19 June 2016

Travel Journal: The Brick & Foliage Aesthetic


Now, for my second installment featuring Atlanta, also known as The Big Peach! My Atlanta trip is one of my favorite travel spots, for sure.

The first observation I had of Atlanta was the amount of foliage that grew in the area. While I had previously stated in several blog posts that my town had nature infused within the city grounds, Atlanta made my town look as if only we had only planted one tree on the main street. The trees were not of pine, but they were thick and gorgeous.

The architecture of the city radiated pure vibrancy. Skyscrapers daunted over the busy interstate highways, each with its own unique design, and many of the smaller buildings were mainly founded on brick. Even my relative's house was a big old brick house, with a large backyard that fireflies and copperhead snakes occupied. If I had to give Atlanta an aesthetic, it would simply be bushes and bricks.




One of the non-tourist things that I was able to experience was living in a house with three dogs. While residing in the Philippines, there were dogs, but they did not step foot into the house. This was different, as they would run around, begging for food whenever hearing the sounds of clanging utensils at dinner. One of them, on the first day, started barking at me at the staircase because apparently, that was her way of saying, "Carry me down the stairs, human!" In the morning, I'd wake up to the sounds of their whimpers and door scratches, indicating their increasing agitation at any sound elicited. My family thinks that the experience helped change my mind about owning a dog when I'm older, but I still want to raise one, when I have the ability of caring for my own dog.

 Okay, Mack is actually really sweet. He doesn't bother anyone, even if there's food.


On our first day there, my family ventured out to Stone Mountain, where a carving of the Confederate soldiers sat in place. There was a train ride that encircled the entire mountain, as well as a small museum filled with the city's Civil War history and mini golf (which I wasn't able to take part in). It's interesting discovering all of this history within the crevices of the mountain. At the remaining hours of our time at the location, my mom decided to get us funnel cakes due to something that had been said two years ago, a bit of a family inside joke.





Then, we ended up visiting the Georgia Aquarium. I've only been to a couple of aquariums because they often aren't close-- the closest one in my state being several hours away from where I live. In terms of the gallons of water used, not only is the Georgia Aquarium the biggest one in the nation-- it's the biggest one in the world! It was really cool to see all of the wildlife, especially through a narrow tube pathway that's surrounded by water. One of the downsides is that all of the shows banned any sort of photography of the sort, but it was all right, as there were equally as many places to take photos. We also had a lot of downtime, so I texted a friend of mine, who reported that at home, there was a thunderstorm! This made me a bit shocked, because I wanted to experience a thunderstorm.













Another place my family traveled out to was Historic Banning Mills, a resort about forty-five minutes outside of the city, because there was a zipline there. We explored the entire lodge area and killed about two hours of our time playing fooseball in the recreational area, where I accidentally was crowned champion because I beat all of my family members, even though I usually end up losing to friends because I get super cocky and competitive, such as screaming, "Oh snap, you're going DOWN! Like DOWNTOWN! Watch me veer right, veer left-- oh my shish kebabs, HOW DID YOU SCORE?"

Finally, the time for zip lining came. As we were strapping up our gear, gray clouds began to flutter in. The wind speed rose up a bit, and some of the largest rain drops came crashing down on us. This ended up lowering the temperature by a lot. The bus ride to reach the practice zip line was quiet. Thunder rolled in the distance, and after twenty minutes of waiting, our guides said that it was dangerous to continue on further, so we had to stop. It was quite saddening. Remember how I mentioned I wanted to experience a thunderstorm? Well, sometimes you get more than you bargained for.





Tell me, out of all of the places in Atlanta mentioned so far, which is your favorite? Also, who else is doing Camp NaNoWriMo? Let me know in the comments! 

21 comments:

  1. These photos look beautiful, I cannot wait to travel all around the world when I'm older. I loved reading this. :)

    Lauren | Sincerely, Lauren Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. Your photographs are stunning, Morning: you have a real gift for photography. Your trip looks fantastic! The visit to the Stone Mountains sounds so interesting (Me, jealous? A bit, yes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sunset! You should go and visit sometime!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love Atlanta!! I've grown up going there, it's such a beautiful city! I'm so glad that you had the opportunity to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're really lucky that you're able to travel there frequently! Traveling is a bit rough on my family-- we always have to book a flight to Seattle for that reason. >.< That probably doesn't make sense due to missing connotations and stuff, but... :P

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. Ooooh I love this post! Also your new design looks FABULOUSSSSSSS <3 I loved looking at all the pictures :) That's such a bummer you didn't get to zipline. I've done it once before and it was rather crazy. I didn't want to. AT ALL. But all my friends were like, "YOU CAN DO IT YOU CAN DO IT." So I was up there getting ready, very unwillingly. (But I also did bc one of my friends who was going to get married and move away was there and it was like something we could do together one last time.) BUT LET ME TELL YOU IT WAS FANTASTIC. It was so thrilling and crazy fun. It's definitely something you should try to do! Looks like you had a great time though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn, thanks!!! That's so great that you were able to conquer your fear! Actually, I have gone ziplining before then, but it was when I was a lot younger, so I don't remember it much. >.<

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Your photography is simply outstanding! I love your photo of those two lobster shrimp like things, what a good shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lobster shrimp thingys (sadly, I forgot what they're called) photo is one of my favorites, too.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. woot woot! love the pictures + the new design :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel + commenting = awesomeness, so... :D

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Your pictures are drop dead gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antonia, thank you so much!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. That looks like an amazing trip! I've only spent a brief evening in Atlanta during a road trip, but your photos make me want to properly visit! My favorite photo is the one where there's sooo many fish that you can barely find any empty space. The colors are so cool! As for NaNoWriMo, I did it in November once, but I've never done the camp :) Good luck!!

    Beatrice | Beanau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrice, hi! Definitely properly visit, if you have the chance-- especially the Georgia Aquarium! Also, if you have a chance to do Camp NaNoWriMo, go for it!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. This looks really cool! Your pictures of the aquarium are amazing!! I'm not doing nano this year, although I am planning to send my completed manuscript to some publishers.... Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you and your manuscript goes well!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Yay! I love being tagged! Thank you, Sarah!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. Did you go to a restaurant called Johnny Rocket. It was like a restaurant from the old times and it played old music. My whole family loved it! It was in downtown Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning