30 June 2017

The Grand Canyon






Our third official day in Vegas, my family got out of bed at four in the morning. The weariness of eight hours hustling in between airport terminals accompanied with two whole days basking in the heating sun held present in our eyes as we gathered our belongings and with the sense of sun protection holding us and headed out to meet the tour guide leading us to the Grand Canyon.

The Grand Canyon! Snippets of The Homework Machine Strikes Back by Dan Gutman rattled my mind as three traveling groups, consisting a large party of twelve, packed ourselves into a van and drowsily kept falling in and out of sleep to the chatter of the tour guide discussing the geography and the history of the national park and the two states, Nevada and Arizona. The history of exploration of the national park, the types of wildlife visible and the little fight about an abandoned iron mine we saw driving past were some of the things we learned about within four hours driving one way. Even during the drive, the terrain was so starkly different to wear I lived that I couldn't help but watch the cacti, the farmlands, the tiny communities with their perfect grass lawns in the middle of a desert.

All I could think while looking at the window were the descriptions from the book about the importance of filling up water and various signs about dying from dehydration, which was something that didn't come into vision when we took our hike. We didn't come across ancient Native treasure, like the book from my elementary years said, but we did see amazing sights.








There are several areas of the trip one can visit when heading towards the Grand Canyon, and we decided to visit the South Rim because of its known to have the best sights in terms of viewing the canyon without necessarily hiking inside.

The first thought I saw the moment we arrived was, "Wow." We were in the central gathering hub and to our right showed the canyon going miles and miles. In this area, there were bars outlining the edges to keep people from falling. We hadn't even entered into depths of the park yet the view just took our breaths away! The different layers and colors of the canyon acts as a time marker, as a way to detect when the rock formed. It was so hard to take photos of the canyon because taking photos doesn't do it justice; you'd have to be there with a full presence of mind to even comprehend this wonderful monument by nature.







In order to get to the various aspects of the park, our group had to take the bus. Sitting under a rest stop with numerous people and listening to several people in our group murmur how no cell phone reception entered the park just cemented even more this moment was happening. This was real, this was happening-- why anyone would like to get on there phone in a national park is beyond me, because hello, why would anyone want to look into a phone screen where there's something more exclusive in the moment that should be appreciated? Come on!











Our group started our trip at Hopi Point and started walking back to the Village, a feat that took over four hours! We ate our cold, Reuben sandwiches under the heat and kept under the trees for shade. While everyone watched the main road during the lunch break, I observed the strange contour of the trees while fading in and out of my parents' conversation with the tour guide about the contrast in lifestyles our home state and Nevada had with one another. Ants crawled out of tree cavities and holes, presumably made from woodpeckers. We kept our eyes peeled for California condors and relaxed back into our seats when we realized it was a hawk bird.






Our trip commenced, and we began trailing along the rim. Various rock structures held different nicknames: Crocodile. Battleship. The shades of the rock turned from a light tan down to a rich, earthy red. Besides looking into the canyon, we looked at the vegetation sprouting on the sidelines. Pines dripped from various trees. Cacti stood in solitude. We went around and smelled the sweet aromas and made sure not to prick ourselves from various edges.







Towards the end of our venture in the park, we walked along The Trail of Time, which pays tribute to the various layers of the canyon. The rock was underwater 10,000 years ago. Ten thousand years ago. I still can't wrap my mind around it. All I wanted to do was just stop and stare with my own two eyes and not through my camera, and this feeling drove with me all the way back to the city. I liked watching the sun dip and even enjoyed for once, seeing the smog disperse the light everywhere. Talks about the desert, the Joshua tree, sights to visit in Ottawa and New York City (two other places that my family's been to before), and the history of how Las Vegas turned into an entertainment city within a century filled the road back. I'm grateful that we live in a time where we can take take photos and record the things we see, but sometimes, it's better to just not record things and just to take everything in as it is in the moment.

Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon? Would you like to visit it? What's one thing you'd like to learn about the history of the area? What was your favorite photo?

p.s. Go and check out this blog post by my friend Jo who speaks truth.

30 comments:

  1. Sooo pretty!
    I've never been, but I hope to someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a must see, for sure. People need to see that there's beauty within the country-- we don't need to constantly travel to other countries all the time to see something starkily contrasting the environment we currently reside in.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  2. This was fun to read, I almost feel like if I'm seeing the trip :). I love traveling.
    You know, I really relate to the last point. Sometimes I just wish life was simpler and more raw, I wish we could really say what we meant instead of hiding behind what's weird and what's not. But then on that last point when I get home I do regret it if I don't take pictures...your pictures are so lovely! I love the splashes of color along with the more dull colors of the canyon. It makes for a pleasing contrast. I must say I love ALL of them :) but especially the closeups of the plants :). You are a really good photographer...can I ask what brand and model camera you use? Interested into investing in one at some time...

    Anna - www.worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love traveling, too. <3 It is pretty frustrating that all we do is hide behind what's weird-- I just want people to come out and say what they mean instead of rambling getting into all of these detours.

      Thank you! As for the camera I used for the photos, I used a Canon Rebel T5i, but don't be dissuaded by the power of point-and-shoots. I've used those for over three years in my blogging journey and, if known how to be used right, can be pretty powerful. I'd also suggest maybe even looking into mirrorless cameras-- while they are a newer trend, they aren't as bulky to carry around which is a bonus. xD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  3. This is so cool! I've always wanted to visit the Grand Canyon. It looks so vast and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It's like no other view ever seen. <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos, Abigail! I've always wanted to visit the Grand Canyon; it looks so beautiful. But I know my siblings would be very antsy throughout the trip. I am glad you enjoyed yourself though! Have a great weekend. <3

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car trips can get antsy. If you ever needed a way to get rid of the antsyness in a productive manner, I'd suggest playing the song "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers, which is super fun to belt out on car rides-- sometimes I sing it out loud while driving, since I don't listen to the radio as it gets distracting sometimes. Hope you have a great weekend too, Anna!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      P.S. I'm so ready for a new Stranger Things announcement gah <3

      Delete
  5. That's so awesome! I'd really love to go to the Grand Canyon someday. It looks beautiful.

    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you'll be able to go in the future!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  6. I've never been there, but I'm sure it'd be fun to! Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have tons of fun, trust me. Just be sure to bring a ton of water and sun screen (otherwise, you'll tan or burn, which isn't good)!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  7. Oh, wow! How gorgeous! God is amazing.
    I've never been to the Grand Canyon, but my friend used to live in Arizona so she's been there a couple times before.
    You're so lucky to get to go there. It sounds like you had a great time! :) Hopefully I'll have the chance to go someday!

    ~Lydia~ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is pretty amazing, indeed.

      I'd love to visit the other parts of Arizona, as we couldn't stop by any of the nearby cities, such as Phoenix. I really hope you do get the chance to go someday, Lydia, and blog about the experience-- I'd love to hear what you think of it once you've seen it close up. <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  8. Incredible! The Grand Canyon looks so vast and beautiful. As gorgeous as all the pictures were, my favorite had to be the one of the tree bark. It's so textured and unique! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's insane to think that the diameter of The Grand Canyon goes on for miles and miles! And ahh, yes, the tree photo! I adore its texture, too-- the appeal lies in its appearance though. Many trees do have deep lining engroves but they aren't as appealing to look at. xD

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  9. I've never been, but I hope to someday. It's breathtakingly beautiful! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. My favorite picture would probably have to be the one of the cactus with the lil yellow flower. I love cacti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you do go someday, Rebecca, be sure to share about it with the blogging world, perhaps? :D Cacti are so cute! Succulents are the baby cacti, and while they're cute, they don't emulate the tough exterior and the true grit that those in nature are forced to experience due to the extreme temperatures. It's such a vast contrast to the vegetation up here.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos! You've really captured the scope of the Grand Canyon. When I was younger I used to imagine the Grand Canyon as like a giant layered cake or rocky road. :') Not the best imagery but I could love to be able to be in the middle of it, whether it's desert or dessert. I can't imagine the serenity of just being there in the moment. I think you make a good point about not taking in everything through a lens, and seeing your pictures make me wonder what natural beauty isn't in this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my last post, you mentioned you traveled through the US-- did you ever stop by the Grand Canyon? I think your giant layered cake description does it justice (and is a pretty accurate description! Younger you is smart).

      No one can tell the difference between "desert" and "dessert," haha. xD Here's a rule of thumb I have for traveling-- on my way traveling to a certain place, I take as many photos as possible, but on the drive back, I try to put the camera away and take it all in. It's more memorable, the ride back. Beauty can sometimes be captured, but to see it in its full essence, it's got to be seen live (so to answer your last sentence, it's probably a lot of beauty that isn't captured by the lense).

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  11. Grand Canyon is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited! LOVE the photos!!

    Have a lovely day!

    xx Kris
    https://dreamingofpink.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome you've visited it before, Kris! Thank you, and I hope you have an amazing day as well!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  12. AHH THIS LOOKS SO LOVELY! I went there... last year? No, two years ago. Who knows. Sometime in my past, and it was fabulous. I'm always amazed that these creations exist and it's just so cool to see. o.o

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Times flies so fast, haha! I remember doing my internship two years ago and I still always believe it was last year. They are super cool to see and they're so good for novel inspiration, wouldn't you agree?

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  13. Great post, Abigail! Btw, you're invited to my blog party and to participate in my blogging project, if you'd like to! You can find all the details in my latest post. Hope to see you there!? I'd love you to get involved.

    Thanks!
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gracie! I saw that post several days ago-- I'm planning on participating, but I'm just so busy at the moment to join up, I'm afraid. I have to tend to my responsibilities volunteering; give me a few days!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  14. Great post, love love love the pics!! I've personally never been there but my family has been wanting to make the trip sometime.
    xoxo!!
    Sophia
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia! It's nice to hear from you again! Hey, if your family has been wanting to make the trip for some time, then that means it's in the works for potentially happening, which is good!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  15. Your photos are SO pretty!! I went a couple years ago, but we didn't really stay very long because it was the middle of winter and it was COLd and SLIPPERY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hanne! Gah! That really stinks that it was all cold and slippery, yuck! You need to try going there again when it's all nice and warm. ^.^

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning