21 May 2017

I'M A RISING SENIOR AND SCARED + Summer Collaboration


 I've been reading a ton of good books lately, especially ones about World War Two.

DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE BUN. This is hardly holding up by a ton of hairspray and twenty bobby pins.

The beginning of each conversation I have with my freshman English teacher always constitutes him peering his eyes at me in confusion and asking, "Are you a senior?"

I laugh and shake my head. Compared to the rest of the freshman, as the class consisted of students in all four grade levels, some level of maturity elicited this facade of being well-grounded when clearly my actions outsed me as a panicky freshman. The directions of the first paper assigned, a twenty page monologue encompassing Socrates, were misheard and came back finished the following day... when we had two weeks to work on understanding it. "Uh... no."

"Huh." He leans back in his swivel chair. "I thought you were."

Time hop several weeks in advance to two weeks crammed with enough busyness to make one irked by the workload, like what took place these past two weeks. AP tests shoved for their attention, and the afternoons following suit caused collapsation and sleep on my bed immediately after I came home, watching episodes of Glee, Downton Abbey, and Doctor Who.

 Children just bouncing around in their perfect buns are ADORABLE.

Besides Italian and Filipino food, Japanese ties for first.

On Saturday, I spent a wonderful day filled with a choir competition, dance recital, and volunteering at a silent auction in a fancy but (according to our town's urban legend) haunted hotel, all back-to-back. The entire ordeal was rather fun! I assisted children with their makeup, snuck around the local college campus music rooms with our mini ensemble and teachers, where some of the rooms may or may not have been off-limits. Also, we encountered some local birds, as the silent auction was meant to fundraise for a new facility and explored the basement area of the hotel, scented chlorine due to the athletic rooms and vegetarian pizza. Mother's Day passed.

Monday held a whirl of Trouble rounds as all thirty-nine honor marshals waited in the VIP room, bathing in the heat of stage lights and the mingling energy of charade movements, and it wasn't until then that it hit me: my senior year is coming right up. The only words my mind said is,

"What in SHISH KEBABS. I am almost an adult*."

 Funny story about the snowy owl! Almost everyone arrived for the reception and I tidied up the sign in desk. This lady stood for a good hour and a half discussing information about the snowy owl on a mat meant to collect the poop in case the owl decided, "I'm going to defecate right now!" As I was ready to leave into the dining hall, she stepped off the mat to greet her boyfriend, and BAM! The poop fell all over the uncovered floor tiles. She and her boyfriend panicked until he decided to get the welcome sign... and have the stand on top of where the owl did his thing.

I'm not good at Trouble. I almost got in "Trouble" in my first period for screaming when my only piece on the board get sent back home.

*Adult means not really adult since I'll still be underage after graduating and entering my freshman term, but still that means the time when late-blooming coffee lovers become coffee-lovers.

The weight of senior year hanging in balance terrifies me because everyone expects all the seniors to have their life in order when the tendrils of priorities, some beneficial and others a tiny bit detrimental, when in actuality, we don't have everything in check in an Excel sheet sat next to old phone photos. I wish more people would know that we don't need to have everything perfectly planned out or following the traditional set out blueprint of life after high school, because our plans will get altered somehow by numerous aspects and we need to be able to grow and adapt.

Anyways, no need to get sappy. I have one more year! At the same time, I don't want tunnel vision, either. I want to enjoy the people currently in company, and nature. Nature and the mountains is another aspect I'm going to incredibly miss. My family says nature is the same everywhere, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. There was a senior who was literally my twin (!) for being incredibly into writing (!!) and having the same values that I have (!!!) that I was discussing the environment with, since both of us love nature, and she agreed when I said, "By commenting that every tree is the same, you are undermining the tree's individualism, which is not okay!"

Much going to happen over summer... after school gets out in less than three days!

When are you getting out of school? Juniors, what are your thoughts about becoming rising seniors? Have any of you gone to graduation? Seniors, how's life going finishing school?

GUYS I'm looking for people to collaborate over the summer! I really work with bloggers, particularly those who are new to my blog... if you're interested, comment below. I'll also be sending out messages to a couple of you your way...

16 comments:

  1. I have also been reading a bunch of stuff on world war two lately. I love reading historical fiction during that time period although I'm not sure why. Also I would absolutely love to collab with you! My email is nabilaeve@gmail.com and my blog is hottowncoolgirl.blogspot.com.

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep! I still need to get back to you about the second meal I'm doing! And I feel like the appeal about World War II is the entire balance between the light and the dark of the time period-- it's one of those time periods where everything is amidst chaos but amazing things happened and it just reflects how we are in situation, both the good and the bad, our humanity.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  2. I am not good at trouble either haha. Enjoy your summer off before starting your senior year! It'll be a fun year so try not to be too nervous!
    courtneylivin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Courtney! I'll try to enjoy this summer before senior year happens.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  3. Be jealous I am so amazing at making buns. I have one in my hair right now that I just tied up with no hair spray or bobby pins. It takes years to learn dear (;
    Mark me down to collaborate. Ill dm you on insta about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT. IS. GOALS. I am very jealous! I think the other part of it is that my hair is ridiculously short, if compared to how my hair was pre-2016-- it was roughly five inches longer than it currently is.

      I still need to get back to you about our collaboration, ack!

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  4. It's so crazy to think that we're going to be seniors. That still blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. I got a phone call from a prospective college I'm looking into and I don't know what scared me so much: phone call anxiety or going off to the university. O.O

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  5. You sound like you're rocking this rising senior thing. I'm entirely sure I've said it before, but I can't stop myself from saying it again- I love the way you write. I love the words you use. I love how you make it feel almost like I'm sitting across from you in real life, listening to you. And definitely agreeing with you when it comes to your views on nature.

    -T
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I'm not at all relaxed or rocking this rising senior thing-- there are over one hundred things to do and I'm not ready for long stressful nights. It would be so amazing to be able to talk to one another in person while on a hike or something! That would be fun.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  6. Nice post! I am going into my senior year in September, well the Irish version, and it is going to be so stressful but I try not to think about it. I would love to collab with you some time.

    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ró! I wish you luck for "your" senior year! And yay, I'm so happy that you want to do a collab with me! Give me a week to brainstorm potential ideas and I'll run them down with you when I can.

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  7. Senior year sounds like it's going to be so stressful! I hope it all goes well for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it won't be stressful. >.<

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete
  8. I loved reading this post, Abby! Sounds like life has been busy for you lately :) I have a couple years till I graduate, but that doesn't mean it's not on my mind a lot. You'll do fabulous ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you're younger than me! I always thought you were around the same again, but that's okay-- that means there's a definite sense of maturity and understanding and trust me, there is a good portion of people I interact with in real life that don't have that balance yet. And I really hope so. <3

      xoxo Abigail Lennah

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning