25 June 2016

Travel Journal 2016: CNN Headquarters & Tasting Cheesecake

The final installment of my Atlanta series! During the last several days in the city, my family was able to explore more of the area, and one of the places we decided to go to was tour Georgia Tech, one of the top engineering schools within the country, because my brother and I were both interested in the fields of engineering as majors. 

The campus was absolutely gorgeous, although the experienced was slightly dampened because one, our parking ticket expired which caused us to cut the tour short. Secondly, I was the only girl on the tour who was old enough to start touring colleges, and three, when we introduced ourselves and I said what state I was from, people just viewed me as this exotic, out-of-this-world person who wasn't used to the heat. Just because I come from a state that tends to have lots of snow does not equivocate the absence of high temperatures. It would be a nice college to go to, although I did have a slight problem with the fact that there was no Creative Writing involved as a major or minor, and that's something is pretty much essential to my existence. Writing is my life. There are very little writing camps in my state (one of them is extremely expensive) but I want to trained within the art of it.






While my parents were asking what building we would like to visit next, I suggested to visit the CNN Headquarters, as they were based within the city and they offered hourly tours. Visiting the main building for CNN was a huge deal for me-- their news show for students, which was posted online, was a huge part of my middle school life, and there was not one week when it wasn't broadcast onto the SmartBoard each class had.

Our tour was super informative, giving insight to why stations end up doing certain things they did, even though walking up eight to nine flights of stairs was tiring! There's a reason why some stations do not allow their newscasters to wear blue or green. Ever wondered why, while doing the weather, they always do a sweeping motion? There's a reason for that, too. The tour guide even allowed us to peek within the central hub of the entire station, watching people look and write reports on the latest news that would suddenly pop up.







Several blocks away from the CNN Headquarters was Centennial Olympic Park, one of the main areas of interest during the 1996 Olympic Games. So much of the area was influenced by the Olympics; one of the tour guides during the Georgia Tech tour said, "And here, we have our swimming pools. Other colleges may say that they have Olympic-sized pools, but here, we have THE Olympic pool." You have no idea the immense amount of giddiness that rushed over me. Watching the Summer Olympic Games is on my bucket list, and to this that I would be standing in a place where many world-class athletes once gathered is completely unbelievable!




On our last day of visiting the city, we decided to go to a local mall and explore, since a lot of the shops that were offered within the state of Georgia were not available in my state. In the food court, my family had a game plan: the four of us would each choose a food chain they've never heard of before, buy some of their food, and then share it with the rest of my family. My parents both got Asian food from two different chains. My brother got Chick-Fil-A, while I went to this Italian based food chain.


One shop that we discovered in the mall that was available in our state was Teavana, a nationwide tea store. They had the right amount of platters in there, and my family gushed over the tea samples and the extensive amount of knowledge the clerk had about each kind. If it weren't for the store, I wouldn't have found a tea that helps with falling asleep, a huge problem I have due to my active imagination (and possibly insomnia).



Oh yes, did I mention that my mom allowed for my brother and I to actually choose a slice from The Cheesecake Factory, another place that is not available in my state? I decided to get Mango Key Lime, which has the strangest flavor ever, although this is not highlighted in the bad sense.


Of course, it was time to say goodbye. It was hard for me to leave the dogs, since I got used to their morning whining, my version of NPR, and the comfy bedroom I slept in. I found out that with less items in the room to stress me out, the easier it was to fall asleep. I can't wait to visit the city again!
Since then, life has gotten back to normal. I ended up attending a church camp, doing more crowd waves and being introduced into an idea of a spiritual hug (which wasn't that spiritual, it consisting of a group of confused people asking, "So where's the spiritual part in this?") and attending my library shifts and engineering camps, where another girl and I won the ultimate prize in the male-dominated camp. 
A couple of announcements, before I leave: I am accepting blog designs (ask me about them via the contact form right now). I am also going to be slightly absent due to Camp NaNoWriMo-- who else is embarking on that one month journey-- and another creative collaborative project. If any of you are interested in joining in with several other bloggers and myself, just comment below and I'll talk to you more about that.

15 comments:

  1. That looks AMAZING! I've always wanted to visit Georgia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures!
    *INCOHERENT SCREAMING* CNN!! This makes my political junkie heart very happy. Gahh, that tour sounds AMAZING.
    Oh my god, next time you go to the Cheesecake Factory, you absolutely MUST try their chocolate cheesecake. It's to die for :)
    I'm so glad you had fun on your trip! It sounds like an amazing time.
    Yes, I'm doing Camp! I've never done a NaNo event before, so I'm quite excited. My project is going to be a novella about angels and demons.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CNN is literally the coolest place ever! It also made my political junkie heart excited! Nowadays, my family just watches CNN on TV during dinner now-- before it used to be soap operas. I do have to say it is a pretty nice change.

      Yes okay I will have to try their chocolate cheesecake! I've noted that on my bucket list now. XD

      Ooh, your novella sounds very intriguing! You should post on your blog and tell us how it goes! I'd love to hear about your experience overall.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY IS MY FAVORITE PLACE EVER. Cheesecake is my obsession. If I'm ever overweight, it will probably be cheesecake's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheesecake = immense love!!!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. This looks so cool! I'm not from the US at all so it all seems really exotic to me. It's very cool that you got to visit CNN though :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding? Ireland sounds so cool and I want to visit it! There's actually a chance I may go there with my choir this upcoming year!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. Those photos are amazing!! It looks so pretty there :)

    creesianskeen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really, really pretty.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Amazing photos!! It sounds like you had a lot of fun!
    I'd love to visit CNN some day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CNN is actually one of the places I recommend visiting in one's lifetime. It's uber cool.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. ooh Atlanta! I went there! We saw the CNN place, but just the little world not the actual place. That's so cool you got to see that! And I also saw the Olympic place too. When we went they had music going along with the water. it was cool!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning