26 January 2015

How Does One Know....


... That he or she, in particular, is a strong writer? Lately I have been asking myself that question ever since I began to take English classes again in school in alternate of my social studies class, especially because of something that did happen during my absence from school on Friday. (I was at a book competition-- our team won second place, just one question behind the winning team! Well, there's always next year.)

When I arrived into school today, I was looking for my name on the board to see which Shakespeare comedy the teachers of the learning community I am attending have placed me in. Something that I saw was the desks were aligned in a square, facing the center of the room, with rows contained within its shape. 

Something you should know about my teacher is that he is like a sixteen-year-old with his soul stuff in a middle age body. He is more of the sort to do pods, just as I had last seen the desk, so when this sight came to me I said, "Whoa... What happened here?"

Some juniors and seniors said things like, "Oh, it's you," "Look at the board for you name to see which Shakespeare reading your are in," "We did things on Friday." One of them said, "The teacher was talking about you last week."

"What? When?" This was my initial thought. When the teachers speak about me, I tend to be spoken of in a positive light, but I always assume it is something bad. That's been how I think for more than five years, and that reaction is still going strong to this day.

"On Friday. Something about your essay--"

"Being a strong writer--"

"And how it was the best ones he's read in a long time since he's taught here--"

"Or something like that," they murmured simultaneously. The juniors all nodded each other in assent and went off into their own world afterward. As some of my friends entered in the classroom, I scurried and asked whether this occurred on Friday. My friends admitted it was true.

Some people, reading this, might think I sound arrogant, but if it comes off like that, I'm really not. The action I took after hearing those words is quite the opposite of arrogance; I hid under a desk for about two minutes during passing time. Earlier in the semester everyone was required to write a reflection essay about any particular topic that our mind wishes. I know I'm not the strongest writer out there in the world, and there is tons of room for improvement. I love reading books-- I always have, and always will-- but to end up being in the same ranks as Riordan, Rowling, Lewis, Tolkien, Lu, or anyone else in that matter, ya da ya da ya da-- it is very hard to place a grown up version of myself in that light.

If I somehow manage to become published and a successful author, and when my blog is revealed to the rest of the world's population, I could imagine my teachers and all of the other people who have read my writing point a finger as a six-year-old would, kicking their dangling legs from their chairs, and say, "Ha! I told you so."

Now, back to the question of the post: how can one know he or she is a strong writer? There is an aspect of writing that I've been taught every year called Voice. It's either something that you have or don't have, and in all of my years writing for school, I have been told to have this aspect. I can't hear my Voice in my writing. 

Can authors hear their own Voice in writing? Can you hear my Voice? Questions like these have always boggled my mind more than the meaning of life has. Sorry for the rant; I just wish to know. 

Tell me what you think:
What makes a strong writer a strong writer? Do you have Voice?

28 comments:

  1. I think anyone who can make a reader actually go through the whole thing is a good writer because we all usually skip through a lot of stuff while reading..so maybe you have the ability to write in such a way that people want to read it whole :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True... if the book is okay I read through it over a span of several days. When the book is very gripping with really vivid writing, that's when I can't place the book down, and I read well into the night.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. A good writer? Hmmmm. Maybe someone whose words tug at the reader's hearts, minds, and souls. Someone who asks the questions nobody else ever bothers to put it in writing, who questions humanity so much so that people begin to think. A writer who can switch the mood from funny to serious, blend it into a whole, and chuck it at the reader's heads. A writer who can transport one to a different time and different place. A writer who can push the boundaries of society. There are many definitions, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you on the definitions, but my main problem with some literature today is that some formulas are overused. An example would be a love triangle. I tend to avoid books with love triangles unless it is highly acclaimed by people I know, or if I watched a book-to-movie adaption and realize, "I should probably read this!"

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Congrats to you and your team on finishing in 2nd place. It sounds like the teacher gave a real compliment of your skills. Keep up the good work writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethany! Hopefully we will come back next year and take on the state competition. As for my teacher, I'm not sure what to think. I heard some people today say he was one of the toughest graders in grading essays in the little learning community I'm in... I'm not sure what to think or make of it. Plus, I kept banging my head against my binder because I'm rather embarrassed at my style of writing sometimes...

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. Wow, I really have to agree with Rcubed! That is a perfect description of the writer I want to become. I would really like to be the kind of writer that Markus Zusak was when he wrote the Book Thief. I was heartbroken one minute then smiling the next. He really made me connect with the characters in such a magical way. I know that will take a lot of work for me, but so many people tell me I will adventually get there:) Its like acting for me. I just got a crazy part in a play were the lady I'm playing is a bigmouth diva that is a opera singer! I am totally the opposite. I know its going to take a lot of work to perfect the character that I'm playing, but I'm willing to try. Thats what I think a strong writer is:)
    Clara<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book Thief! The book has been sitting on my shelf, unnoticed, all because of the book competition. I should really get around to reading it sometime soon. And acting does the same for me, too, to practice messing with characters. Break a leg with your show! :)

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Follow for follow? Comment on my most recent blog for a follow back!
    (Sorry if I commented twice, I'm having some trouble with my google account right now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay; you didn't comment twice. And I did go and check out your blog; it's quite lovely. Welcome to the blogging community, Girl Blogging! XD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! That must have been an amazing surprise.
    I strong writer I think is someone who can makes the reader feel what the character is feeling and can make them hold their breath with fear, smile when good things happen and laugh at the jokes. That's my idea of a strong writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophie. The hardest thing with writing is to try to convey what the character is feeling, and to try to control it and get the words just right is hard. When I'm writing, often times, I feel my character's emotions because I can see it, but my next test is to see whether other readers could feel the feelings of the book character.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's so awesome :)
    I think a good aspect of a strong writer is being able to learn from your mistakes and improve each time you write. Strong writers don't slack off either, I think they continue to challenge themselves to go the next level.
    This is such a wonderful post, it gave me a lot to think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I wouldn't slack off in writing. On my blog, that isn't evident, but often times my writing ends up coming off in tiny bursts of inspiration. Editing and revising is the hard part for me, for the novelizing process... I'm often left befuddled.

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  8. Whoa awesome and congrats. Also thanks for commenting on my blog and I thought your last post about Disney was awesome !

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also you have a new follower ! : )

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, I had a similar experience! My History teacher was talking about plagiarism, and just goes,"In all my years, I've only had one student who I thought had plagiarism but didn't... and her name was... Heather."
    And I was just like,"Please, please don't."
    It was so embarrassing. i don't think teachers get it XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes teachers don't understand how embarrassing it is. I think that the embarrassment ends up overpowering the sense of pride that should come over... XDDD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  11. A strong writer is... someone who can get the reader to the end and leave them wanting more - or in my opinion, anyway.

    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally get you! I think a good writer feels the words and feels passionate towards what written. If I have writers block then I'm not totally satisfied with my work produced.

    - Lexie | www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! If the writer isn't motivated, it will be reflected in the writing-- and that's bad. >.<

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  13. Congrats on winning second place!
    Writing is something you can keep on improving as long as you practice. Reading your post made me really miss the English classes I used to have in high school. I don't get much time to write with med school :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catalina! I wish you have more time to write more (I've heard med school is time consuming; I get you).

      xoxo Morning

      Delete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning