30 August 2017

Ensemble // Hundred Word Challenge


Word limits are difficult. The challenge of limiting yourself to certain constraints in an art form feels tight, but as my good friend Rachel said one time, it also helps to focus on the important aspects of a memory or a certain scene, and today, I wanted to tackle this one-hundred word memory prompt, seeing that I'm missing theatre a bit more than usual.


“Diva.” Our theatre director initiates the game, singing a song where lyrics fall out of everyone’s lips but my own, an unfamiliarity I’d grown accustomed to but could never shake away. Songs about a wealthy man, minutes in a year, and Frozen blared.

I wanted to enter in, and quietly, I start thinking about the songs and how they related.

Think. "I wanna be a billionaire, so freaking bad..."

Everyone surrounding in our make-shift stared at this ensemble voice belting 2009 Bruno Mars. Arms rise, grappling sepia’s tinged air. Everyone bounced to the rapping and harmonies and—

We sing.

Will you take up this challenge to write a memory exactly one hundred words, nothing more or less? How's school been lately or the remainder? You have a little over a month to sign up for the yearbook! Would you guys be interested in seeing a mini-senior series?

p.s. I need to focus on AP Calc BC and AP Physics; everything has been okay except editing blog posts which  and replying to comments on the blog, so please be patient in that aspect! I'll also be changing up my schedule to post at least once during the weekend at a minimum. Let's see how this works!

22 comments:

  1. love this!!

    Hailey
    www.haileyhudson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! <3 <3 <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  2. exactly 100 words, nothing more or less:

    * * *

    "How much for a cup of coffee?" I asked the coffee lady over the counter. Maybe it would stimulate my artist's imagination.

    She fills my cup to the brim. "Don't worry about it."

    And then inspiration strikes. My pencil flies across the paper.

    When I'm done, I rip out the page. "This is for you."

    "Thank you!" she says.

    I watch her photograph it and paste it on the wall. It shows a steaming cup of coffee and a paper bag that says, 'drink the coffee you love. Love the coffee you drink."

    And it hangs there to this day.

    * * *

    So there! How's that!

    (actually happened to me, you know!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your memory is way better than mine, and you did it so effectively, too! Like, that's INSANELY cool that the photo you drew is still up in a coffee shop. I want to have one of those kind of legacies, alongside being an author and a wor(l)d shaker. xD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank YOU for honestly initiating this post idea-- it's really fun!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  4. This is brilliant, but so hard! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was great! I feel like word limits always seem like a lot when you look at them, but when you start writing you realise how little words there actually are. I remember writing those 25 words contests from magazines and finding it so difficult to get what I wanted to say down.
    https://teenagegirlscibblings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH SAGE I am so sorry I haven't commented on your blog just yet-- as you can see, Im behind on commenting. I feel like for word counts, it depends-- I feel like under one hundred, it's incredibly hard to write in that word count limit, but go bigger like to five hundred and there's a bit more leeway as to what you can do.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  6. This is incredible Abby! You packed a punch, that's something I'll have to do sometime ;) Well done <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to see you do this, Anna! Thank you m'dear. <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  7. Woah. ONLY 100 words??? That must have been difficult! (or at least it would have been for me. XD) I loved the reference to RENT, and now I have "I Want To Be A Millionaire" stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY someone else who actually knows RENT. *cries a ton because no one really knows the show* Limits are hard (initially one hundred words only told half the story I wanted to tell) so there was some revising and editing involved! >.<

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. You know who else is fantastic? YOU ARE FANTASTIC <333

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  9. I LOVE THIS, and what a brilliant memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites, honestly. I love the little nucleus theatre provides.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  10. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH, ABBY! What a great memory. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEPPPP did you catch all of references? I tried to make them obvious just to enstill these are show tunes being sung. ;D

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  11. Yusss *clapping emojis*

    We gotta practice these challenges if we plan to fill out college apps! Some of those word limits are insane. But gotta do it I guess.

    This was beautiful btw ♥

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
  12. THIS WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I just finished reading the vicious ballet book Tiny Pretty Things and your piece reminded me of the book, with the thrill of performing <3

    I'm actually kind of into flash fiction now?! I like how short they are and challenging at the same time.

    - andrea at a surge of thunder

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah