21 March 2015

"Watch" -- Part 3

Ready for chapter 3 of "Watch"? I'm quite happy as how this chapter turned out; the speech that Melody gives is a speech that I wish I could give if I was in her position. I got misty-eyed writing this. If you missed parts one and two, read them here and here!


“Are you ready?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be.” That day was the last time our entire senior class would be together for a very long time. Today was graduation. I was crowned as valedictorian. Never would I have thought that I would have been given the honor to uphold such a position, but there I was, five minutes before my time to present. Monique and Amy stood by my side, next to the platform. The boys, Peter and Luke, were in their seats, neatly placed in alphabetical order by last name. “Should you two be back in the rows?”

“Back in the rows?” Amy giggled. She was dressed up neater somehow; it must have been the job of graduation gowns, whose shade of rows matched her eyes. “Who says back in the rows?”

I didn’t reply to her remark. My hands were shaking. Some of the notecards in my hands fell to the ground. I kept looking out into the seats and bleachers. Everyone inside of the gymnasium will be a spectator to the speech I was about to make. And possibly, quite possibly, if the busyness of life would calm from its commotion for once, they could be here.

Watching me.

Monique crossed her arms. “Ames, can you just go back to your seat? You’re not helping her. Besides, I want to talk to Melody for a second. Alone.”

Amy pulled up her arms out in defeat but didn’t argue.

Monique and I were left standing. The two of us stood like that, watching the Marching Band play a mashup of songs. Monique piped up, “You’re still waiting for them, huh? Hoping they will be here?”

“How did you—?”

“Relax. We’re best friends. Your problems are very much easy to convey. I don’t think anyone can do better than I can, except for Luke, probably. He has liked you for a very long time.” My stomach dropped. “I can read your problems for a mile away. It’s not ESP; it’s an internal thing.”

“No, it’s a best friend kind of thing.”

“Yeah.” She leaned back against the stage and smiled slowly. “I’m really going to miss you while I’m off to USC. Honestly, you’ve been fighting for your brothers and sisters’ attention for years. Why?”

“You of all people know why.” The feeling in my feet was absent. Blood throbbed in my clenched hands. “I wanted their love… their respect, at the least, but they seemed to show nothing to me.”

“You’re trying so hard. You live in this fantasy that everything will be all right, but it’s not always like that. It’s an utter cliché!”

“Haven’t you realized that life is full of clichés?”

“Yes, obviously. If they don’t realize and value you as a little sister, then you shouldn’t try so hard for their attention. Besides, we’re all family—me, Amy, Luke, and Peter, even if Luke does like you as more than a friend. Aren’t we?”

Her words seemed a little sad and desperate. I could tell that she wanted to help me see myself in a better view, but no—this is what I worked hard for. The marching band’s performance came to a close. The principal makes the introduction, the momentum needed for me to appear on stage. I shook off Monique’s hand from my shoulder and rose onto the stage steps. “Even if you know me, you wouldn’t understand.”

“…Please welcome Melody Rogers!” The entire gymnasium gave a polite clap as I made my way to the podium.  I reorganized my notecards, giving them a hard stare. My eyes closed. I slowly submerged from the room and into the collection of my thoughts. This is it. They would be out there. Mom and Dad said the four would be next to them. Breathe.

“So, here we are.” The microphone screeched, and a piecing loud shriek soared through the hall. “S-s-sorry. Let me start over.” I did a quick run-through of my notes, but I realized: this is not what I wanted the speech to go. It was cliché of all of clichés, and I needed to work with something that was much more unique. The cards are set down and I placed my hands over them. A tapping rhythm is formed from my knuckles rapping against the wood board. Breathe.

“I’m not the world’s greatest at making speeches. Yeah, I might have ended up on the team which was in third place overall for the speech competition a while back, but this is different. This time, my words are all uncharted. The speech I am about to give to you has not been rehearsed. I have nothing to guide me. Here we are. I’m about to say a speech. We are all about ready to go end the high school chapters of our lives and go on out into the real world.”

I grabbed the microphone from the podium and began to pace around on the surface, a habit of mine when I got nervous. My eyes were searching among the sea of people, trying to locate my family. “It would be dumb to say that we all might be tomorrow’s future leaders, because that wouldn’t be entirely true. I am sure, however, that there was a person or several people in the community that we have looked up to.

“For me, those people were my older siblings. They never seemed to watch me, but I always watched them. I’m not saying that the four of them were perfect. None of them were. But there they went, accomplishing amazing things. I bet you all had one person you wanted to be just like and if they were in your life, you wanted them to love you and earn their respect: for me, it was them.

“I wish that they would understand that, to me, they were my constant draw of inspiration, the main reason why I try so hard to do my best and do what I do today, which is, by the way, not making speeches, nope, an entirely different job…” The crowd laughed at the remark. I couldn’t help but share their amusement. I finally found my parents in the bleachers, teary-eyed and with a recording camera, with the four seats to the right of them, all reserved, remaining unoccupied.
One of the highest moments of my life was happening, and they are not here.

My eyes filled with tears. I attempted not to let my pain show in my voice. The next words that came out of my mouth were low and serious, cloaking the audience in a brief period of reverence. “I wish they could be here now and just be here to celebrate w-with me.” The initial response was the opposite of my speech joke; the crowds dimmed their voices and listened.

“But now is not the time for sadness. Now is the time to talk about you. Our four years of high school have been eventful, and has had its share of ups and downs. Sure, we may not be world leaders, or discover the cure of cancer, or become the next Picasso or Michelangelo, but with 327 of us in this graduating class, I think it would be safe to say that all of us have the power to inspire the ones in our lives, the people that we touch, just like my brothers and sisters have. And let me tell you, that that can be enough.”

The populous cheered deafeningly as I made my way off the stage and into my seat. Everything became a blur up until the end ceremony.

My parents greeted me with a smile along with the flash of a camera stinging my eyes. “Oh, honey, we’re so proud of you! Your speech was great! Ah, the last of the Rogers family to go and graduate! My babies are all so grown up! I had hoped the rest of our family could have made it, but…” Mom adjusted her eyeglasses. “Well, time for photos! Photos, everyone! Then dinner’s over at our place and it’s on us!”

I hadn’t banded back with my friends after the ending of the ceremony, but Dad somehow managed to find all of them. Amy and Peter greeted me with fist bumps and high fives. Luke, surprisingly, greeted me with a kiss on the cheek, causing everyone to swoon and for Dad to shout, “Hey, no PDA, especially with my kid! You haven’t even gone through the correct courting rights! Teenagers these days…” Monique was the last one to greet me, and she hugged me for the longest time. We all took photos, both posed and silly.

A smile was plastered on my face, but inside, I was heartbroken. I wanted to go out into the restrooms and just cry, easing the pain. My brothers and sisters were not here, as usual. They didn’t watch! I had spent eighteen years trying to get their attention, but even now they had other matters to attend to. Call me selfish, but it seemed to be a thing that ran in the family, ourselves before anyone else. Maybe it was time to give up, like Monique had said. Maybe, if they cannot see how I am, that’s their problem. All of my dreams and fantasies that they would respect me—they all had to disappear. I woke up and was brought into a new light.

For now on, I am done with trying to make them watch.

34 comments:

  1. It's fabulous! It's truly fabulous! It's so heart wrenching and emotional but that's what make it, well, it! Honestly you will do something with writing when you're older! You WATCH!

    Lots of love Miss Interent xoxo

    P.S. See what I did there!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been tearing up while I was writing this... like I said several posts ago, her character's story/journey is very difficult to write because though it may not be something on a huge large scale on a pain of hurt (compared to, like, let's say World War II causalities families had to endure) it is still very painful. Aww, thanks so much! I hope so, too. (I totally saw what you did there. XD)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
    2. lol.... I'm totally missing what you did there - lol ;)

      xo,
      megann

      Delete
    3. By the way the speech is so inspiring xoxo

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much! I'm glad that you think that-- I was a bit terrified it may come off as, you know, a bit preachy.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. Woah. I've got shivers.

    i really thought Melody would get her happy ending! But alas, it wasnt meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy endings do not come easily. Sometimes, it takes years, or decades, before someone receives their happy endings. Sometimes, people don't receive them at all. Maybe there is a chance at redemption? (Nudge nudge wink wink!)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Aw, this broke my heart. Poor Melody—I really thought her siblings would grow to respect her in this chapter! I like how you ended it though, with her moving on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things that happens to Melody over the course of this story is that she grows from this girl thinking that everything will all be all right, like in fairy tale books, but she is placing these fantastical expectations on a real world situation which doesn't go well. The next chapter... oh, what can I say about the next chapter without spoiling it? She's not how she was in the first three chapters.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. Wow! That was so emotional! I loved her speech and all the description and the fantastic flow!


    .s there more parts? Please say that there are more parts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more parts, and they do get more emotional. The fourth chapter sets up the fifth and sixth chapters, which are both a bit more heart wrenching then this chapter. The story could end here, but there was more to tell, so I had to keep writing. I'm glad I did.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh! This was so amazing! I can't wait until chapter 5!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine! Chapter four should be up next Friday or Saturday! Depends on my schedule! Be patient. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
    2. I should really have clarified that... -_- :P

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. I feel like my heart was ripped out. Poor Melody. It's sad that her siblings didn't show up, but I'm glad she's trying to put them behind her.
    Can't wait for the next part! ^-^
    ~Adi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next part -- perhaps a chance at redemption, but some scars are painful to remember. ^-^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness...this..this... is amazing.
    You are an amazing writer, Morning. That speech was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of surprised, too, when the speech came out, and I didn't realize the weight of the speech and why it came out that way until I was typing and reading it and thinking, "Whoa... this is a girl, a girl who has tried so hard, and she's just leaving her feelings all out there." It's pure bravery and sweetness.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. That was really great! I marvel at your talent for writing, Morning! I am really enjoying this series<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clara! I'm glad to hear you are. The next three chapters are a bit rocky in the sense of relationship wise between her and her brothers and sisters. Things get heated up, fast.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. This is sooooooooo good! I just wanted to keep reading and reading and reading and reading....... Tell me there's more!! :) Beautiful job <3

    xo,
    megann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's more! There are three more parts after this, and then, it's done. ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. kinda teary at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay; I'll cry with you. :'(

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. No problem! :) It breaks my heart, this story. </3

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  12. AGH. I've just got A LOT OF FEELINGS MAN.

    It's perfect and so wonderful. ♥

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. THE FEELS ARE REAL.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  13. You're a good writer, Morning, and I enjoyed the story. Glad my siblings are always there for each other--I guess I'm blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You must be blessed, indeed-- strong relationships are important.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  14. Morning, you've really outdone yourself this time. Can't wait for part four!

    ~ayumii
    http://thisblogdoesnotevenexist.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ayumii! Let me tell you, that unlike this chapter, the next one isn't as great, but it is needed for the story to continue.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning