20 January 2017

Brown Eyes, Brown Eyes



Brown eyes, brown eyes—actually, yours are gray.

The vestige of laughter wore off any traces of fatigue in the dimly lit classroom. Loose bonds knotted from the previous day's testing bound this small triplet in the corner together. Nothing, sans the chatter of the classroom detracted my attention from delight of the conversation. From the side of corner of my eye, you weaved your way past the musicians blocking off the entrance. An array of pink, brown, and turquoise flank the desktop. Thud. Our trio, still enraged over our individual, yet equally fastidious, essay prompts, roared over our meek responses.

From the corner of my eye, something caught my attention. Future plans were touched upon during our trio's hour-long wait drenched as sprawled figures on the floor, sure, but all recollection of such a jovial time shut under lock and key. Maybe it was the good mood of the morning or my sleepiness, but when I glanced into your expression, I saw you don the exact expression I wore nearly three years ago where our roles were reversed.

I inhaled sharply. Fear, with a pin of uncertainty rung your eyes, your lips, your snarky remarks silent. For the first time in a while, my eyes directly contacted with another's, and my body ran cold, even as our teacher tapped at us to look to the whiteboard.

Our minds cower away and filter our perceptions to what we wish to see, yet as clear as day, the first day of growing up flared in my mind. There was you, wearing a pink flowing shirt with skin as tan as the coconut oils of Hawaii. I, vesting a gray shirt resting snugly on my shoulders. Us, both cackling away at a sanitizer joke. This was before the ranking, before intellect was prioritized over friendships, before the underlying scintillating, scathing scorn strained our ties for they had chosen you, before our positions into moving forward in the next step had us locked with little leeway in movement.

Both of trajectories were both for success, but yours was a straight path, while mine zigzagged its way, straining to grasp the top. Over the years, we sat across the table, indifferent to the individual sitting across from us. Genetic makeup may dictate otherwise, but our struggles mirrored each other as if placed on opposite sides of a mirror.

The days flow murky as we swam (you could swim—you were a fish) in the sea of school. Locks clicked lightly into place. Colorful lunch boxes slapped the hallways to and fro. Your snappy comebacks stood as a usual medium for sleepy mornings in the classroom. Life dictated for years to us to eschew, separating into our respective groups of friends. Yet somehow, conversations sprung from our parched mouths, sometimes one-sided on both ends, but still a conversation. "The test was hard." "Oh, she said..." Banality blocked the roads, and we clawed our way past, nails bleeding and functions etched in our hands.

Time had not been good to us. From hindsight, your sass did not stand on par with my earnestness. Sentimentality? A foreign word not spelled out in your nearly impervious armor. We hardly know each other! We hardly know the other's personalities or eye color!

Our minds cower and filter a perception we wish to see, but now? It is time to step out and meet you in the day's light, and I honestly cannot wait.

--
p.s. A small thought piece, with some elements of fiction & nonfiction weaved in. Which parts are which, though, is up to you to decipher. Something I wrote last night before panicking over Declamation forms. Check out my Guestbook & Survey, anyone?

17 comments:

  1. This was so so beautiful. I honestly just love it. Also, do you still do blog designs? It would be truly amazing if you could do mine!

    - Edie
    thenjbc.blogspot.com (previously minty perfections)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Edie. <3 I'm glad you liked it. Yes, I still do blog designs, except sometimes, my busyness levels just scurry far off too much for me to catch up and there will be weeks where I simply won't have time to log onto my laptop for anything besides school related stuff, and one of those weeks is next week. If you're able to wait another two weeks, I'll see what I can do. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. This was written so well! You're such a talented writer!
    I loved reading it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Jollygirl! <3 This piece is very important to me, because it is supposed to be symbolic of certain things that are ongoing in my life so far. It's very hopeful, which is why I like it so much.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Grace Anne, you get me. <3 <3 <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. Wonderful writing! I love it so much! I will go check out your guestbook + survey :)

    xx Bubbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! I know it's been past the three day limit I was supposed to reply to your comment on the guestbook page-- gosh, I'm failing at this task of replying so far. I saw your response on the survey-- thank you so much!!! I still need to reply to you about bullet journaling... I'm so behind.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Very vivid take on mundane school life! "Banality blocked the roads, and we clawed our way past, nails bleeding and functions etched in our hands." Incredible! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought that school is quite mundane, and by some aspects, it is. But just by looking through all of the exchanges between different people... yeah, there's something stronger there than just the ordinary. I'm kind of in between when it comes to the high school side of things: I think it's an incredible experience but also think that certain aspects are more hyped up than they actually are.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. this is gorgeous wow. im in awe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey, my heart is just <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. you write like a master <3 it is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This piece is so important to me. I've said that before. But in order to write something that pulls emotion, it's got to pull emotion from yourself.

      This is one of the more hard hitting pieces ever written. Some of the things won't make sense (brown, pink, and turquoise? A fish) but that's also the fun in writing this piece, too-- it's up for translation. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. oooooh I love this and all of the delicious language in it. Simply lovely, and I can say I totally feel your emotions in this piece <3
    Thanks for sharing!!
    <3,
    steph
    strictlystephanie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie! I'm so happy to hear that emotions tugged at you-- when writers receive feedback from stuff like emotions (aka a HUGE indicator in the writing world), that means we're probably doing something right, and I'm super glad that the emotions pulled.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. Girl, your writing skills are seriously beyond amazing. I love this piece! <3
    xo,
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning