16 August 2016

Ideals Versus Expectations

Photo credits to my brother.

Teenagehood is a prominent time where ideals are challenged by expectations set on you. Peer pressure is such a hard barrier to succumb under. Think of any movie you may have watched growing up as an adolescent, or just think about nearly any movie you watched as a kid. High School Musical, How to Train Your Dragon, The Princess Diaries (now that's a major throwback) are examples. Often , the ultimate decision comes down to us. Unless a person makes a public show of it, their inward battle of consciousness between these two feuding sides will be private in the confines of their mind.

For me, ideals and beliefs are things that I stand heavily by, not easily breaking down or giving in defending them. Harmony is an aspect I seek in many social relationships, but this doesn't waver my support to these ideals. My life is dictated by them-- this is why I'm such a terrible liar, when people ask me to tell the truth. A bickering conscious yells in my mind all the time. Sometimes, I admit, several things that I believe don't have their mindset in the right place, and others would have to correct me, which then, I'll move aside, despite my sensitivity to criticism. When people ask me to go to more parties or stop socializing only with books or even asking me to get my eyebrows waxed, which was what I was asked today, all of these requests I turned down. They aren't me. They're not something that I personally comfortable with.

Over the past several months, so many events have gone up and have challenged my beliefs many times before. Luckily, I have friends that will have ideals and values that harmonize close to mine, but still. This may not always be the case. I'm kind of sluggish about the idea heading back to school next Monday, but graduation is creeping up closer than anyone thinks will appear. Everyone from my town will soon disperse themselves to various high education schools and soon will just start working. The temptations that once surround have the chance of adding up the older you get. People saying to stay true to yourself so much that it's nearly becomes contrite.

Relationships are also tested. Friends slowly drift apart, new friends pop in for a year before being splintered away once again. This past school year, the one which ended in May, marked as the top year where I've gotten into the most heated debates and arguments which luckily, we were able to overcome most of them. Many people don't have that opportunity. A lot of people don't notice, but over half of my friends have either moved away or are becoming exchange students this upcoming school year. This is the time, your teenage years, when your support system will help you out from time to time, but they can only do so much. Ultimately, you make the final call.

How are you to cope in a world that asks you to slowly become something that you simply don't want yourself to be?

If you have free time and you feel everything just crashing on top of you, just stop what you're doing and calm down. Get off your phone. Clear your thoughts. Do you know that period before bed a lot of you experience where you're trying to fall asleep but you're too busy contemplating about the aspects of your life? Try to enter that state. Your mind is practically your own sanctuary, your own space, and that is the time to sort through all the voices and cleanup which ones you want to keep and which ones you want just to stay. My family always wonders why I spend so much time locked up in my room, and this is half of the reason. Now, this is the other.

One of the things that I learned in high school is the importance of self-care, not in the physical aspect, but in the mental and social aspects of it. You're constantly being tossed and torn apart as if a miniature, athletic coach version of you sat on your right shoulder, telling you everything you need to do, and a slobbish, pizza chilling version of you is telling you to take everything slow. You do not need to please everyone, but the one person you do need to ultimately please is yourself. Read, write, eat food. Do what comforts you. Over the past summer I've been working on my novel. If you know anything about novel writing, it's can be a draining process in all aspects. Every day though, I've been making sure to keep in touch with the Olympics (which I may be doing a post about) because they are my life and have been an obsession ever since Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games came out in 2008 on the Nintendo DS (the original one, obviously). I've also been snail mailing several people.

Blogging is one of my past times, and it still is. While it hasn't been a walk in the park for me these past several months, several recap posts I've written these past few months recaps everything I've done, and to some degree, they've been one of most exciting highlights of my year. I've gotten to play softball and meet people who studied on the opposite side of the building. I interacted with fifty different on weekdays for rehearsals. I accidentally spilled glue all over the cabinet and listen to the library coordinators talking about gender-bent Twilight. These events were all tiring, but they're all worth it, and most importantly, they all fall under a range where unrealistic expectations (which I'm also not comfortable with) aren't set and my values can thrive.

I'm not ready for this school year to start... but if I'm going to have to get through this, my beliefs need to be firmly planted, and every once in awhile, I just need to relax and calm down. Hopefully, readers, you all can remember and do the same, as well.

17 comments:

  1. This is a great post Morning, also exactly what I needed right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this helped you out. <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful thing to post before he school year. To write where you stand is a wonderful idea that more of us should do. You will have a good senior year ive been telling everyone to enjoy becuase it goes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa! I'm actually going to be a junior this year, but I am taking up on your advice to enjoy it while it lasts. Hope your first year at college (I stumbled upon that in one of your previous posts) goes well for you!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Good luck to you, Morning! I go back soon as well.
    I definitely relate to this - I'm extremely shy and have a hard time making friends, so it's often tempting to change myself to make friends with the people I'd like to be friends with. I say to myself, "Well, you're still the same on the inside, so it doesn't really matter! The reason you want to be friends with these people is because you think they'd like the real you, so when you start being more real with them they won't feel fooled." However, that's an extremely unhealthy mindset. I've been having some mental issues related to one of my friend groups of late, so I hope I can get that cleared up before the stress of the school year is added on as well.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ellie! It's such a hard mindset to simply resist, going with the flow of your friends-- it's always important to stay clear to what you feel comfortable. Hopefully the situation you're facing goes well! I'll pray for you.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. Good luck, Morning!
    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jordy! Love your sfashion sense as shown in Rachel's post-- white converse and rip jeans are like THE perfect combo!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. This is such a great way to start off the school year. This past semester was definitely the roughest for me as well, as far as arguments are concerned. But sometimes I think people are removed from your life for a reason, so I'm trying to trust that.

    I'm always amazed by how eloquent you are, Morning. I love your posts.<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with all of those argumentative troubles, as well! I do agree somewhat with your mindset of people leaving and arriving for a reason-- when one of my best friends moved at the end of middle school, I was crushed, but more people flooded in and just helped me grow in a way that may not have happened if said person stayed.

      Aww, thanks, m'dear. You're the best. <3 <3 <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. Yes, it is important to know where you stand, and not change yourself to suit the whims of others.. Good on you for choosing to go against the flow.

    I hope the school year goes well for you - all the best! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! Same to you, as well!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. I love what you said about "my beliefs need to be firmly planted." YES YES YES. I've been thinking about that a lot lately, and I've realized that going into another semester I just need to really focus on what's important and not look to the left and right. And when I do that and put my focus on God, that things will be a lot easier for me. This post was really inspirational, Morning <3

    Let's make this an awesome school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention God-- I think I may actually do a post about religion, or touch about it, because I am a Christian, but unlike so many other blogs, I never really touch on talking about religion. Our beliefs need to be firmly planted, not just in our values, but in God as well.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. This was such a beautifully refreshing post to read, Morning. :) ALSO HAHA I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR BLOG FOR EXACTLY TEN SECONDS SORRY ABOUT THAT. *muchas hugs and waffles in compensation*

    "Do you know that period before bed a lot of you experience where you're trying to fall asleep but you're too busy contemplating about the aspects of your life?" << boy do I know that feeling WAY TOO WELL. x) Like it can get sooo exhausting after a while. I also love the lazy pizza vs coach analogy *closes eyes and nods* I FEEL THAT SO HARD.

    Can't wait to chat later! ;) You're going awesome places, girl. <3

    >><<
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Abbiee!!! I nearly forgot to do this this morning, but I followed your blog via GFC and Bloglovin. *scarfs down waffles and reciprocates hug tighter*

      WHOA OKAY THERE'S A USEAGE OF ITALICS like that is legit the volleys thing I've ran across for Blogger comments ever since learning about inserting links. TEACH ME YOUR WAYS. Funny story-- I'm actually getting to turn in for the night, but I know after I reply to this comment I'm 95% most likely going to be contemplating about life.

      Agh, yay! Same to you, Abbiee! You'll definitely go far with your music-- you're definitely a Renissance woman, which are some of the coolest people out there. Also, congrats on the openin of Burning Youth!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. oh gosh i am absolutely so delighted i found your blog today because this was beautiful. honestly, I really hope this year is an amazing one for you and it will be hard seeing your friends go off and be having adventures that don't include you but it will be okay. you have to trust that you're all doing what is best for each of you.

    Good luck on Monday, I'm sure you'll smash it girl x

    Love,

    Anne // www.aportraitofyouth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning