29 February 2016

The Art of Deconstruction.

 
Around this time of year, I get all wound-up, blogging wise. This is the time of year where nothing typically happens, where the mundanity of life eats away. This is the time of year where I interact the least with the blogging community. When I'm all wound-up, the best thing to do is deconstruct.



Deconstruct. I am reminded of the building blocks which my brother and I found hidden within the corners of the room, which we had decided to create abstract figures out of simple geometric shapes. I am removing the armor that a mighty blogger carries upon themselves--a sign of protection and burden--and return to my roots, the flagship mantra of every new blogger: "I'm new, I have something to say, please listen, no matter how new I am or how messy the post is." The idea of creating a fresh start is an appealing thought, yes? That is why many ring in the new year with a new hope that dreams carry, a hope which I carry.

Here I am, at my roots, recollecting my purpose as to why I write this blog. My hands are ink-covered by one of the many prescription pens my dad brings home from his work. The night is still young and the stars are shining bright. However, despite the cliche which carries the line, it doesn't matter. Many don't look to the stars anymore, as I do walking to school. Many individuals have their attention fixated at their tiny six-inch screens. If, reader, you are reading this post from your phone: hello.

Seriously, if you have not read this book, you totally should. It discusses my three favorite topics: art, philosophy, and the meaning of life. I wish I could have a normal conversation with people about these three topics, but it's extremely rare for me to find someone who would be willing to discuss one of the three with me.

Recently I've read the novel The Elegance of the Hedgehog, a French novel by Muriel Barbery, a book I've chosen to do a project on for school. It has become one of my favorite novels. The novel discusses that while art and philosophy may be two things that do make up for humanity's idle minded views (the two alternating protagonists have very cynical perspectives of modern society), the meaning of life-- as this is the main question revolving around the novel-- comes from interacting with others. That is the basis of the novel, and it is from interacting with others and creating a relationship with them, mainly friendship, that the beauty of life is found.


Thanks to my brother, who wasn't arguing about having photos of his hands taken above.

Interacting with others has been, to a degree, what I have been doing. I arrive at school early and have my daily conversation with the debate team members, my friends and some other individuals in my first period class. After school, I head and out brave myself to be surrounded by about forty-nine other individuals at rehearsals for theatre. By next week, I will be adding onto my plate interactions with others during softball, a sport which I am learning to do and is taking place of track due to my Saturday schedule.

Talking to numerous people does appear satisfying, and this appears to be obvious when I was in my first community theatre show two years ago. The most recent instance where chatting was satisfying was during state declamation, where five of us from the district level recognized each other and supported each other against the other school districts, and honestly, despite the limited interaction we had during our previous encounter, I wouldn't have wanted any other group to support me there than them. For me, I can only talk to a few people at a time. Speak too much to too many different individuals, then I arrive at home, diving head first onto my bed to fall asleep. However, there is no correlation between how much I interact with others and how much I blog; the correlation lies more whether there is something interesting to post and whether that particular post is ready to be showcased and published.


Currently working on the art journal aspect of my project-- representing the rather cynical / pessimistic views the two protagonists have about society. I'm going to have such a fun time explain this theme in class, and no, there is no sarcasm there.

That is my main reason for blogging so little lately. It's better to post something meaningful and that you feel is important rather than post spontaneously and regret it later.

In result of chatting with individuals, I came to the conclusion that people do notice you despite how little you attempt to draw attention to yourself, and often times it is the more positive aspects of your being pointed out rather than your negative ones. For instance, one of the members on the debate team pointed out that this girl (who I did track last year with and thought loathed me, who also was the choreographer of our school's original musical) thought that I was pretty chill and a really great actor. A more recent revelation were the thoughts which a good friend of mine had of me, revealed by a mutual friend of ours. Both times, I'm shocked.

Photos I am currently incorporating within a school project-- the main photograph shown is of the sprinting girls of last year's track and field season; I'm the shortest one in the photo.

I attempt to see the best in others when they can't, but the opposite is much harder; frankly, when we look at our own selves, all we see is a self-degraded version of what many tend to admire about our individual states. When we perceive ourselves through our own eyes, it's often through the worst of lenses, and this is why I think we need to interact with other people.

I'm not sure how often I will be posting on the blog until this summer, but hopefully, whatever I post then will mean something and carry as much weight as the words I am carrying now.

By the time this post is published, it will be March (but I have written this on Leap Day). I do wish you enjoyed your Leap Day, as it comes only once every four years (and, frankly, you have no idea how much this day makes me feel elated). Plus, it is some of my friends' birthdays-- they are turning four.

Thank you for listening.

22 comments:

  1. This time of year really is pretty mundane, isn't it? We fall into routines of co-curriculars and school and studying, and if we aren't enjoying these weekly activities then we're doomed to be miserable. I'm glad you seem to be enjoying them, and enjoying the company at each of these routine activities. The people really do matter. And you're right; something I discovered recently was that no matter how low my opinion is of myself, when I speak people are listening, so I can't just say whatever I want. No matter how hard we try to blend into the wall, people will always notice that we're there. We're still people after all.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes. Thank you so much, M; you have no idea how much I enjoy your comments. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. Haha, I have a cousin who turend "5" on leap day.It's such a funny day. Anyway, love your post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when the friend that I talked about in this post turned "three;" we made fun of him (but not in the mean way), and then sang happy birthday really loud. Like, extremely loud.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. This was great! Awesome post!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, I tagged you for the Infinity Dreams Tag.
      http://reasonstosmile4jesus.blogspot.com/2016/02/infinity-dreams-tag.html

      Delete
    2. I guess I'm not the only one to tag you!! I also tagged you here for the infinity tag- http://www.theteentrepreneur.com/2016/03/the-infinity-tag-03042016.html?showComment=1457304203384#c4275062503515925319

      Delete
    3. I don't do awards and tags, but I will go check out the posts and answer your questions, because I like to answer questions. Most of the time! Thank you to you both, Clara and Sophia!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. This is really such a beautiful post. I don't know what I can possibly add to it, because you expressed this so well, anything else I say would fall so horribly short haha. But I loved this post oh so much <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I'm glad you liked it! <3 <3 <3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. This is such an amazing post, very thought provoking, too. I agree with you about needing to interact with people as most of us often look upon ourselves in a very judgmental way, picking out every flaw, while when others see us, they often see the better parts.

    One of my friend's birthdays was on leap day, too! She turned 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing a lot of thinking a lot lately, yes-- this is one of the main things that has been brought to my attention and I needed to express it, but not to worry; I will be posting a "life" update soon, as the activities I'm currently in are almost over and that's when the most fun (and stress) occurs!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. So much truth. i really don't know exactly to what say...i mean, you described everything so accurately. i'm sort of (?) in a blogging slump...not really, but it's definitely like the time of year when it's just sort of a drag. However, i think spring is finally coming and that's just...like...awesome. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring can make everyone feel meh, because of the melting snow slush, like you said, it is awesome and there are flowers. Flowers, getting out of our slumps, finishing the final stretch of the school year while frantically waving around about our grade's process-- good things. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous photography, Morning!
    Like you, I think this is the time of year I really pour myself into blogging. I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes school, but it's still been going on for a while by now and although I still love it, I'm getting more energized about other things.

    The Elegance of the Hedgehog! My old English teacher recommended it to me, but I've not gotten around to reading it yet. And art and philosophy! I love these topics.

    Yes, I think your philosophy about blogging is quite true.

    My dog's birthday was on leap day! We put a party hat on her and sang happy birthday.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie! I have a love-hate relationship with school: love it because I love to learn more (and thus why I am taking four years of everything even though I have most of credits done) but hate it because I know in some subjects I can do better and I just yell at my grade like, "WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?"

      You should read The Elegance of the Hedgehog! I will tell you that it is wordy-- I had to reread the first entire part of the novel twice to understand what it was saying-- but it is worth it, because the amount of time that they spend talking about art and philosophy makes me giddy. ^.^

      Aww, that's so cute, putting a party hat on her! Tell her happy late birthday from me.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. This is such a great post! This time of year can be quite dull, it's always very grey and slushy where I live ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same... oddly (and quite sadly) most of the slush has faded early this year, so all I see are leaves and dead grass of last year. Things should begin growing within the next few weeks, though!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. wow, i really enjoyed this. so many bloggers only show a perfect minimalist lie, I really appreciate it when people are open like this, ok to not be perfect.

    ava, http://landofquiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, actually, your comment (although this topic has been a reoccuring thought in my head) inspired me to write my most recent post, "Don't Say 'Beautiful.'" I've had old blogger friends who would always write in poetry form and lowercase, like your comment, but there are some that try so hard to emulate that and it doesn't always work. I believe that often times, the most beautiful things come from a work that never tried to be beautiful, but just came to be.

      By the way, I commented (and followed) your blog! ^.^ I love the theme so much (and it totally did not hit me that you were one of the founders of Argonaut Nation)! Love your art work, by the way!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. There are definitely times in life when blogging seems more difficult, or that there's not a lot to say. And I think that's more than ok. I wonder if in part that's because we all need a period of rest so we can recharge, and it seems like there's nothing to say that really matters, but that's because our minds are actually taking time to soak things in and think and rest. I like to think of these quiet periods more like an incubation period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you worded it, Imogen! An incubation period... I guess that is what summer break is for, as well, but sadly it hasn't occurred yet, in the US. You're so lucky that in Australia, you're able to have break at the end of the year, when it makes complete sense!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning