24 July 2015

The Blog Entry by a Publishing Intern

Back in February, I was crushed when my mom said that my family would be leaving for our Philippines trip smack dab in the middle of February. I had wanted to earn credits by the means of attending summer theatre conservatory, but the time schedule wouldn't work. After spending many hours researching, emailing information and resumes, and conversing with many people, it was settled: I could intern for Summit Media, the biggest publishing company in the Philippines. More specifically, I interned for Total Girl magazine, which is a magazine aimed to the tween age group.

Interning is strange, and my schedule during the weekdays turned out to be very crazy. Every day, I would wake up at five, pack into to the Metro Rail System (MRT) at six, arrive at work at seven, and finally leave work at six, only to get back home at seven thirty and sleep approximately two hours later. 

For once, it never occurred in my mind that there was a good chance that I wouldn't make it in, with the speaking odds against me and age.

The rather awkward part was that, while I entered orientation on my first day, is that I seemed out of place, age wise, in the long halls consisting of cubicles, consistent clicking and the occasional coffee cart that passed along. Most of the interns that I saw and met were all college aged, around sixteen and older. 



The Total Girl team made me feel quite at home, and the events that I got to experience and cover were amazing! My first day there, along with two of the other staff, we got to go to a McDonalds media event revealing the release of the Minions toys and themed desserts a week before they were launched out to the public! 

I'm not much of a fan of the Golden Arches ever since I read a book called Chew on This (when I vowed that I would attempt to limit my visits as much as I could) but hey, you can't argue with work. In fact, while I was in the Philippines, I ate McDonalds about five times. I think I am going to keep watch for a while, gulp.





The next "out of office event" was a pull out at Toy Kingdom, a large Filipino toy store. If you don't know what a pull out is, it's basically a term for taking out items from stores, with permission, to review them. According to what I heard from many, this was one of the toughest tasks to accomplish because we have to review toys that are new and that haven't ben featured in the magazines. During my time, it took us only an hour to find toys. With the task accomplished, we got to go out for lunch.


While I wasn't going out of the office, I ended up doing tons of research for sections of the magazine.
If you think, from the post right now, that interning is simple work, it's not. In the business industry, you must be very professional and quality is always valued over quantity, a lesson that is reminded to me while watching through YouTube for hours for research. If you don't do it right the first time, you would do it again, and it's not a complaining matter to deal with. It's the real deal, and it's something that I have been trying to do with blog posts over the past several months.




The toys that were "pulled out" had their photos taken during a photo shoot. Let me tell you, peeling the toys away from their containers without making any sort of infractions on them is probably one of the toughest jobs that I had to do. I took longer than what was usually expected because I was scared of breaking the boxes!

Once a year, the staff ends up getting their profile photos taken for the magazine, and I arrived in time for that! They also snapping shots for a section of the magazine involving lots of DIYs, and surprisingly, I got to be a hair model for some of those! I don't know how to feel now that I could probably write in future resumes that not only did I intern for an international company, but I was a hair model.

There are so many freebies you get when interning.


My last outside event was on my last day, which was to help with an interview for the model section. I'd love to tell you about the place, but seeing as the issue won't be coming out for another two months and I would spoil everything, I can't. What I will say is this: the place that I visited had lots of succulents and had something that relates to feet.

On my way back on the event, I was trying to show how much of the Filipino language I could speak fluently by translating sentences giving to me in English back to Filipino. One of the sentences given to me was, "Clint Eastwood lives in a house with his wife and son."

I totally blanked out on I was supposed to say. "Um..." I said. "Mabuhay si Clint Eastwood sa bahay nya kasama yung anak at asawa nya." 

What I was supposed to say was, "Tira si Clint Eastwood sa bahay nya kasama yung anak at asawa nya," but instead, what I said translated to, "Clint Eastwood is welcome to live in his house with his son and wife." That completely changes the meaning of the sentence, all together, if you think about it.

Interning is weird, but there are lots of parallels to blogging. Besides the quality vs. quantity scenario, you always have to constantly think of new content and new ways to improve your blog. You shouldn't be shy when it comes to meeting new people, too. Be adaptable

I've also learned so many things, like not being able to eat at your work table and the fact that you should always get to the MRT station thirty minutes prior to the beginning of the rush hour so that you get to work on time. There are also small tidbits as remembering that there is no air conditioning until nine o'clock (a huge trouble for me, since I get to work at eight) or to always being seventy pesos-- the currency-- for lunch.

Some time when this is published, the TG team will be reading this (hi you guys)! Thank you so much for this opportunity; I'm fortunate and lucky to have been able to work with you all! 

P.S. I'm still accepting orders for my design shop!

51 comments:

  1. Wow! It sounds like you must had an amazing, crazy time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, and it was super fun! :) I admit, I'm still recovering, sleep wise (I sleep for about twelve hours every day now) but it's worth it!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. Wait, how old are you? Internship, that is so cool! I wonder if have anything like that in my country...I'm almost sixteen, I should probably start working during the summer as well :P How did you find out about it anyways?Great post and nice pictures! :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't state how old I am, but I'm a teenager! I have to find a job pretty soon, too, but as much as I'm looking forward to it, I'm kind of nervous too, because I'd be giving up tons of my free time. As for finding out about interning, I actually read the magazine when I was younger, and so I knew about it for quite some time.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, Morning, this sounds like it would have been a wonderful experience! I'm so glad you had so much fun resume building, and I'm sure you were a great intern addition to the Total Girl staff. As someone who'd like to go into the publishing industry myself, I have to say I'm a little jealous ;)

    PS: I'm loving your newer posting style—filled with lovely photos and so well-thought-out—so I think you're getting the quality vs. quantity thing down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I didn't know what to write on my resume when I was asked to send in one, but I did have tons of experience working in the school paper and on the yearbook committee! And are you kidding? I'm jealous you're being mentored. MENTORED. A lot of people in my life know I write, but nobody else does.

      xoxo Morning

      P.S. Thank you. I hope so. Now if my consistency blogging would only match my WC per day...

      Delete
    2. I have a resume file that I keep around in case I ever need to send it anywhere, but it's basically filled with literary magazine work, haha. And the mentorship program is nearly over now, but it was definitely an incredibly eye-opening writing experience—it's great for getting yourself out there! (Also, submitting to literary magazines is fun + nerve-wracking + perfect for building writer credits. You may want to give that a try!) Looks like we both had cool word-nerd experiences this summer.

      PS: I FEEL YOU ON THIS.

      PPS (or PSS, I'm constantly forgetting which): I tagged you for the 777 Challenge. If you decide to do it, have fun! :)

      Delete
    3. I wish I had a resume file filled with literary magazine work; it really is impressive. For my resume, my main qualifications were the fact that I was on the school newspaper team and on the yearbook committee-- a lot of group based, time restraint sort of work. It would be nice to send in my work to other literary magazines, but other than your lit mag, I don't know any others. :/

      xoxo Morning

      P.S. YES LIKE I'VE BEEN TRYING TO WRITE EVERY NIGHT BUT ALL THAT COMES OUT IS SO SMALL IT'S SAD.

      P.P.S. (I think it's PPS; I've never heard of PSS until now!) I saw that on your blog. Don't worry, I'll be posting that in a bit. ^.^

      Delete
  4. Wow, that sounds awesome! I kinda feel embarrassed; all these young kids out here getting internships and jobs and having resumes and I'm just like "well I saw Age of Ultron before everyone else so who's the REAL winner here" yikes my future is laughing at me.

    Anyway that sounds like an amaaaazing and very rare opportunity! It is really so good that you got that experience; it really will look good for you when you get older, especially for college. Congratulations! ^^

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, that's how I usually think at school too, only because everyone is about two years older and I'm like, "Hi guys! I'm not supposed to be here, but here I am!" My future laughs at me too, but only in a different way.

      I don't know how college applicants will take it... they will probably be impressed, but that one thing won't be the determining factor for me being a student at a university. I need to work harder. :P

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. It looks like you have had a lot of fun! It sounds like a rare opportunity, and its awesome that you got to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how rare it was, to be honest, to intern there... Maybe it was. :P But yeah, it was pretty awesome!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. I really love hearing about the opportunities and experiences you have in your life :)
    Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Lauren! I love how you share posts spreading your faith; that's something that I do want to try to write about, but never actually have the courage to do!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Wow, this sounds like it's been such a neat experience for you! Did you always live in the Philippines? Are you hoping to go into... magazining (??) when you're older?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I actually don't live in the Philippines, although people may perceive that because I never actually say where I live (it's okay, though)! I live in the US. I don't know if I want to go into magazining; while it's fun, I've also got my mind set on some STEM related things. :)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. Wow, I'm sure that was an amazing experience for you :) I'm really happy for you. I mean, it's not everyday that you get to be a hair model ^_^
    But it must've been pretty great. Interning sounds like a lot of hard work, but it also sounds pretty fun. Especially to work with a great team would make things so much more nicer. Haha, I'm with O, everyone around me is getting a small job for after school or something mature like that and I'm just sitting there like "oh."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever stated why I made a huge deal about being a hair model... do you know those hair commercials and how they always show the models flipping their hair? My hair looks the exact opposite of that: dry, limpy, and easily falling out (now it doesn't fall out as much because my parents made me undergo hair treatment). Interning is so hard at times. I don't know how people would react to me telling them that I interned once I enter back in school... they probably would just be like, "Oh," too. It would be nice to have a normal job, but first, I have to grow older a bit and learn to drive. >.<

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
    2. well, i'm pretty sure the people (well, at least I HOPE not) at your school wouldn't just say "oh". I mean, here on your blog everyone is loving it and happy for you, so I'm hoping that they would at least show some joy for you ^_^ xD

      Delete
    3. Well... I don't know. My school is great, but most people that I do know I'm not entirely open with or they just usually aren't in my circle of friends-- it's kind of something that people would expect of me to do, not entirely mindboggled by it. :/ It's a sad truth.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. Wow, it sounds like an amazing experience. Congratulations! If anyone can do a hard internship at such a young age, it's you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Oakstar! :D That means a lot!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. That sounds like an amazing experience! I can't wait to start interning :D

    ~Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, interning for what? That sounds great, Noor!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. This sounds like such a wonderful experience, thank you for sharing your thoughts about everything! It's really cool to have fun and be able to do something new that you can take with you in the future at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, waterunderthebridge! :) I've learned loads from the internship and I really hope to apply it sometime in the future! I'm never going to forget the experience!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  12. That is amazing, Morning! What a wonderful, life changing experience! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds wonderful and so much fun! That's great you got to intern! : )

    ~Sarah : )
    * The Joys Of Life *

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds awesome! i'm really looking forward to the time when i get to intern as well. you learn lots and have a valuable experience <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, when you do intern, you have to write a post with as much of the details as you can! (I actually had to end up cutting out a lot of main stuff only because I'm not allowed to disclose that info... :P)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  15. That sounds like such a wonderful experience! I've never interned before, but it sounds like you had a lot of fun ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try interning sometime, Amy! It really is fun. And if you do, then you should post about it! I would love to read about the experience.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  16. Looks awesome! Love the pictures! Interning sounds so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so is! :) Thanks, Rukiya.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  17. Thanks for joining us and writing about your experience, Abby! We're glad you had fun and learned a lot during your short stint with us. Take care and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi! It really was an honor working with all of you ^.^ Thank you so much!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  18. Awesome blog, Abby! Good luck on your journey and it was great meeting (and working) with you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katsu! I really hope this upcoming school year goes well-- I have hard classes as well as balancing theatre, writing, and the book competition Plus, who knows what sorts of things my friends and I will get into (we had an abnormal experience through middle school). :P

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  19. Were you able to go back to Sbarro? :) I'm happy to read that you enjoyed interning with us. :) Take care over there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steph! I wasn't able to go back to Sbarro's, sadly. Maybe next year, because even though my family is going to Georgia, I'm going to try to go to New York, too and see the original place. Thank you! I hope you have fun when you visit here in the U.S.!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  20. Morning,
    That really sounds fabulous. It made the idea of being an intern very appealing, actually...but, I've gotta say, your blog is so interesting and so wonderful. I find myself thoroughly enjoying every visit.

    -T.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tane! :) Thank you so much! I think you should intern for a magazine; I think you would be well-suited for it. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  21. Internships sound like so much fun! I used to be a big collector of Total Girl from when I was 7-13, a pretty long time. Loved the pictures - especially of ice cream. :') Well done on successfully intern-ning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I forgot that there was a Total Girl Australia, too! :) The ice cream was so delicious; I can't believe I hadn't heard of the business until now! Thank you!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  22. I use to read Total Girl when I was a tween! I have huge box where I put the magazines and when I was tween I want to work for them! I hope that you had a great time!

    Katrina
    http://katrinawrites07.blogspot.jp/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Squee! I had a box too-- and though the box now is currently in the basement, I feel as if I may need to start another box, because the issue that I worked on during the duration of my internship will be sent to me! :DDD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  23. What a wonderful opportunity and experience! Looks like a fun job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany! It was pretty fun!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  24. Awesome shop, Morning! The site looks great ;)

    Emily // Lynde Avenue

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning