11 April 2016

Don't Say "Beautiful:" Explained and Uncovered


Several people have asked what inspired me to write my previous post, “Don’t Say ‘Beautiful.’” The reason, which I am about to reveal, may not receive a lot of attention or comments, as it will be one of the my more serious resonating posts, but I feel that this is a topic that needs to be discussed, despite that I may, potentially, cross a line.

This idea about the word “beautiful” came into my mind last year. For nearly every day of 2015, I was persistent to comment on ninety -five percent of the posts that came through my feed. At first, all of my comments were genuine I would comment thoughtfully on each post, my response being about several sentences long, showing my enthusiasm in regards to the subject posted. As months dragged on, I kept reading through my feed, but there was an imminent problem which slowly made itself visible.

The problem was that I had no words to say.

Again, I had no words to say. No thoughts or words came about as I read through several posts. There was something in me that just screamed, “Okay Morning, you have to write something down, because it’s the polite thing to do.” So, now I did one of the worst things that you could ever do when commenting: I replied in the vaguest teenage way possible. A (rather painful) example I would have to say would be something around the lines of, “Oh my goshee this is beautiful like what I can’t even... like, WHOA.” Nearly every single comment contained a synonym, if not the actual form, of the word “beautiful,” and in my gut, I felt guilty. I bet many of you would raise your hands while reading this on your computer screen, because you have felt guilty of committing the same action, as well. Yes, I know that some of you will admit that you have. It just feels fake.

There are many words in this world just look through your dictionary! As a writer, I’ve come to realize that, even though there are synonyms of the word, they don’t all capture the same essence or feel. This is why many authors will use certain words to create a particular mood for a scene in the book. For instance, take the words “pretty,” “lovely,” and “gorgeous." Often these are words used synonymously with the word “beautiful." On the surface, they all appear to be the same thing, but if you read through each word’s definition, each one slightly varies.


All right, I know that they all have "beautiful" in their definition, but look at the way each definition uses the word.

"Beautiful" is a word that shouldn’t be used in the lightest way possible, yet this is a word that our society has grown accustomed use as hackneyed expression, diluting its original meaning.  A more common example that can be found around eight to ten -year- olds would be the word “awesome.” Who hasn’t used the word when trying attempting to describe your flying dog in a story you once tried to write with your nearly illegible elementary school story? (Haven’t we all written wild crazy stories just as the example? Believe me, I can barely read my handwriting from when I was in the first grade, and when I wrote in Sharpie during then, the difficulty level for reading it is amped up ten times than the usual.)

Another aspect that the poem in the previous post touches upon is the emulation of beauty. Everyone, to a degree, is at least somewhat attracted to idealism, and if one were to look at an example, it would be the numerous amount of scrumptious recipes on Pinterest which don't necessarily turn out as picture  perfect as it does in the recipe photo. Even within the blogging world, we constantly strive for perfectionism, for things to look perfect. Youthful smiles and something which renders a warm feeling inside is often the picturesque model for a post.

My brother and I were making brownies, and he wanted me to post photos on the blog about the process-- sadly, the brownies were undercooked and just mushy on the inside.

It’s so hard to try to break down the walls, deconstruct, and not have to build up a facade we build up every day, but how can we possibly stop? This is what we all do within our daily lives-- making it looking prettier than it is. Take one look at social media, and of you look through posts with selfies, a lot of the comments would say, "cuties," included with fire or lovestruck emojis. On this blog, I try extremely hard to not just post about the happy ongoings that occur in my life. I’ll admit that I’m sad, angry, or frustrated with something. I try not to paint a fake picture of who I am.

This is the same reason why while my family was offering potential places for me to volunteer over the summer, I simply turned down the offer, because the effort which I would exert wouldn’t be genuine. The idea of college comes closer into a reality with each passing day that goes by, and while the myth is try to appear the best that one possibly can look on colleges, it is also deemed to be true that colleges can see right through if someone is attempting to do certain activities that “look good” on applications. I'm not that perfect as many paint me to be, but despite that, there's still actual a person behind the screen with a three-dimensional personality that neither overlooks the good or the bad.

Time has brought many Renaissance figures.
Now look! We have printed copies.

The stanza above, which had came out from the poem, is the most beaten down sentence throughout the entire poem, with very simplistic vocabulary. Those two stanzas are supposed to feel like a slap in the face. If one were to create or write something, it should be kept real and avoid being trite. The Renaissance had numerous artistic pieces using similar techniques, mediums and even themes which recur between the art. But the art never was the same, not acting as a template to other artistic pieces. If one is confused, contemporary YA female characters would be an example, where so many of the "strong" female characters know how to wield a weapon and have a love triangle occur at the same time. The troupe was wonderful at first (because female empowerment, duh), but now, it is overdone.

I constantly go through my Blogger feed, and whenever I feel like someone isn't being organic or authentic anymore, I just unfollow them. I don't want to always hear the happy events occurring in in one's life-- I want to hear about the blogger, the blogger who is willing to admit they blog while wearing bunny socks & stuff the last bag of popcorn into their mouth. I want to read about someone who is somewhat like me-- a human being who is willing enough to be open to express the good and the bad (plus, sometimes, those kinds of post can be either refreshing or enjoyable, or both, like "Life Stories" Face it: while we, as a society, may be more attracted to the ideal image, we connect closer to people and events that we can identify ourselves with. 

If the usage of the word is to not be used lightly and not classify simple things, then what can we identify as "beautiful?"

Honestly, I don't know--or rather, I'm not sure. I'm not the all classified "expert" and there's also the fact that I could potentially be wrong.

I think that beauty is often a lot like emotions-- it's one of those things that cannot have a label placed when seeing or experiencing it during the moment, because you're in the moment, and you're too busy to be taken out of that period of time to even think about it. These are things which emerge but with no glamours to accent its good points. A raw essence, where personal perspective is expressed, tethered down by humility and a small sense of nervousness or fear, often this is where I find things to be beautiful, like the RAW of a camera unedited once a photo is taken. This, is what I view the definition of beauty to be, and if by any means someone has a perspective they want people to know of and aren't just copying it down, then by all means, be my guest and tell me your thoughts below.

--
Author's Note: I'm officially back from my awkward blogging absence and will be drafting up some posts, going back to my regular schedule of a post per week! Don't worry, I'll explain it to you all what I've been up to and why I've been gone.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Morning! You make some really good points here. I think we've all left comments before that weren't entirely authentic or sincere. I sometimes fear that my comments come off that way since I'm always saying how great a post is, how I loved it, etc.. But I really do mean every word when I say it, I'm just super easily pleased and impressed lol. I'll only point out an issue or something if it's an issue that just sticks out to me - otherwise I've got nothing but praise for the post and poster.

    Words can be such complicated things, can't they..

    Welcome back to posting, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwww.... This was absolutely though-provoking. There have been many times where I have commented on blogs because it's the "polite thing to do". I struggle with being sincere, and honest. Especially because my personality is very people-pleasing. I really love how raw and honest this post is, and I can't wait to read more. <3 :)

    Have a lovely day:)
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really awesome morning! You make some good and thought provoking points. In comments I also struggle with really being censere and being truly thoughtful.

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can I say? This post is so accurate; I relate to it. It's interesting to read the thought process behind the poem. And I really appreciate your honesty, willingness, and determination to be genuine. It's positively refreshing, and you've inspired me to be more thoughtful in commenting, and share those stories that make me real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..I'm struggling to find words here. You hit the nail right on the head, Morning. I've always struggled with running out of words when commenting. It can be hard because all the time, I feel like I'm not coming across as genuine no matter how hard that I try, or that I always end up saying the same thing. It's really difficult. The Internet makes things even harder because everyone is trying to come across as perfect. That's why I try to tell some stories on my blog that aren't so perfect, just because I know how discouraging it is to be bombarded by perfection every time that you go online. It's just not fun.
    I don't know. I feel like I'm rambling right now, and I'm sorry about that. I'll have to give this some more thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great post! I think that it is important to be genuine and use our words accurately, too. I know that even if I don't get many comment on a post, I appreciate the ones that actually leave a genuine comment more than just the one-worded comments that say things such as "nice" or "cool". These type of people only visited my blog for a follow, and their words don't really mean anything ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I 100% agree with everything you have just said. I hate how people throw words around and give them less meaning then they were originally intended to have. "Beautiful" is a great example, and also "love" is another word. "Love" is such a powerful word, and I feel now people just throw that word around like its a thin piece or paper, when in reality, that word should weigh more than 600 pounds. I admit, I am guilty of that as well, but it something I try to work on.
    I try to keep my blog as genuine as possible, and I hope people know that. I never wanna become one of those people who blog for views rather than content. I know how small my blog is and how off the radar it is, but I am perfectly okay with that. It is just an outlet for me, and I do hope it comes across as something genuine.
    Thanks you for provoking my thoughts, this post really made me reflect and ask questions.

    Tara xx
    beweirdalways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning