14 April 2015

Green Dresses and Vocal Stresses

 "I'm not a character like Rapunzel or Cinderella; my story looks like any other." -- Malala Yousafzai




"Perspective is everything when you are experiencing the challenges of life." -- Joni Eareckson Tada





Yesterday I was able to compete and perform against some of the top choirs in the school district. I could describe how magical the evening was, with wearing a very much princess-like green dress and how our songs went down flawlessly, but to say those things wouldn't entirely be true.

First off, I was terrified for the day. One of the songs that we were to perform contained multiple solos originally left for the Concert Choir. In the choir class I'm in, Mixed Choir, I was assigned to only sing as a backup for the class. This was a fact until Friday, when my choir teacher came up to me at the end of the class and said, "You're going to be performing as one of the soloists at the actual competition." To sing for a small class is easy, but for a competition against other schools? Scary.

If you are wondering as to what solo or song I'm talking about, listen to this opening of the song Safari. I had to perform two of these "wah-na-no-le"s; one at the beginning of the song, and one at the end.


As for the green dress I was in, though beautiful, I had many problems with it. I kept stepping on the hems and nearly tripped several times as I walked up to the balcony and series of stairs. I would be walking and then, BAM! My face is on the ground I am wondering why it couldn't have been the afternoon of that day when I was discussing with a friend of mine on the way back home from school that our middle school group was weird and still is, as shown below when we are trying to plan a reunion:



The performances were amazing, ours and others. A lot of the songs that other schools performed were very choral like, whereas our school's songs were very wild with much body percussion and animal noises. The great thing about it was that I was able to see some friends of mine that I have not seen in quite some time, and to compete against them was such an honor and an excitement for me.

The competition's results haven't come out yet, but I really hope we won! I'm also glad to have heard from someone I know that my elementary choir teacher watched and was estatic to see me-- knowing her and having not seen her in awhile, I know she would. I'm kind of glad about it, too.

(Still haven't filled out my survey? Please do; I need the feedback!)

34 comments:

  1. I love the pictures. It's like they're telling me a story :)
    And congratulations!

    -nymisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! Especially since you think my photos tell a story; it's something that I honestly have been trying to attempt and work on, trying to take photos that are more than just photos. Thank you very much!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. The pictures are fantastic! What do you use to take them? The post is amazing and your description is fab, I can picture it all in my head! It sounds really exciting! I used to be in a choir and it's a lot smaller than this but when I was seven we had to perform to parents and I had a solo, I know how scary it can be! Anyway, I hope you win it sounds like you deserve it! Well done for doing this!

    "Oh the sun will come out tomorrow" - song from Annie that we had to sing ha ha. Ah, memories...

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Miss Internet! I use a Canon Powershot SX600. It is an average point-and-shoot camera, but hey, just because you don't have a DSLR doesn't mean you can't take great quality photos! The entire event was exciting; I kept sitting on the edge of my seat.

      Solos are scary, but they are the best. There's another solo audition for a RENT song (you know, the Broadway musical), and I'm nervous about it because the notes are hard to reach: either you sing an octave harder and use your falsetto, or use what has been written in the music, but have it go in the really lower part of your vocal range. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. amazing post! love your blog SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! ha ha! hey, there's a contest on my blog if you wanna check it out! xoxo

    abbiegirlonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abbie! I will check out the contest!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. It can be very scary to sing in front of a bunch of people. I've never done it myself, but I can imagine. But I bet you did absolutely amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! A lot of times in theatre I'm cast to sing in duet or a trio, but well, the day I end up getting a major singing role is going to be a nightmare (I can sing, I can act, but to do the two together is very demanding and terrifying).

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. All the best with the results :D
    Amazing photographs!

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg be proud of your trips, you and Jennifer Lawrence now officially have something in common!

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and Jennifer Lawrence? (I'm not great at Jennifer Lawrence trivia, excuse moi. :) )

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Good luck!

    Gorgeous pictures, I particularly like 5, 6, 7 and 8 the most! Thanks for your feedback on my survey, great ideas, I will try to fit some more photography in, as I like it more than most people think!

    - www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the results come out tomorrow; very nervous! And no problem with the survey! I'm surprised you figured out who I was! I can't wait to see more photography on your blog! Looking forward to it!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. Yayyy! I'm so proud of your singing, and of this post. Your pictures capture all of the beauty in simple things that we often miss. ♥♥♥

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Adelaide! My parents constantly complain as to why I take photos of everything but posed family photos or family photos in general, but really its because photography outlets my view on the world, and there is more to it than paper thin photographs of smiling poses.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. Unique pictures and an exciting day! Sounds fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally was fantabulous (besides the fact that I kept on tripping)!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. Congrats on a good performance (and for surviving in your green dress)! ;)

    Dani from A Vapor in the Wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have survived especially the green dress scenario! It is sad I only get to wear it once this school year, but perhaps next school year when I'm in Concert or Swing choir I will don the dress again!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. Sounds awesome! That song sounds prettty cool too =) Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One difference from the song to the actual performance was that we made more animal noises... :D Behold me making screaming bat noised (or attempt to, haha)!

      xoxo Morning


      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  12. Hey girl!
    Just wanted to drop by and say hi. :) Hope you're doing super well... sorry I've been long distant on blogger recently... you know how life gets. :) Thanks for your comments though, they're always great to see. :) Have a lovely day!
    In Christ,
    ~Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much! It's been awhile since I've been on your blog, actually, so it's nice to hear from you! I'll be sure to check out more of your updates as they come and go. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on your performance! It sounds like everything worked out and went wonderfully ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the results are coming out tomorrow or Monday. I'm so nervous!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  14. Oh, I know! Choir is so awesome! I love my choir! Lovely post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love choir, too! I can't wait for choir next year (I'm crossing my fingers that there will be way less drama)!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  15. Where's the survey at? I didn't see it.
    Love in Christ,
    Ashley
    creatingpreciousmoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The survey is linked! :) Sorry, links are so hard to find when I try to insert them into a post....

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  16. Enjoyed the photos! Singing in the choir sounds like a fun and awesome experience! I just had the chance to sing in a day choir for the first time last Saturday--it's so enjoyable to sing with others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethany! :) Choir is fun, and I love singing with others. Usually I prefer it when it's not very organized and you just belt out into the moment (like a musical) but choir is fun just the same. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning