26 July 2016

To Those Who Have Gone.




To those who have gone,

The last time I saw you, you were perched up in your little reading nook on the library staircase. This was an odd location to find you in during the waning minutes of the night, but the librarians cherished you as one of their own, and had let you in. Accommodating you was your blue bed comforter, which you had decided to haul five minutes before your mother's automated coffee machine sprung to life in the morning (5:43am) and your fuzzy monkey socks, gray due to age yet a memento you wouldn't dare throw out. The difference between our first and last encounters was that your stature was drained of all the youthfulness that you once carried.

There comes a time in everyone's life where we encounter friction brought between our own wants and society's demands. Words such as "more" and "perfect" slowly weave themselves through the crevices of our minds, meandering through our thoughts and actions. This battle of mentality is one we cannot evade. The fight becomes draining: the little things which you had once enjoyed creating now become the monsters that haunt you at night. You clung onto your thread, clawing ferociously at the monsters, and slowly, their loud piercing screams of pain were overpowered by your own.

Scars were visible on your cheekbones, and your eyes were streaked red from the hours of crying. You bundled up in the comforter as a ball, your socks sticking out, wiggling ever so slightly, as your cried, "I can't do this anymore." I sat there, hugging you, knowing that this was for the best-- saying goodbye does not hurt as much as watching you slowly desecrate into dust specks of who you used to be.

It has been years since I last saw you. You're still traveling around the world, scattering your essence in everything that you do: cycling around in Amsterdam, taking up a safari in southern Africa, visiting Disneyland in Shanghai. I-- no, we-- held on to you and enveloped you in our love for a long time. You said that you had to travel. You weren't leaving forever, you just needed some time to explore. I wonder what you are up to now. Did you lose your freckles? How was the volleyball season for you? Are you on Team Cap or Team Iron Man? Whatever the case may be, I hope that you are in a happier place than before.

---

Author's Note: This is an ode to those of who were previously a part of the old community blogging world. I stumbled upon a lot of my old friends' blogs last week, and a lot of them left for the same reasons, and as a member of the community for over three years, it's hard to see people come and go. We shouldn't forget them, but rather, hope that they're doing okay now, blogging or not.

14 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful <3 it's so interesting to see how the blogging community has changed so much over time. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. You and I are both oldies (I'm pretty sure we started blogging in the same year), and we've seen a lot of people come and go. A bit painful, but it's a good reminder.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. This is such a lovely post. <3 I wasn't a part of the older blogging community, but I have had friends come and go, so i do understand these sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post was aimed primarily at the old blogging community, but it does apply for other areas, as well. <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. This stings but you do bring up such an important point about caring for the people who aren't showing up anymore. Thanks for this reminder (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True; sometimes, it's really hard to forget those who have been in our lives, and if they left, well, the best thing that we can do is to wish that they're doing well, in whatever endeavors that comes their way.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. I think this is the most beautiful writing of yours that I've read. I love it love. Thanks for sharing this Morning. :) I guess we started blogging about the same time - it's been about three years for me too. It's a strange feeling to come across blogs I knew really well a long time ago and for them not to have anything published in the last year or couple of years. I miss those people. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Morning, you have a lovely way with words. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also miss those people tremendously-- a lot of my really good blogging friends stopped blogging at the end of last year. It's just really hard to say goodbye. <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. I love your photography and words, morning! That was lovely!

    - Edie
    mintyperfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the way you write! This was a good read :)

    creesianskeen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Your writing never fails to amaze me! I love the way that you compared the blogging world to a library ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Amy. The blogging world and the library do share a lot of similarities, that's for sure.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning