31 August 2016

The First Issue of Paper Comets

Hi! I am extremely excited to introduce to you all a collaborative project that I have been working on for the past several months: the zine, Paper Comets!



The history about Paper Comets and Freckled Minds is this: Ava and I rarely ever interacted in the blogging world, except for the occasional comments every once in awhile. One lazy summer day, the idea of creating a yearbook anthology sort of thing for the 2016 blogging community strolled into my mind. On the day that I was about ready to contact Ava, known for her crazy mad skills in artistic drawing, I received a message from her asking if I would be willing to contribute to her zine.

Great minds think alike, huh?

Both of us decided to collaborate to create a creative hub community, known as Freckled Minds, and since both of us each wanted to do our own little thing, we both created our own zines: hers is Sacred Zine Club (publish date to be determined), focused more towards the visual arts aspect, while I would mainly overlook Paper Comets, the zine focused more towards the word-writing aspect and the idea of artistic vision.

For Paper Comets, roughly fifteen bloggers gathered together to share their artistic talents, and now, we are ready to reveal the final product that has been in the works for over fifteen months! 
The bloggers (besides the founders) who contributed are: HannahAnna, Ava, Bethan, Rose, MackenzieAbbie, Rachel, Sophia, Grace, and Autumn.

So many good conversations came from collaborating on this project: Albion, pizza, Brit-ish accents-- these are things that would not make much sense to those who weren't involved in the project. Even those who had to drop out of working on the zine will understand some of these references. It's such a great community-- I am blessed to be working with all my blogging friends.



Our theme for our first issue was words: words that we felt were important to us.

Tell us what you all think! We're constantly looking for contributors, both in the zine and the Freckled Minds site (which, cool fact: I coded and designed), so if you are a female creative mind over the age of fourteen, looking for a platform to cultivate your personal artistic voice, this is a platform that can potentially bring you out to a larger audience! We're expanding out to more electronic mediums: songwriting and film making are a few to name.

If you wouldn't mind, could you possibly provide us feedback using the form below? And if you would like to contribute, visit the link here.



We hope you enjoy the first issue of Paper Comets (and possibly we will see you contribute soon)!

P.S. Kenzie was here, and she likes turtles. 

23 comments:

  1. I MADE IT!

    (brb, I'll be back to comment.)

    xx Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU DID! And it's super cool that you and Rosie actually ended up side-by-side-- even the alphabet cannot separate you two from one another. Also, thank you so much for helping me out with the post-- and OH MY SHISH KEBABS, I JUST SAW THAT YOU SAID YOU LIKE TURTLES. xDDD YAAAAASSSS.

      I wonder if they're Albion's mascot? But then, they're green. Let me check to see what other animals are out there. *goes and checks the internet* Oh my gosh, there are white sea turtles and that's literally the coolest thing I've heard today, tied with the magazine launching!!! Ahhh!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
    2. Isn't it astonishing? Told you we're the same person. ;)

      White sea turtles?! Uh... YES PLEASE. <3

      I'm so proud of this magazine. Thank you so much for allowing me to be part of it. You and Ava did a splendid job. We wouldn't have been able to do it without you. :)

      xx Mackenzie

      Delete
    3. Shhh, don't say we're the same person! Rosie's going to find out really soon, & she's your soul twin sister xD

      I see that Albion put sea turtles as his campaign's animal, yes! This has been a remarkable achievement in his presidential campaign. It's going to go in the history books for sure, and there won't just be a mention in the history books, no: he will literally have a musical as success as Hamilton in his name.

      Okay so I saw a comment that you and Grace commented on your post about Paper Comets-- pfftt, it's fun chatting with you! Even though notification pings get annoying after awhile. We had an idea, but it's really you and everyone else who helped the dream come to life. People make the ideas happen, not just single individuals, but people. And that's pretty cool.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. This sounds awesome! I'll be sure to check it out.

    (ps - I tagged you for the Wisteria Writer's Tag)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunset, if you're over the age of fourteen, you should seriously consider joining as a contributor for the next issue! We're always looking for contributors to collaborate with-- it would be a great opportunity!

      xoxo Morning

      P.S. YAY WRITER'S TAG, FINALLY! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. *shares ice cream* I usually don't do tags, but lately I have been considering only doing writer's tags, as a, I don't have that many short stories that are ready for publication on the blog, and b, there is an IMMENSE need for me to start up with writing posts again. It's been FOREVER. Yell at me in a week if I haven't started drafting the post yet.

      Delete
  3. THIS IS SO GOOD i LOVE the graphics and all of the beautiful writing is so nice. Plus, all my favorite bloggers in it.

    *cries for one million years* sometimes I forget that I'm twelve years old so I went to fill out the contributor form and then I realized we had to be 14+. *

    BUT I STILL LOVED IT. can't wait for the next one <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY NOOR I'M SO GLAD THAT YOU LOVE IT GRAPHICS AND ALL! And yes, there are so many wonderful bloggers who collaborated. It's so fun to see them all meet each other and work together (I kid you not, there are so many inside jokes that to try to explain them to anyone else would be a complete mess). Sometimes, I feel a divide in the blogging community, where older bloggers tend to be in their own little cliques where as the younger bloggers, both in the age and blogging career sense, tend to be more, "HI LET'S BE FRIENDS AND SHARE POPCORN!!!" That's partially a goal I want to try to accomplish with Paper Comets and Freckled Minds, to let those cliques just melt away.

      *cries with you* I'm so sorry that you're not able to contribute until your fourteen! Actually, that's technically not entirely true-- we do allow some younger bloggers to contribute to Freckled Minds, but it's on a case-by-case basis and you'd have to be interviewed by either Ava, myself, or Nicole (a different person that Nicole Rose). IT'D BE SUPER COOL IF YOU COULD COLLAB THOUGH.

      I can't wait for the next one either! Sadly... I have no idea what the theme for the next one is going to be, at the moment-- we're taking a short break, since the zine has what both Ava and I have been working on straight for the past three months.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
    2. I'D LOVE TO BE INTERVIEWED, where do I sign up. :') ah inside jokes, how I long for a blogging friendship like this

      And yeah, i get it, I've seen the cliques and always felt a little sad, but learned that I just have to be a little more outgoing and approach people.

      Delete
    3. Weird, that should be the contributor form up there... I honestly cannot tell whether or not it's up there because my page reloads whenever I scroll up xO <--- That's a face.

      Hmm, good point! Actually, you just gave me an idea for something... I'll tell you more about it later, when I actually am able to coherently piece everything about it together.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. This is so awesome! I've played with the thought of creating a zine, but I just don't know if I have it in me. So much respect for what you are doing here, and how well you pulled it off. I can't wait to see how this plays out, and I will definitely consider submitting.

    Ella ~ Simply Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just one of the best? Oh, that's super cool that you also thought about creating a zine! Twinning high five! *high fives* I'm super excited to see you interested in contributing, yay! Also, I tip my hat to you-- I read your post about intersectional feminism and let me tell you that it is so important for people to be informed about what that is. Also, like you, I happened to learn about the term a year ago; Instagram went excessively crazy about Rowan Blanchard's essay on the topic. I wonder if that's where you also found out about it!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Nabila! ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Clara, you should consider contributing! You and your B&W photography are goals, and it'd be fun to have you around working with fifteen other bloggers or so!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. So proud of this. Thank you so much for letting me be a part of it, Morning <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Grace. <3 <3 <3 Literally, you were one of the first people who popped into my mind when Ava asked who we were going to ask to collab for the zine.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. This is so creative and beautiful and amazing and stunning and I'm running out of adjectives. I really want to collaborate when I turn 14!

    - Edie
    mintyperfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd love to have you collaborate with us when you're 14, Edie! It will be worth the wait, I assure you. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. I'm in love with this zine. The pastels, the meaningful words stretched on the pages. You guys did a fantastic job, I can tell you put your hearts and souls into this. I'm only on the cusp of fourteen right now (sob) but I can't wait to see what more comes out of this. You're all so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sobs even harder* It's going to be so much fun when you turn fourteen, I swear! You deserve to be collaborating with us right now! :'(

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. THIS IS SO COOL! I'm looking forward to reading it! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah