09 February 2016

The Wonderful World of Words


Words. Three years ago, on February 8th, I have started this blog with the hopes of expressing the multitude of letters which, when strung together, form the strands of thoughts that go on within my mind. They have been a part of my blogging journey for the longest time, and while I still am uncertain of what I am going to do with my lives in regards to majoring at the collegiate level, I know it will have something to do with the language formed by letters-- after all, within the first month of 2016, I have placed second in a book competition, placed first in the declamation category of Level II Spanish Poetry, and have received an honorable mention in something writing related that will be posted once its course of events have occurred. On top of all of that, I had a three hour long text message thread with one of my friends discussing the "common verbiage used in idle-minded conversation."

Since the beginning of this year, I have rediscovered my interest of collecting words. This was something I used to be fascinated with, several years ago. If one were to look at one of my bookshelf levels, alongside all my Harry Potter hardback copies are my ten dictionaries, varying by its type-- a colorful picture dictionary from second grade, both school editions of Merriam-Webster and Oxford, and even SAT-prep vocabulary books. Many of the words I would find online or whenever I would stop by the library and wander off into the reference section, also known as the place no one ever looks through anymore.

In honor of my three-year blogging anniversary, I have composed a composition of eight words, half which I have discovered this year, and the other half which I have loved for quite some time. I hope that you will enjoy them as much as I do, and if you have any sort of interesting vocabulary which you would like to share, then comment down below! I'd love to hear it.

Aureate just sounds as its definition says-- splendid. I love pronouncing this word, but I am 90% sure that I am pronouncing it incorrectly!


Kudos to my friend Oakstar who was the person who led me to discover the definition of this word! I have such a strong sense of wanderlust-- I'm going traveling down to some of the southeastern states over the summer, and I'm super excited! I've also been talking to my brother a lot about going to watch the Summer Olympics, when I am older and can pay for my own hotel and flight fare.


Word that I tend use around my friends, whenever we're talking about literature or art and we're admiring the artist's take on a certain piece of work. Often, in class, this refers to poetry, which I have had enough of my share of. I was voted to share romance haikus that I will be writing during a class assignment that is honoring Valentine's Day, and I am NOT looking forward to it.


This word is something that usually occurs when I am writing essays for class-- often times, I will know the direction of what I am writing and then, when a tiny part of my brain nags that there is a "better" word to be used in the essay's context, a word that I have used in the past and have had in my lexicon for quite a period of time, I will spend hours browsing through search engines until I find that exact word that I have been looking for.


True fact: when I first meet people, I cannot stare into people's eyes at all, because, to some degree, I do believe that the eyes are the windows to the soul, and when I am forced to look into a person's eyes and I am not familiar nor friendly with them, it makes my insides melt!

I discovered this word from a blogger who also is one of the executive directors of one of the theatre companies in my town. How I found their blog, I had absolutely no idea, but I do love the blog content-- relatable enough to understand the author's geeky usage of, "Wingardium Leviosa," but serious enough to discuss the importance of feminism in the twenty-first century.

There a lot of things that do end up triggering natsukashii, but mainly it is the photo wall that I have formed in my room on my mirror which now isn't a mirror-- all because I am not allowed to tape any other photos in my room.


Finally, sonder. People are constantly asking me how I can write about the tiniest little habits people have, but honestly, it's quite simple: I just thinking about people that I have seen throughout the day, and then from there I create a small story. While the stories may be false, the fact that people are real, with their own lives being small connections of this world that we live in, is true. Seriously, if you wish to appreciate this word, stop reading this sentence and close your eyes. Think about the people that you have seen today, and then think about small parts of their lives-- maybe that lady you passed in the supermarket is going home to her twelve kids after a ten-hour work shift, or perhaps that young boy with on the playground, wearing the bike helmet, wants to go to the moon but his parents haven't gotten him an astronaut helmet yet because they're saving the present for his birthday coming up in two weeks, and the money which they tip the filling station attendant at the gas station is helping him or her with their college fund.

Whoa. That seems like a lot to take in. If we think about it, you can see how insignificant and significant that we are in this world, and the realization of this fact is beautiful and bittersweet. 

But if we look at it in a certain light, we can see that it's wonderful, all at the same time.

Thank you so much for three years, and I can't wait this new year of my blogging journey, embarking on the adventures that life's ups and downs bring us, one day at a time.


27 comments:

  1. That last word was especially lovely and I couldn't help but copy the definition into my diary. I always want to expand my vocabulary but I have no idea how. I guess you could say I experience lethologica often.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonder is defintely a keeper of a word. <3

      Yeah, vocabulary is such a hard thing to expand! We do know more than we think we do-- when I'm writing essays, either all of these words that I thought I had no idea what they mean just pop into my head, or there's a word that I know I'd like to use but it wouldn't pop up (lethologica!!!).

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. I am in love with this post! Going to read in more detail later! This is so cool, Ill give you a follow up later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. This is the follow up! I love it, I love how you have the definition of the word and your explanation. Ah its perfection! WANDERLUST Like thats me right now. To be able to travel seems like id be endlessly fun!

      Delete
    2. Hehe, it is pretty important to explain why I chose these words! And yes, girl, yes; wanderlust is what I want to do when I'm old enough to retire but I'm still kicking around. XD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. awww, love, love love. all these words are so beautiful. the wonderful world of words is right. <3
    CONGRATS!! you've been blogging for so long :) That's so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, darling. Three years has been a long time-- life has been wanting me to drift away from blogging (meaning it leaves me barely any time to do anything blog universe wise) but I'm trying to stick with it! Luckily I can be more active throughout this entire week.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY DEAR *THROWS ETERNAL CONFETTI*
    I love beautiful words - absolutely love, love, love them. Some (*coughcough* many) of my favorites would have to be:

    Demesne - (n.) dominion.
    Cinnabar - (adj.) deep red.
    Kermes - (adj.) bright red.
    Petrichor - (n.) the smell after rain.
    Penumbra - (n.) a half-shadow
    Scintilla - (n.) a tiny spark
    Vespertine - (adj.) pertaining to the evening
    Jacinthe - (adj.) orange
    Aubergine - (adj.) deep purple

    Those are but a few of my favorites :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time when it's your blogging anniversary, I'm going to bring cake!!! *CATCHES ETERNAL CONFETTI* *THROWS IT BACK UP INTO THE AIR* *SQUEALS*

      AHHHH oh my goodness I cannot even fathom how much I love your list (having many favorites is not shameful at all)! I love "petrichor," especially when I'm out at a youth retreat because often times, it rains during the night. You should totally share more!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. All of these words are magical! Thank you for sharing ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  6. First and foremost, congrats on three years of blogging!

    Secondly, I love they way you write. Your words all just seem to flow into one another, and they move flawlessly to create a feeling within the reader. As I was reading this, I was just blown away by it's coherence and clarity. You have talent- I cannot wait to see where it will take you.

    Tara xx
    beweirdalways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tara! :) How have you been doing lately? I know you've been getting over your breakup (I was able to squeeze in some time two weeks back to read your most recent posts). I hope you've been doing better.

      And oh my goodness, you have no idea how much that means to me! Usually I look at my writing and I feel like it's the worst thing in the world, while everyone else praises me. I don't know... I guess we're all our own worst critics. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. this is all so fantastic! I love the word lethologica. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Three wonderful letters strung together for a word that sums up these three wonderful years.

    This is such a lovely post. I'm going to keep these gorgeous words in mind in the future. I love your blog so much. I can't wait to see what else you create.

    And thanks for the kudos hehe. Kudos to you for your amazing work on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, of course I have to credit you, Oakstar. I seriously cannot believe that in July, you will have been blogging for two years! *is mindblown* I remember when I'd talk to you and others on the DG site, in their blog posts...

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. this is exquisitely beautiful. words that are so little used but that mean so so much are my favourite. natsukashii is probably gonna be my new favourite one of the list hehe.

    i enjoyed this list very very much <3<3 thanks for reminding me of these beautiful words. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of a good thing that we rarely use this words-- there are many words that have fallen into common conversation who have lost their meaning (like the word "awesome"; I love the word, but it's just used too much). <3 <3 <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. congratulations on 3 years <333

    that. was. beautiful. And I love those words.

    cannot get over that post.....

    Congratulations once again Morning. Congratulations.

    xox
    www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee, thank you, Lexie. <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. Happy blogging anniversary, dear! <3

    xx Jordan

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning