16 January 2015

Role Model Troubles


I'm taking a break from posting about Disney to write about this. Several weeks ago, my friend pointed out something that made me think. Before I headed off to first period, the two of us, including another one of our other friends, were talking about college and universities, since we are fast approaching that time in our life. For some weird reason, my friend ended up bringing up her sister—and this is what got to me. 

Friend: My sister wants to go to Harvard.
Me: That’s nice. I kind of want to go to a university on the east coast, in that area, too. How’s she’s doing?
Friend: Good. She’s been constantly pestering me about you.
Me (puzzled): What do you mean?
Friend (plainly): She’s always asking about you and what you’re doing. “Does Morning do this? Does Morning do that?” She looks up to you.
Me (even more perplexed): M-me? But… but I’m... I’m not… Or even thought about…
Friend: Yeah, well, you should go look. You’re great with younger kids. You set a good example.
Me: But--
Friend: Think about it.

Obviously, my friend and my actual name had been changed or not mentioned, but until that point, I never really thought of that people actually looked up to me. I knew my friend’s sister, and though she was a lot taller than I was, she wouldn’t see that as a hindrance and attempted to talk to me in the mornings. I never actually thought that my actions—or, in the blogging world, my words—could have such a big impact on people.

I’m quite terrified of this revelation. Are words and actions that powerful, to the point that people should look up to me, or any other person that sets an example? At the same time, I'm quite honored, flattered, and humbled. Hearing and talking to younger kids and receiving kind gifts from the kids I look after and talk to a lot makes my day. When I was helping out with some kindergartners on Friday afternoons and the kids with disabilities during their gym period, I was often greeted with smiles, hugs, and drawn pictures. 

There's this one picture that I still have which is buried in my room somewhere, showing me paragliding that one of the kindergartners did; and she had been such a huge part in me that one of my characters is named after her. She is now in third grade now. Kids grow up so fast.

The comments you leave on my blog mean so much to me, too. They are all little rays of sunshine and they help me get through so much. I enjoy hearing and talking to you all, and see that there are many others in the world who carry the same interest and problems as me, and realize that we are not alone.

But something that people should realize is that though there are role models, we are also human, too. We're not perfect. My life to someone may seem like paradise, but this is just only one side that you see. There is another side behind my life off of the computer screen, where I am at work busy trying to study for hours and have very little breaks or television time to myself. When I do have television time, I'm elated. I read and write lots. My work space is often cluttered and disorganized, like the photo at the beginning of the post. I fumble speaking in front of people, but with friends I can be outgoing and bubbly.


That's the lovely thing about role models: they are just ordinary people taking one big step in doing extraordinary things. I think this is also great to point out that anyone could be a role model. I look up to others in the blogosphere. Look at us; we are all writing about the things that inspire us, and we attempt to spread positivity and ingenuity by the words and photos that we post. We touch others, and to do this is just amazing, that there are many of us. We can cause change for the better. There is beauty in that, and power-- not the overpowering type, but more like the "strength and voice in numbers" type.

Don't stop spreading the positivity and love. Though I am still treading lightly in my steps and trying to strive to get through all of the turmoil coming my way, I will keep going and try.


24 comments:

  1. Your writing is certainly exemplary. I've read your story extracts on your blog. Words can't describe how good they are. I can relate to this post. Sometimes you become a role model without even knowing and all of a sudden you've become like two people. The role-model and yourself; crazy, clumsy and rather insane. (In my case) I totally agree with what you said about blogging, prior to blogging I felt like my thoughts and opinions were going to waste as I had no one to share them with(who actually wanted to listen) Blogging has allowed me to open up,spread my literary wings and fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Outrageous Glamour! I honestly think that my stories need a lot more perfecting before I publish them (or get published in any matter) and wonder how I have "the voice," as my language arts and history teachers say. Not the singing voice, but writing "voice". And isn't that the reason why blogging is just amazing?

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. This post was written wonderfully! It suprises me when people ever think I'm a role model as I'm an ordinary girl! But of course, like you said, ordinary humans, can do extraordinary things, and people can see them as role models. I also agree with what you said about blogging. There are so many blogs(like yours) that inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jollygirl! I know you are younger than me by a bit, but look at you, a Discovery Girl! And you're setting such a great example. :)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post, Morning! I'm speechless! What a wonderful testimony!
    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg I guess I haven't been to your blog in a while, love this new (?) design!

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, O! I just came back from your blog (I realized I wasn't following it; that explained so much as to why I couldn't find it frequently, gah!) and I'm so glad that the CSS for the avatars are working fine on your blog! :) Love your new design too, by the way!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. You are so right! We are human, and we aren't always perfect and sometimes it's hard for me to come to a realization that people actually do look up to me, just because of a lot of mistakes that I make.
    I think anyone can be a role model, even if they are younger than you.
    Such a beautiful post, and I really agree with you!
    -Lauren <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone can be a role model, yeah; it's kind of like the belief that you can still learn new things no matter how old you are. :)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. Being a role model is definitely scary the first time you think about it. When I found out some younger kids looked up to me, my first reaction was blushing really hard and then suddenly, I'm like "Wait. they watch me every time I come into their field of vision? Does this mean they see me DO ALL THE EMBARRASSING STUFF I DO WITHOUT KNOWING"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that was one of the reasons I flipped out. I was just like, "NOOO kids, don't become klutzy like me." :D

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. this post was so true. we all look up to different people, in real life and on blogger. i know for myself, there are definitely a few people i look up to on blogger. this post was really sweet, Morning <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is very true and deep. I love seeing writing like this from you! It sounds like kids love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Oakstar! I don't know... I have a soft spot for kids, but I treat them as kind as I treat anyone of any age, really.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  9. It kind of freaks me out when people look up to me...because we know ourselves better than anyone, right? It's kind of silly for them to look up to us when we're perfectly terrible...but maybe we're a shining light when we don't think we are??? Hmm, you got my brain thinking Morning. :-)

    This post was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! We kind of do know ourselves better than anyone. Sometimes though, I think that people may know some aspects about us... my 2nd and 3rd period teachers tell me to speak up a bit more in class because of all of the opinions I have about certain questions, and when I first heard that, I laughed. But it kind of does make sense. And it scares me, still. :)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  10. this is truly quite beautifully put. Will be following so I can see more of your blog!
    http://whenshewrites-theblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll go and check out your blog!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. Keep up the good work as a good example! We're all human and make mistakes, but the Lord sees us through, and as we walk with Him other people can see our example and who He is making us to be and be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethany! What you said is true; we are inspiring others to follow in His path by what we do and what he is leading us to do.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning