08 May 2015

The Power of Hands


hand \ˈhand\

noun
1. the end part of a person's arm beyond the wrist, including the palm, fingers, and thumb.
2. an active role in influencing something.
3. (in sports) skill and dexterity.
4. a person's workmanship, especially in artistic work.

verb
1. pick (something) up and give to (someone).
2. make (abusive, untrue, or otherwise objectionable) remarks to (someone).
3. make (something) easily obtainable for (someone).
4. hold the hand of (someone) in order to help them move in the specified direction.


There are so many definitions to the word “hand” that I have decided to choose only a few. 

Right now, I want you stop for a minute from reading and take a look at your hands right now. Then, read the definitions again. Look at us! We have the power to create, to make, to inspire, all with words. Our hands can just be a physical part of our bodies, but it can be much more.

Out of all the definitions, my favorite is the last one: hold the hand of (someone) in order to help them movie in the specified direction. As a little kid I would always mess with my hands, but I never partook to take notice of them until I volunteered to help with the kindergarteners. The little kids would always be saying, “Can I hold your hand?”

“Um,” I’d say. Little kids are sweet, but sometimes, it would take me a while for me to process what they said. Besides, I wasn’t exactly the type who liked holding hands often. “Sure?” 

They’d take my hand and pull me. Hands had a lot to do with the projects they embarked on; they would make lots of hand-based animals, like the turkey (fact: I had never done that art project ever in my life). I love the relation with younger kids and their hands; they are so tiny, petite, and fragile, and yet they hold the power to create and inspire.


Simultaneously, within all this good, we have the power to destroy. We can take apart what others have created and break it. We are all capable of doing the good and the bad. But in the end, after all of this destruction and dismalness—we hold the ability to lend a handing hand and recreate it, stronger.

Hands can
make
break
shape
form
create
destroy
hold
i n s p i re

What will you do?

46 comments:

  1. Beautiful words. We hold so much power in our hands. But more than that, we have control. We can choose to use our hands for creation or destruction, good or bad. Loved this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love how we ultimately have choices to make and we decide-- it all comes down to us.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. That was beautifully powerful<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Clara! :)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. I love itttttttt. <3

    This reminds me of when I first got back after my laptop broke. The keyboard felt so strange and powerful underneath my fingers. So amazing. I love keyboards and writing and hands. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!! *dances*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 <3 <3 I had the exact same feeling when I began typing on a new laptop I got (which is the one I am using now) and I was like, "My fingers are on FI-YA!" :P

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous pictures! My favourite is the 2nd!

    - www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lexie! Oh my gosh, when I took the second photo, I was like, "This reminds me so much or Aurora touching the needle in Sleeping Beauty!" :) It's my favorite of the four, too!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. I never really noticed the power and amazing-ness of our hands! But then again, I couldn't follow some of my passions without my hands!

    Books - I need to hold them
    Writing - I need them to write with
    Blogging - to type with!

    Beautiful words, beautiful photos and beautiful post! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books, writing, and blogging are things that we use our hands with. When I was a little kid I didn't care if my hands were covered in mud dirt from hiking or not! :P

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. That post is so true you can do so many things with your hands xxx
    http://agirlblogx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is really good. Thanks for the awesome reminder, Morning! How odd it is that I hardly ever notice how much I use my hands. :-)

    I love when little kids want to hold my hand. I always think of it in remembrance--remembering who, as a little kid, I wanted to hold hands with. And then when your positions are swapped it's like, wow, what an honor! :-)

    Anyway, lovely post and photos! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? When your positions are swapped it's like, "Whoa, this is heavy and pretty deep... hit me in the feels, man!" :)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. I love this post! It certainly got me to think of things a bit differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things that I do try to aim for; look at different perspectives! Perspective is key!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. Truly inspiring, Morning. Our hands hold tremendous power, and we often underestimate how much of that power we have ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We totally do! And it's like what Peter Parker's uncle said, "With great power comes great responsibility!"

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. This was inspiring. I loved that little poem you wrote there, it was powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, Noor, you are making me blush. :D Thank you so much!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. Wow... I'm never going to look at my hands the same way again. Thank you so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Oakstar! :)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  12. Very beautiful post, very beautiful meaning. :)

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People can say that hands aren't beautiful, but they are. It's just that they tend to not see in a certain light. I'm glad you have, though!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  13. wow...that was a whole new perspective on hands.

    i LOVE it when little kids hold your hand and genuinely want you to come with them. It's like...Really? You want to be with me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perspective is key. <3 I know that feeling. It's like, "Hi kids! There are many other people you can be with, but wow, you're choosing me. And I'm not a Pikachu!" :PPP

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  14. Wow, I absolutely love this post! Your writing is amazing, and I've left with so much to think about ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you got so much out of my post!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  15. Wow..I never realized what hands could do..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all right. I think we can often be so caught up by the glamorous we don't stop to think and see the simple things.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  16. Thats fascinatig, great post !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulousness once again! I love how people's hands often reflect who they are and what they do. ♥♥♥

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, true true. Here here. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  18. Hi Morning, it's great that you pointed out that we have the power to decide whether our hands are capable of both good and destruction. I also like how you included the idea of a child's touch. It's amazing how just a physical of hand-holding with a child can represent themes like guidance and love. Have a lovely day. :)

    Dian
    The Happy Candle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dian! Yeah, it's so weird but bizarrely cool at the same time to think about themes that some actions have!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  19. Ahhh this is amazing! Hands may be simple but they are so powerful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, thank you thank you thank you, Cindy! :) Indeed they are, truly.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  20. This is such a lovely post! Really interesting read :)
    TAG xx

    theanongirl247.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be sure to check out your blog! ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning