where people have their eyes on computer screens (YouTube) he does say to “look up” from the screen once the video is over. Just here me out.
I have many opinions about technology. Awhile back (about several months ago), I wrote a piece about my thoughts on technology, something I was going to submit but at the end, wasn’t allowed to. Anyways, this is what I said.

“Technology helps and hurts communication, depending on the situation and usage.

           I can’t go visit my friends’ houses or let them come over due to my parents’ schedules and the fact that we’re trying to save money. The only way I can communicate with my friends is by texting. One time, my friend and I had an idea over the summer to have online chats with some of my friends who were on the same grade team last year. We also emailed each other. This was great, because we did have didn’t have to be in the same place at the same time to chat, and we could also role-play with one another. Another reason why it helped with communication was because when I was writing a story and they were pitching in with ideas, we didn’t have to meet at a certain place at a certain time to chat!

        Communicating through text and emails also helped when one of my friends or I needed help with homework! Not only are we able to text or email each other about homework, our teachers gave everyone on our grade team a site where the teachers can post class assignments and we can send and post messages asking questions if we needed any help!

           Technology hurts relationships and communication, too. First off, those who don’t have access to technology can feel left out because of conversations that happen over the phone. I have cousins who, during parties, are mainly on their phones and are showing various text messages or Instagram posts to one another. Everyone else is left out. Also, because you’re not face-to-face with the person you are chatting with, you might take something that someone said differently than what they intended to say it as. It can be confusing. In real life, people can tell whether someone is joking or being sarcastic, but through a screen, one thing that someone meant to sound funny may sound offensive or not make any sense!

            Even if technology helps make people be able to communicate with people, it can have a negative effect with interpersonal relationships and cause people to be anti-social! Whenever I go to the school library before school, there are people inside either on their smart phones or on their computers, and there is little interaction face-to-face! Sometimes, I see texting someone who is also in the same room just several feet away! Why can’t they just talk to them in person?

           Technology helps when you re communicating on the go or elsewhere, but too much technology can harm communication skills that you will need in the future! It’s okay to use technology as a way to communicate – I chat with my friends using it. What I am trying to say is, it is all right to use technology, if you look at how you are using it. Honestly, just don’t forget to talk and spend time with the person face-to-face as well! At school, my friends and I chat to one another in person, and spending time with them that way is more fun, anyways!”

One of the parts that really got to me was the part about there being almost no more kids outside, playing hopscotch, swinging on the swings, or building treehouses. In the summer right before seventh grade middle school (depending on where you lived in my town determines when you start middle school) there were many kids in my neighborhood—twelve kids, though there were at least four more who showed up every once in a couple of days. We played outside every day, turning the usual bleak sidewalks into something, though temporary, something that was colorful and wonderful. We even got into a water balloon fight one time!

Then, I guess everything changed when the school year began. Middle school was making me watch my step over the amount of times I can go and play outside. Soon, the parents of the kids’ families got job transfers or decided to move, and besides my brother and I, there are only three kids left, the one closest to our age three years younger than I.

I miss playing outside. And, until I had the chance to audition for a local casting of a play, I was stuck at home for most of my time. I couldn’t go to my friends’ houses, being so far away, so I was really subject to reading for about two and a half hours on average a day. (I didn’t mean to rhyme there.) Now that I’m done with theater for this school year season, I’m back at home. The next biggest break that is coming up shortly is summer break. Because this is what I call a “transition” year, I want to make this summer stuffed with activities. I want to go and see the world rather than get stuck at home, reading, surfing the internet, and watching movies (good activities for the rainy days).

I think, after all, that’s what I’m going to try doing this summer. No, actually, that is what I’m going to start doing every summer. Look, summer or winter break, depending on where you live, is one of those times where you actually can go out and see the world, taking a “break” from the hectic life of school, home, and extra-curricular activities. Staying on your laptop or our smartphones is something that we do during the school year, so go and take a break! I’m not encouraging to be off your laptop for the ENTIRE summer; it’s your choice, and it’s okay to pop online sometimes.

This summer, make memories that you don’t have to share with the world on a screen that isn’t entirely permanent; make memories that you can share with the people you love—your friends and family. Even I go through many things during theater and school, but I only blog about the fraction of the craziness and fun that does occur off-screen. If you don’t have any idea about what to do over the summer, keep a look out for a post that I’m going to be revealing to you in the next two weeks.

So, go on! Go out into the world. Get off those twelve and six-inch LED screens that are blaring videos of One Direction and Birdy, and go out in that one direction: that direction toward summer and sun! What are you waiting for? Get off the screen, and:

Look up.

2 comments:

  1. That was a very cool video...really enjoyed watching it. :)
    And I just wanted to say thank you so much for the comment on my blog, and for praying for my little brother. ♥
    Tane ♥
    tangerinetane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a awesome video! I totally agree with that guy! All my friends are always on their devices when I visit with them. Sometimes I wish we could just have a normal conversation and just have fun together (No electronics required).

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah