21 February 2013

Labels: In School and Society

I'm just curious... how many of you you wear popular brands, such as Aeropostale and American Eagle? I'm just curious. Yes, these brands have a huge part in my post today.

No, this is not a post that says, "If you wearing these brands, DON'T!" No, it really isn't. I absolutely respect people who wear these- in fact, I own clothes only because my auntie always buy clothes from Aeropostale when she has to give presents to me.

Labels. In life, this is how people judge us. A lot of times, the "infielders," which is everyone calls the self-acclaimed popular crowd at my school, judge people depending on what we wearing. Many times, they will judge everything about us- how we look, our personalities, practically everything. If they don't like what they see, well, they try to change you and just give you a "label."

Have you also read those middle school books where, in the cafeteria, people sit at a certain place depending on their labels? Imagine a lunch room. For example, the "dorks" would gather up at the far end of the cafeteria, the "drama queens" sit next to the stage, while the nerds are huddled a corner. Sadly, this is what we have always read.

Here's a question I will address. Why do many give out labels to what they see? That is a simple question that leads to the hard, cold truth: This is just another way that people judge others. The "labels" make it a lot more easier to see who they want to hang out with. Like, for instance, if there was a clique chic stereotype  that say a girl with glasses, the clique chic may just say to herself, "Man, that girl is such I nerd! I don't think I'd want to hang out with her."

People that are labeled may also get teased or bullied just because they are labeled one thing. Many times, the chic clique/cheerleader stereotypes bully and the jocks end up teasing them for not being "normal." Sometimes, the poor teased victims end up changing, not being their true, wonderful selves anymore, or maybe even become depressed. :(

The good news is, not all schools have people "labeled." But if you are one of those people that go to the schools with labels, then don't be afraid to be yourself. Whether you are called a dork, geek, nerd, freak, drama queen, crybaby or any other labels that I have not mentioned and have pressure sitting on your shoulders because of it, just remember that you should be who you want to be, not what others tell you to be. -<3 Morning, with love

P.S Even the greats have started out with labels, so don't worry! Some famous people have all started out with labels too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah