14 August 2017

The Homey Boardwalk Town

 The mountains on the drive to are ginormous-- just look at the telephone poles.

Looking out to the river at the rest stop. 

Hello, everyone! Recently, my family did one of the most uncharacteristic things ever-- take a last minute trip to a town over three hundred miles away from where we lived. I remember doing some online research one Saturday evening when my parents announced us leaving the following day for the overnight trip, prompting me to find the charger for my cameras and scrambling to download some episodes of Downton Abbey on my phone in case the trip droned on. Just as a small note: this town is the southern most town within our region of the state that's reachable by car. 

On Sunday morning, my family packed ourselves into the car with a day's worth of amenities and a cooler, and set off. The episodes I downloaded went unnoticed on the way to the town. It had been over five years since my family drove that many miles away. All I could do was watch as the coastline traded in for rocky shrubbery, to mountainous terrain, all the way down to picket branches. We passed by the fishing and clam beaches and proceeded to drive an additional hour just absorbing in the volcanoes and glaciers, with eighties songs, such as "It's Just a Fantasy" and "99 Luftballoons" playing in the background.

 One (of four) dormant volcanoes that are visible on the drive to the town.

 This particularly strand of boardwalk had a bubble blowing station. A bubble blowing station!

 A bike.

 Sadly, we didn't have a campfire during the trip.

Yes, "How Far I'll Go" actually is appropriate to sing when looking through the door... 

 All of the shops are this cute on the inside.

One of the interesting aspects of the town is the small long strip of land formed millions of years ago due to several geological features seceding away. The road goes on for about five to seven miles, and lined all around the edges are a ton of boardwalk shops. At first, we didn't know how long the strip actually went-- we only saw one strand of boardwalk and decided to explore it for a bit, as our parents were trying to look for a specific soap brand from the area. All of the buildings look cool, even the tattoo shop, and it just fit perfectly! The buildings all had large windows that looked out to the bodies of water as well as the ocean dwellers that lurked near the coastline.

This town has its own unique charm-- I feel like it's one of those places where the locals know each other very well and are super sweet. It's definitely the kind of town that I'd love to host the Blogger Party at. Somehow, the area has made fishing gear, painted signs, and flowers combined all together visually appealing. Every angle had a different color, and if a certain sign or picture was just a dark color, the blue and green background made it pop! Tons of people crowded the roads as they went from store to store, whether it be one of many seafood eateries, a knapsack store with a wood-wall interior and bags hanging from the ceiling, or a gift shop selling super sassy coin purses. Pretty much just imagine the first little bit of "Belle" from Beauty and the Beast, and this describes how the town is.

 There are many flags that go around the docks, and each one has their own symbol for something. I forgot what this one represented, though!

 Painted signs are all over the place.

 Some fishing equipment.

Wooden carved fish! It's about five feet tall. 

 I haven't had clam chowder in forever and this bread bowl was just delicious! It's probably because the clams have been freshly caught.

If driving constantly is difficult, rent some bikes! There were over fifty people getting around the area with them. Just be sure to pay attention to the long road where cars are constantly going by! 

 How did this log get to an upright position, and why? Some questions of the town can never be answered...

 Some beach houses on the edge of the area.

 People walking along the beach.

 Hiding away from the immense heat the sun has to offer.

 The dock here is twice as big as the nautical town, but like many towns bordering the coast, the main livelyhood involves fishing.

 There weren't any checkers or chess pieces available! It's a pity, too-- my brother and I had to wait at this table as our parents asked for directions. My brother was about ready to pluck off some flower petals still on their stems to use as checkers pieces and I was ready to scream out. Don't kill the span of flowers-- that's just cruel.

 The wind slowly caresses the wild grass.

 My family watched people cut some fish. The net and the rotten piece on the top left corner is supposed to ward off any wildlife, particularly seagulls and bears.

 Unlike the wooden fish, these ones are real and freshly caught, so the smell reeked!

 There are so many animal wooden windmills!

 Flower beds border the edge of the boardwalks.

 A dock station featuring some private and charter boats.

 Some wildflowers!

 Some other wildflowers-- all of the wildlife is just so lively!

 "She sells sea shells by the sea shore!" Still can't say that tongue twister...

Seagulls kept squawking-- I was tempted to burst out singing The Seagull Song. 

 I love the ocean!

 This eatery is adorable-- it has an upstairs floor that's awfully reminiscent of a tiny house.

This is under the small shack from the picture above. 

 Wood-stoved pizza, friends. Wood-stoved. The one pictured above is also vegetarian friendly (no meat)!

 A photo of the abandoned ship graveyard, where boats that are no longer in use go to pass, for a lack of a better word. 

The second day, dark overcast clouds loomed over head, so my family and I ended up going over to visit a ton of museums and other areas. One of my favorite places I ended up spotting is the boat graveyard, where all of the boats that are no longer in use go over and just lay. It's kind of creepy, but it's neat to look at the progression of what boats looked like five or ten years ago. For example, one of the boats (the brown large one pictured above) has a living space on the inside-- there are still books and vinyls covering the windows.

On the drive back, we passed by all the lakes and rivers again. We probably drove over fifteen of them, which is an insane number, and that doesn't even include the ocean that borders the left right when driving north! I brainstormed fifteen blog post ideas and drafted a few, which should last me the remainder of the year, took photos of the lakes, and then watched a few episodes of Downton Abbey. It was bliss.

 There are some other nearby towns, but they're only accessible by boat or plane.

 Some clay cups shown at a museum.

 This painting is meant to symbolize an ocean, and it's made by watercolor and tide book pages.

One of the many lakes on the drive back home.

Have you ever visited a boat graveyard? What are some qualities you like about small towns? Do you like wood-stoved pizza? Also, be sure to sign up for the yearbook, friends!

33 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! The pictures are beautiful, you did an amazing job of capturing the moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'aww, thank you, Gray! Aren't small towns just so beautiful? You can't help but appreciate and dote on them.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  2. WOW this is gorgeous Abby <3
    I really love these picture posts, it's nice to get away and imagine you were there for a little while ^.^
    I absolutely LOVE wood stoved pizza! And though there are no charming little towns where I live, hopefully I will travel to some in the future :)

    Beautiful post Abby! <3

    Anna | www.worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna-- SAME. That's why I love reading through National Geographic; while a lot of their posts are science based, they have such goregous photos and you can't help but just read about them and marvel.

      Wood stoved pizza is just so yummy! It takes awhile to make, but it's worth it. Gosh, now I'm feeling starved...

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  3. The pics are awesome! I have never been to a boat graveyard but it seems interesting.
    I love the quaint boutiques and cafes at small towns :)

    xx Bubbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boat graveyards are fascinating. We couldn't walk through it (we could only drive past it) since there are no parking spaces or sidewalks that lead to the area, but it is interesting to look at.

      I love boutiques and cafes, too. I don't think there were many cafes in town... mainly just fish and chip restaurants!!!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  4. THIS LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF FUN! I want to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's actually like a place I'd consider doing the Blogger Party, if it only weren't so detached from the rest of the country.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! You live in such a gorgeous area :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I honestly love the town-- I hope I could visit it again sometime in the near future. <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  6. These photographs are gorgeous! I hope you had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a ton of fun! We couldn't try any of the outdoor activities the town had to offer, like boating, kayaking, or taking an airplane tour, but walking around was satisfying enough for me. ^.^

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  7. BEAUTIFUL! Also, there's a bubble blowing station??? Um can I go right now? Thanks so much. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, YES YOU MAY. The bubble blower wands are actually pretty decent sized-- they're about the circumference of a basketball!!! We should pop all of the bubbles and make fifty more. xD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  8. I WANT TO GO THERE. It looks like SO cute. The picture of the shop was by far my favorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LAUREN YOU HAVE TO. Literally if there is a definition for aesthetic little town, it would be this place. I love it so much-- it's better than the bleak weather we're having at the moment!!!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  9. LOL MY FAMILY DOES THAT ALL THE TIME. Like we'll schedule vacations but not really know where we're going until we leave the house.

    The pictures are so pretty! It looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! Usually my mom is the one who plans down everything down to the last detail, but this time, she was like, "We have a place to stay but I know almost nothing about this town." It was such a wonderful time!!!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  10. I love spontaneous family adventures! that looked like so much fun! The town looked absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spontaneous family adventures, too! Sometimes, planned vacations fall flat because what you've been anticipating maybe different from what you experience, but the experience here just sky rocketed. >.<

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  11. Wow this is GORGEOUS Abby! A boat graveyard sounds so beautiful and poetic, I may have to steal it for a poem someday :p
    x Skye // A little inkling // alittleinklings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Skye! If you ever create that boat graveyard poem, let me know. :D

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  12. This looks like such a lovely place <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh. my gosh. it's so cute! And so aesthetic!!

    Feels Like Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it??? I love the town so much. My parents remark that it's kind of depressing, but I love the small town charm.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  14. Oh my stars, can I go there right now?
    Why can't I live near to something as aesthetic as this!
    So much love for this post and your lovely photographs.
    ~Mira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, YES. Go there when you can!!!

      I'm sure there's an aesthetic place nearby where you live! It's often that when we aren't constantly searching for them we discover the best places. <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  15. That looks like it was such a fun trip! I'm not a huge fan of the beach, but I can't argue with the aesthetic it provides xD

    ~ Abby {novelsdragonsandwardrobedoors.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beaches here mostly consist of rocks, but even when they do, they're still terribly aesthetic you just can't help but squeal! >.<

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  16. Stunning photos as always! I love this post <3
    Thanks for sharing, Abby :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I had the ability to step into photographs. Kind of like the Pensieve in Harry Potter. </3 Your journeys and photos are incredible as always!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah