19 July 2017

The Nautical Town of Witty Remarks


In the beginning of July, my family and I ventured hundreds of miles away last minute to visit a small town tucked away in the mountain side. It's been a goal of our family's to travel throughout parts of the state we haven't been to since my brother and I were kids. The last recalled memory from my childhood was stopping by the city to go and use the restroom as my parents chatted with several employees of a large ship setting sail, as well as sitting on top of a giant ice worm couch and staring out into the roaring sea.

The weather falling along the day oscillated-- the forecast initially indicated a sunny, beach mode, but as we traveled the road, clouds rumbled in, blocking out all instances of sunlight streaming through. My headphones blared with writing podcasts and Jimmy Eat World. The chip bag lounging in the middle seat crackled as my brother snacked fervently, leaving only the broken pieces down for the rest of my family. We passed by many rest stops out looking to the large body of water on the right side. Snow cascaded the mountaintops, while water trickled down the rocks. I can almost imagine people taking out their sticker-covered Nalgene bottles and Hydroflasks to collect the liquid and drink.

 A ton of paragliders in the waters!

 Wait a minute, snow is treading the mountainside?

"Here comes the..." 
Tunnel! Not sun, sorry-- it was raining. 

There is only one way to get into the small town: the long one-way tunnel running down for a couple of miles, switching off entering and exiting in fifteen-minute intervals. We paid a small fee to enter inside, while also receiving a complementary map etching out the landscape of the city. Our car drove out to wait in the first lane (out of seven total). While waiting, we took a ton of photos, including of the numerous flies and ants swarming the yellow light pillar base. It was so hot in the tunnel, and despite only being there for around five minutes, I came out in a complete sweat.

 Trying to take this shot was super hard!

 Shoe contrast.

 Waiting to go through the tunnel... as it only heads one way for fifteen minutes at a time!

Full on foliage!

The fog gave a relaxed but kind of eery feel! 

 This little book trade shelf was the first thing we saw, and it's so cute!

 When its nice in town, one of the popular things to do is kayaking!

Little shops and fishing businesses line the edge!

 Found the harbor!

 The air reeked of fish!

 Watching for oncoming boats...

A little nautical community.

"Wow, this looks like a Pokemon town," said my brother, and to some degree, it carried a huge semblance to one, as we kept making witty comparison marks. The moment we emerged from the other side, we were greeted by a torrential downpour and a light breeze. The fog settled closer towards the ground, and numerous tourists picketed the streets, going out to eat doughnuts or trying out some fudge, cramming to get to difficult angles to take photos of large boats. 

We walked the boardwalk and glanced down to boaters, and I kid you not, these kids who couldn't have been older than twelve walked along the side of the boat while it was moving fast and knotted the ropes. Several fisherman returned and cut their catch along the docks, discarding the heads and keeping the bodies. Inside the car, we ate some burgers and Filipino pastries.

 Numerous visitors also trekked the small quaint town.

 A view of the harbor while taking photos on the edge (probably not the safest idea).

 A little cabin for a small fishing business.

I believe this is seaweed that's growing on this road divider!

 The river flows down to the ocean, eventually... but not at this point of the bank!


 Mountain ridges.

Visiting the visitor's center.

Before driving back home, our family embarked to the visitor center, decorated with a bench in the front seated no other than Smokey the Bear. We peeked through telescopes and looked at the scaled model of mountain ranges in the area. On the outside, a small bay with mountains cloaked in the thickest patches of snow, thicker than the ones trailing on the side of the road to the town. The clouds dispersed, and some areas hidden by the mist uncovered on the ride home.

 Gazing through the window to look at mountains!

 Note: the wind was blowing around forty miles an hour in this photo.

 When a person ventures to another aspect of town and go further out, sticks line the ground.

Almost time to go.

The sky cleared up on the way home.

 These trees don't sprout any leaves or pines during any part of the year.

Driving back home!

I'm not entirely sure what this rock is made out of...

What was your favorite photo? Do you know of any tucked away towns where you live? Are there any weird natural formations in your area?

P.S. (Two) Big surprise on August 1st or 2nd? Maybe?

38 comments:

  1. I love these pictures. I always enjoy looking at pictures of other places it's like a mini trip into the world. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Vanessa! ^.^ It's pretty neat though-- once you've seen the photos and then actually visit the place, the experience is often gen times more memorable, if not better!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  2. So beautiful. Reminds me of Northern New England :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit Northern New England! Sadly, I'm not from that area-- but I'd love to go and see all of the autumnal leaves that tumble softly to the cloud someday. I heard it's very beautiful to watch!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  3. Lovely pictures! It looks like you had a great time! :)

    www.letmecrossover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty great time-- the rain couldn't damper my family's mood! Thank you for stopping by, Michele!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  4. Amazing photos! I absolutely love the idea of going through a tunnel that long, but at the same time, I get claustrophobic very easily. Fog is the best. It's so beautiful and peaceful. In a town I used to live in there were little library/book exchanges everywhere! It was such a cool thing to have.

    ~ Pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tunnel definitely has a long kind of cave mining vibe to it, but I can see what you mean about claustrophobia-- it gets pretty tight! I love fog, too. There was one year we had fog every fall and winter, but it hasn't happened in over five years!

      BOOK EXCHANGES ARE SO ADORABLE. I'm jealous you used to live in a town with a ton of them. There aren't many around here, as the residential areas are dispersed and far out separated, but they are by far the neatest small town vibe things I've ever stumbled across.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  5. This is so beautiful! My favorite was the tunnel pic, i love how you captured that aspect so well. Genius! :)
    You should really write travel articles for magazines Abby, maybe sometime in the future ;) You really give off that wanderlust vibe...I'm starting to get itchy on the couch :P

    Anna - www.worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tunnel pic is one of my favorites too! Originally I kind of disliked the photo, but it's off-focus grew on me. ^.^

      I'd love to write travel articles, but probably as a guest contributor. I have to work on my day job as well as write my novels, but don't worry-- even when I'm all grown up (I'm just shuddering thinking about it) I'll still travel to places, maybe even make towns I visit super appealing, quirks and all. :P But you HAVE to travel, Anna. Traveling just makes everything better (it's also super good for writing inspiration, just saying....). xD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos, as always! My favourite photo has to be either the on of the little book trade shelf or the cabin.
    - Fifi
    happyfionacoyneday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fifi! I honestly wished my family peeled a bit more into each shop-- even though the cabin is (most likely) a fishing business, it still has that warm cabin vibe that makes one feel at home. ^.^

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  7. Oh, these are gorgeous pictures, Abigail! You really are talented at photography. :) I love the one captioned "The air reeked of fish!" The ships and water are really beautiful. And I also loved the fog! It makes it look so mysterious and eery but also pretty. :P This place reminds me a bit of where we went in Canada!

    may @ forever and everly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MAY. Oh my gosh, you flatter me-- I'd love to improve more of my photography, honestly, but I haven't gotten the time nor skill to do a ton of post-processing (aka editing) my photos super lengthy. :P That's actually the boat where the kids ended up tying down the knots in the sides of the boat!

      Huh, I guess where you visited in Canada and my state have a lot in common! :D

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  8. AHHHH I always love your photos!! They always make me want to visit the places you choose, and they're so absorbing and atmospheric. Great photography :) You've really captured what I imagine the mood must have been.

    It looks like a lovely place. Unfortunately there aren't many interesting, hidden away towns where I live, but I'd love to visit more! I'd get so much writing inspiration from them :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't state exactly where I live or the place (the names of everything here are so distinct because of the rich history and culture) but if you ever have a chance to visit some place that has some wilderness as well as a good balance between seasons despite what the stereotypes say, you just have to!

      Even if there aren't any small towns nearby where you live, Amy, surely there must be some areas where you live where it's simply just lovely. I do agree that traveling does bring in a lot of great writing inspirations! It still boggles my mind I've been to a city with a rather flashy reputation, a national park starkily contrasting the small town's vibe and how much those three have influenced future scenes in a small amount of time...

      Which reminds me, you need to post more about your writing, Amy! I know book blogging is your niche, but I'd love to read snippets. <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous!! It looks like a lovely trip. Also now I am EXTREMELY curious about what the surprise is. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed lovely. The surprise comes in two parts-- one of them is something I've done in the past coming back up again and another is something fun for the blogging community to do. xD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  10. Hi Abby! Just wanted to let you know that I’ve sent out an email to all the participants of The Scribbler's Challenge with more details on it. Let me know ASAP if you didn’t receive the email! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, May! I received the email-- I'll just need to reply, which I'll do after replying to comments! Thank you for giving me the head's up!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  11. That surely looks like an awesome and cool town. It's like in the movies. I like the view of the mountain, so wonderful! :)

    Homed: Life in Sugar & Spice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish more movies could be filmed here, but because of expenses it just doesn't work out. The mountain is just magnificent, isn't it?

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  12. WOAAA ITS SO PRETTY! It sounds like you had fun! (also your photos are all so. pretty.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT IT'S JUST GORGEOUS. You're the sweets, Hanne. ^.^

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  13. This looks like such a lovely adventure! Your photos are gorgeous. I've always wanted to find one of those book-trade shelves. They're such a fantastic idea. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace Anne! <3 If I ever become a published author, I would like to dedicate some of the money to building more book-trading shelves, because they're so important for spreading the love of reading!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  14. It looks like you had so much fun! The photos are so pretty.

    Nabila | Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I'm actually heading out to go travel to another place tomorrow-- I don't think I'll have any Internet access, but I'll be able to post about it once I get back!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  15. IT ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE A POKEMON TOWN! Your brother and I think alike. :') I love hearing about your adventures, and your photos are always so immersive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you think it's like a Pokémon town-- I literally went to another small town this past Sunday and Monday and it's different, I'm telling you! If this town was the one harbor town in Kanto than it's the one beachy town in Gold and Silver. xD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  16. Wow, that is some incredible scenery! It looks like a pretty area and quaint town. I'm glad you're getting to explore, and thanks for sharing with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit again-- especially on a sunny day! ^.^ Thank you, Jessica!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  17. WHOOOAA I am in love with this post and your gorgeous photos! What a magical place.. makes me want to visit! I've had a taste of the West Coast and now I want more!! Thanks for sharing these lovely views!
    xx
    steph
    strictlystephanie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should visit! It's quite a popular place for tourists, although the reason why is something I can't say. ^.^' And yes, the West Coast is irresistible, isn't it? I love all the beaches here, but surely both the Midwest and East Coast have their own unique charms.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  18. Beautiful! Big surprise? Ooh, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, a big surprise. >.< Can't wait for you to hear it, Gracie!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  19. Oh gosh it DOES look like a Pokemon town! Everything looks so pretty, like every shot could be a postcard. My favorite photo is the one with the red fishing shop. :) And it's so funny that the tunnel is only one-way! There's something deeply charming about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Emily! I know Pokémon Go died out at the end of 2016, but I wonder how the town's inhabitants reacted when playing the game-- I'm sure all the tourists getting off boats were ecstatic!

      It is weird that the tunnel is only one-way! But it's probably because building the tunnel twice as big wouldn't be safe-- the tunnel is big enough as it is, and making it bigger may not be safe, maybe??? I don't know. >.<

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah