22 February 2014

Living Life

Quote of the Month:
“And I bet one thing. I bet that their stories are like mine in one way—anything but typical and ordinary. After all, that’s what I call life.” –Jill Wolfson, What I Call Life
                I came across this quote in Jill Wolfson’s What I Call Life, a rather recent read of mine. Eleven-year-old Cal Lavender is sent away to a foster home due to her mother’s fits nd learns that she has more with everyone else there then she possibly imagined. It’s a short, yet sweet book, and I really enjoyed seeing Cal’s “short, temporary detour from what I call life,” as she puts it.
                For the past several weeks, I have been experiencing theater and other strange things, like the paper ball fight in the hallway used to teach stress (the assistant principal knew what was going on and was okay with it), and feeling really awkward performing at my old elementary school. I have been experiencing this thing called life.
                Before theater, I used to just sit around and surf the internet on weekday evenings. There was nothing else to do, expect read and write, things I did right after homework. I had to stay inside my house, because the sun sets earlier than it does in the rest of the world. But for the past few weeks, I feel like I have been out and doing what you’re supposed to in life. I don’t miss my time surfing on the computer when I’m out there, in the real world, doing fun activities, because honestly? I’m outside, and being online doesn’t match up to that standard.
                When I was younger, I couldn’t go to my friends’ houses or go to their sleepovers, because I wasn’t allowed to, even when I asked. Man, I pestered my parents so much to do those fun things. Now, since I am past that age range of being called a child, I haven’t experienced most of the things that you only get to do when you’re a child. I can’t believe that I have to carry that and regret not speaking up for those things.
                Before I actually become an adult, I actually want to go and enjoy this period of my life. I want to experience all of the fun things, before I run out of time to do them. I want to live life so that way, when I grow up, I have the most amazing stories to tell. I won’t just tell stories about things that I experienced but everyone else went through; no, I’ll also tell stories that are extraordinary. Our lives can be extraordinary, depending on how you make of them.
                So go. Go live. Breathe. Run. Jump. Scream. Laugh. Cry. Feel the joy and the sorrow.
                Live life to the fullest.
post signature

9 comments:

  1. This was beautiful and so inspirational. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Anna. Beautiful. Amazing. Inspirational. I'm VERY proud to say that I'm your newest follower! :D
    I can totally relate, my parent's were strict about the going over and sleeping over stuff. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D Yeah, they're still strict (they won't let me do theater anymore. :( ) I hope I can do again someday!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Well, I have been successfully motivated! You're writing is lovely and relatable! Can't wait to browse your blog more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true! I never asked to go to friend's houses or anything when I was younger because I knew my parents would say no, and because I had no one who I was that close with. Now, I still barely get out. But my co-op has brought what I call an amazing change from what I was a year ago, with me among kids my own age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for you that that change occurred. :)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. This post is written beautifully! <3

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah