12 July 2017

Karaoke Night: WIP Edition! (Ft. Awesome World Songs)


Karaoke is fun to do when you're with friends, but pinning your characters together for karaoke night is even better! That's right, Sunset from The Sunset Sky tagged me for the Character Karaoke tag! I'm taking a break from an unnamed steampunk novel I've been outlining to edit last year's novel, Hidden in the Shadows, so I can potentially draft the third draft of the sequel with more solid groundwork. Whoo! The rules are pretty simple: thank the person who nominated you, answer the questions, and pass the tag on.

Without any more announcements, let's go!
// We Only Have Forever (Quiet) by Lights and Motion. Okay, story time!* I encourage you to listen to this when you begin the second full paragraph of this question.

The quartet meet up because two of them are getting married and the other duo tagged along for moral support. Jack and Daniella are pretty ambivalent for their first dance song choice as their relationship to music is neutral at best. This doesn't go well with Christina, being the most imaginative of the four, and insists on finding a song for the two "perfectly capturing their relationship because it's just wrong to have a generic song," as long as it's okay between the two of them. Sam teases her for riling over their only aspect, which she rebuffs and reveals his secret enjoyment over wedding planning, although he denies this and claims, "I'm here for the two... and cake tasting."

Fast forward to wedding day. Jack intertwines his right hand with this partner's and feels her breath hitch as he stationed his other hand on her back. A slight bit of hesitancy twiddles behind her eyes. They took dance lessons to the first dance without the music (yes, because counting steps and timing it with music is the proper way of going about things), and all their trust relied their redheaded friend. More importantly, the entire crowd watched them with open eyes, unsure of what to expect. He gave a reassuring smile and shook his right hand– it will be okay–before leading them on the floor in first steps of the dance.

Christina made a wonderful choice. Their future laid in Daniella's eyes: laughter as they chased each other around the newly bought house with a slick of fresh paint. Laying on the floor, twitterpatted at some random joke. Bickering at everything and nothing. The gentle breathing of Daniella laying beside him, completely exhausted from the day and kissing between the area where her eyebrows knotted along a spectrum of emotions. The tears– oh, the tears, when they grieve and trials they endure. Rocking slowly, holding each other close and soothing both of their sobs, the ache. Slow dancing to vinyl in the living room on a rainy day.

In her eyes, he sees what was, what is, and what could be.

The dance ends. A more upbeat song, something cheesy like "(I've Had) The Time of My Life," plays. They both watch their friends dance along the floor eclectically. Daniella laughs at some moves on the dance floor when he takes her hand and squeezes. She returns in same, and both smile.

*While I do imagine my OTP getting together, I'm not sure if that's going to be the official concrete thing that will happen in the novels. People may break up or die. Who knows?
With the protagonists, not really. Perhaps one of them does receive an instrument that cannot be returned while hiding under an identity, but other than that, music doesn't really resonate with any of the protagonists fighting the evil forces. Sam is quiet great at playing the kazoo, but singing vocally, he's almost tone-deaf. I also see the two boys too busy trying to learn how to yodel in their free time but being mediocre.

Despite the characters not into music, parts of the world is heavily built on song. There is one group of people where I've created a musical system they use to communicate without sending messengers in times of turmoil (it helps save people and energy) while for another group, singing is synonymous to emotion and cultural songs are sung, with this kind of openness and rawness in their melodies.

The song I was referring to above (cultural song) is called "Ndikhokhele," and the first five seconds when the choir swells to sing together after the solo, it is SO GOOD. There was a studio version but I like this one better, partially because their voices sound good without the need for equipment.
Song choosing is a difficult process because the songs need to fit the characters, and not the other way around. The two songs shown today will be for my female leads, depicting their character arc transitions.


// Christina – "Between Oceans" by Nick Murray. Her moods ebb. On the outside, she is always smiling, but on the inside, she faces some serious battles. Whether it be a mental road block or another one her insecurities chewing away, this song portrays a strength and sorrow, present in the unified orchestra as it crescendos. Most importantly, it displays the power healing can have.

// Daniella – "Õhtul." Maybe I did sing this in my choir class and it appears like cheating, but the minute the introduction of the song happened, my mind screamed, "This is perfect for Daniella." The lyrics (roughly translated from Estonian) sing about a bird in the night, gently paddling away. It's a simply song tied to a character with intricacies, with its power come from the change in dynamic. Perhaps letting something go and taking in another is bittersweet...

There isn't just one song that encompasses all of these emotions, so is it okay if I choose an album? If someone had asked me the same question four years ago, my answer to this would not have changed. The How to Train Your Dragon soundtrack is by far one of the best musical scores to ever be made. 
Thank goodness for John Powell for making listeners feel like they're flying, fighting against epic forces, or bonding with one of the cutest animated characters ever to have been created. It's seldom I listen to music while writing, but if I'm in a need to get motivated, this is my one go-to album because it ranges almost everything. But, the songs from Ori and the Blind Forest (especially the first one of the soundtrack) come in a close second.
+ you!

What was your favorite song out of all the ones presented? Do you like using folk or traditional songs to inspire worldbuilding? Sometimes, do you go to events just for food (or CAKE)? How do you find songs for your novels? Expect beta reading for this novel soon, perhaps?

27 comments:

  1. This looks so fun!

    Hailey
    www.haileyhudson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I really hope to see your post soon, Hailey!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  2. Haha, this is such a fun tag! You need to talk more about your novel, honestly. I have heard of NONE of these songs (except for How To Drain Your Dragon) but they all look beautiful! That wedding scene/story you wrote is soooooo cute omg. <3 I don't use music for my novel??? No playlists or anything. I mean, I'd love to, but it's so haaaaard. XD AND BETAS FOR YOUR NOVEL???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very... quiet when it comes to talking about my novels. It's practically a Alice in Wonderland rabbit hole: once people start asking questions, it keeps going on and on because of how huge the world has to be.

      OH MY GOSH I cracked up so much over How to Drain Your Dragon-- I know it was a typo, but the first thing that I thought was Monsters Inc. and how they used laughing (and screaming) powered electricity. And YAAASSSS that wedding scene! I wanted to talk about my other two characters that aren't together, Christina and Sam, because their contrast in personality types just makes me so ecstatic to read and write about.

      I do understand how writing with music is hard-- I actually hardly writing with music either, only when I need it to help me get through. And yes, I'm serious about betas for my novel happening before school starting this year. That's something that really needs to happen, but right now, I need to stop making the last five chapters all in passive voice. MY CHARACTERS ARE STRONG AND ASSERTIVE! No need for the passive.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  3. Thus is really fun! I might attempt a tag like this at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you do, Faith! It's really fun to do-- it's a tag, but it has its own unique spin to it, because works in progress + music = AMAZING EPICNESS.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  4. I loved How To Train a Dragon!! Now I'm listening to the soundtrack because I totally forget about soundtracks during movies. :') I get listening to soundtracks when writing, though. Sometimes I go on Spotify purely for Phantom of the Opera or Lord of the Rings.

    Thanks for reminding me to do the tag soon. :') Might do it for A Bullet Through Crowns, though I'm not sure I'll be posting that anymore. But it looks really fun and kinda helps with the writing process, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just finishing up watching this one anime movie which was upper cutesy and simple, and I completely didn't realize music played in the background of scenes until I reworded it. I honestly don't remember much of Lord of the Ring's soundtrack, but I do remember a ton of Phantom of the Opera's (ft. me in my room trying to sing Christine Daae's high notes in the eponymous title song, keyword: TRYING without straining my vocal chords).

      Of course! I can't wait to see your answers (it does help with the writing process, specifically the world and character building elements) although I am bummed out a bit about that you won't be posting A Bullet Through Crowns, as I love reading each chapter. :'(

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  5. OKAY. So i followed the link you put on your post and I came back from reading your characters page. Wow wow wow. Did I tell you how much I love the four elements concept? If you ever need beta readers, I'm 100% in. I love how a dream spiralled into a novel series. That's pretty crazy right? Like the tv show RWBY - made when the creator woke up from a dream and simply said: red. White. Black. Yellow. Anyway, sorry for rambling, I got carried away by the awesome Pinterest boards and Jack (who gives me Zuko vibes)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OKAY. I haven't been on my Pinterest board actively since last month and kind of forget what I recently pinned, so I took also got lost in a labyrinth of 170 photos. xD

      Even before I got introduced to the four elements formally, I always associated things with them, because there was a thick pretty book in the library about zodiac signs I checked out in either first or second grade and I couldn't stop reading about it. You're also one of the five people I have down for beta reading-- I have another four I want to approach before opening it up to others.

      To be honest, I have yet to watch more of RWBY, but that's so neat that the show was also created just be the aspects of a dream! Also, while it does seem to have that kind of vibe, the books are more mature and contrast starkly to The Last Airbender and other kinds of classical elements based series, especially in the history of elemental manipulation, what they call it, the cultures and the conflict, although it really isn't apparent until later books since parts of the history is muddled (for a good reason).

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  6. Okay, so I am officially in love with Between Oceans. It's simply gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES LAURA!!! I agree. I simply adore how it grows and with the woman's voice just being added on to the second layer, it just creates the vulnerability and it just gives shivers and makes you be like, "YAY let's play it again!"

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Isn't it? xD Are you thinking about doing this sometime in the not-so-distant future, perhaps?

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  8. Your novel seems so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so, Jollygirl!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  9. Awesome tag! I have never thought of using songs to inspire my stories before, but seems like such a great idea!

    xx Bubbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bubbles! It seriously helps with world building so much; I love it!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  10. Ahhh, this is so cool and I can't wait to do this! :) The "How to Train Your Dragon" soundtrack is excellent. I also love anything from "Harry Potter" along the cinematic soundtrack lines. The new "Wonder Woman" theme is also freaking awesome and I'm mildly obsessed with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't wait to see your post, Kate! Ooh, true, all of the Harry Potter scores are superior. I love the two songs that play during the montage of the Inquisitorial Squad trying to catch the newly formed Order, and the song that plays when they're in the crystal ball room and the Death Eaters just started attacked the six characters. xD I still need to watch Wonder Women, agh!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  11. Such a nice blog!

    I followed your blog, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you checked out my book reviews blog at https://elsbookreviews.blogspot.ca/ and possibly give it a follow as well! Excited to read more of your posts!

    - El

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I'll check out your blog, El! Thanks for stopping by!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  12. This is so much fun Abby!
    I loved reading and THANK YOU FOR TAGGING ME. AHH this is like the BEST TAG EVER. (forgive me while I go flail in a corner because music + writing = TOO MUCH JOY) XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you're welcome, Anna! I can't wait to read your post on this (also, your contest is ending in two days-- HELP I STILL NEED TO WRITE SOMETHING FOR THE PROMPT AGHHHHHHHH). xD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      P.S. Music + writing = TOO MUCH JOY + snacking = EXTRA JOY!

      Delete
    2. It's ok! You can submit late, I don't mind! ;) Meanwhile I'll work on that post, it should be out soon. :)

      Ok, that last statement though...WAY too true. XDD

      Delete
  13. These were so cute! Had so much fun reading these, and love your blog! Just followed, can't wait to read more xo
    Abby - www.seafoaming.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! Your blog actually sounds pretty neat-- I actually want to see if I can submit something for Seaform. Thanks!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning