27 April 2014

Manhattan


"You can have Manhattan,
I know it's what you want.
The bustle and the buildings
The weather in the fall…."
"Manhattan," Sara Bareilles

I miss the city lights. My town may not exactly be the city that never sleeps, but that landscape, the warm dim glow of the stoplights, and the skyscrapers—oh, the skyscrapers—whose tips could reach the stars and the wispy clouds better that my stick hands could, it was beautiful. Beautiful, and different, in the sense that I grew up on the side of town where every house was identical, except for the cars and the addresses.

I glance outside of the car as the landscape change. I could not believe that, after a lunch period of frantically starting my Geometry homework and an hour of finishing at my household, I spent four hours for two weeks at our towns' local theater, performing and practicing.

I am leaving behind the place where I sang the Frozen soundtrack foolishly and loudly, the place where we met some very famous Broadway actors and stand-up comedians, the place where I was allowed to walk down the streets, with bags in both hands, where I was called Princess Anna for having my hair in braids, a place which is not Manhattan, but Manhattan's child. So many memories, such little time…. It's hard to say goodbye.

I know I may not come back here for many months, or maybe years. Perhaps someday, I can come back to the place I love, the place where serenity washes over me, a place where we just live. So for now, goodbye, Manhattan. Goodbye to the city lights, the comforting euphoria and humbleness in the warm buildings, the signatures of the various Broadway casts on our walls, goodbye.

"You can have Manhattan
The one we used to share
The one where we were laughing
And drunk on just being there
Hang on to the reverie
Could you do that for me?
Cause I'm just too sad to

You can have Manhattan
Cause I can't have you..."

(image credit to owner, lyrics belong to Sara Bareiiles)

9 comments:

  1. Lovely! I really want to visit Manhattan <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manhattan is so big and beautiful! Honestly, if you summed up Manhattan, it would be organized and disorganized. Those two are opposites, but the entire suburb of Manhattan is based on a grid-like style. The avenues and the subways are super cluttery (is that even a word?) in the sense that there is a lot of hectic in the air, but if you ever do get the chance to go and visit New York City, just go! It's a life-changing experience, especially standing in Times Square, with all of the lights flashing above you.... <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. We have some music of Sara Bareilles...but this post was wonderful. It is hard to say goodbye, I know, because my family and I recently had to move as well.
    You write beautifully. Love your blog, dear, and I'm a new follower ♥
    Tane ♥
    tangerinetane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to say goodbye. :( I've only moved once before (from the Philippines to the United States) when I was three. I honestly don't remember any memories from when I lived there except holding my parents' hands and running through the airport, but I have heard from friends who have moved into the area it is hard. Thank you! <3 your blog too. :D

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. I've always hated the actual process of moving from one house to the next (though luckily we've never moved farther than ten minutes down the road), because that when you have to say goodbye and move on. Our family is actually moving right now. The pictures on the walls are packed up in boxes, my bedroom devoid of curtains and book posters, and the house is starting to look a little more empty and a little less like the home I've grown up in for seven years now. But I'm excited for the next adventure that awaits us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said above, moving stinks. Like, it literally stinks dirt sandwiches. My parents have been telling my brother and I that we MAY move to another house in the same area (sort of like you are going through right now) and that would really stink if that DID happen, but I suppose that is one of the best things about moving: new adventures!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. ps: Psst...hey girl...I nominated you for the Sunflower blogger award...and you don't have to do it if you don't want to.
    Tane ♥
    tangerinetane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been, but it sounds lovely :)

    ashley-ashstash.blogspot,com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Typo in the link!

    ashley-ashstash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah