19 May 2013

The Grown Up Pika


This week is the final week of school, before summer arrives.
     I have mixed feelings about summer all of the time; no more school, yet I don’t get to see any of my friends. I get to sleep in, but then, I won’t be able to soak in the sunshine. For a couple of years, my feelings for the summer has always been like this. 
     But the main thing that I love about the summer is something that I see during this season every single morning. Whenever I wake up and look out the window, the horizon just seems so beautiful and a certain kind of peacefulness, and you just end up stopping and appreciating things that you don’t pay much attention too.
     I had a discussion about how it’s kind of weird that the things that you don’t have mean a lot to you and you want it extremely bad, but when you end up having the item it has less worth, like material items. But things-- like friends and family, or an item of value that is valuable to you-- are not these items. In fact, you cherish them more. That many things you will have for a certain time so you should cherish them.
     These two lessons-- appreciating things that you don’t pay much attention to and cherishing everything that you have-- were, and sometimes, still are, the two of the few lessons that I have the most trouble grasping the concept to, when I was younger.
    And then, seventh grade came. 
    These two lessons I began to understand during the second semester of school-- where I met 10 of the most awesome people that I have ever met and met the five coolest teachers. During the middle of the second semester, instead of going on the computer after I finished my homework during lunch, I’d chat with my friends. There wins were my wins, and their losses were my losses. And they still are. 
This is a Pika-- an American Pika, that is.
     My teachers-- at first, they were strict, but throughout the year, they began to warm up, even the one teacher that always seemed his stiff usual self. I learned a lot from them, from the educational things like Algebra and Mesopotamia, to the very interesting things, like the fact that here, in the US, you can pay with a ripped-up ten-dollar bill as long as you give the bigger half.
     And I am going to miss the memories from seventh grade that still flow in my mind right now as I type.
     Like the memory of being called “Pika” after pronouncing the name wrong in science class. (Which is now what some people call me).
     I’ll still remember those days when my friends and I sang “Happy Birthday” to two of our teachers, one who locked himself out of the door until the song was done and the other wh,for once, did yell at us to be quiet.
    I’ll remember the time when our teacher let us watch a music video in science.
    I’ll remember the time when, in fifth period, our teacher would let us work together in group and everyone would work in small groups, and, after finishing, would compare answers with the rest of the class (which is our choice to do).
    I’ll miss dancing with my friends during passing time, and singing songs (loudly!) from “Just Dance 4.”
    I’ll miss playing “Human Knot” and “Ninja” with my friends.
    I’ll miss taking silly images of myself and my friends inside the library, during lunch.
    I’ll miss having a Jeopardy game in class-- boys vs. girls.
    And all of the wonderful debates we have about random things, like “Are glasses cool or not?”
    I hope, that, this last week of school will help me wrap these up and help me say goodbye to my friends before the three-month break, before I put the books away and put on the sunglasses.