15 August 2014

Middle School Advice

I'm not sure exactly how this will play out, but today I am going to be giving back-to-school advice and sharing stories to all of those middle schoolers out there that will be entering (or returning, but this post is going to be focused mainly on incoming middle schoolers). Some of the stuff here might apply to high schoolers and new-time public school people, if you've been home schooled, but anyways, let's get started!
The Basics
Gather as much information about your school as you can prior to the first day. Some of the things that I did before entering middle school was going to orientation and a "base camp", where you can meet and socialize with other people. Other things that I did to prepare myself was to go on the school's website and see what sort of clubs and electives that they have. There was also a field trip and tour of the school that we had to attend in sixth grade. Some info I'd suggest getting other than your schedule is a handbook, which has all of the rules, the bell schedule, and a map layout.
via
Meet up with old friends and talk about similarities in your schedules, where you'll sit in the cafeteria, etc.
Get ready to have all of your supplies with you. There was this one kid that I had to constantly be assigned partners with, and he always forgot a pencil. I'm not picking on him or anything, but just don't be that kid who needs to ask for a piece of paper or a pencil in each class.
Always have a fat pink eraser with you. And you're ID. You'll definitely need it with you. This is coming fro someone who needed these two things during one of the most stressful in-class situations of all time.

How To Survive Academically
Always have a planner with you. Sometimes, schools give out free planners but they're rather generic, so you can also get your own. Planners are your best friends at scheduling everything, and they'll help you remind important dates.
Pay attention. This should be a no-brained, but pay attention to what the teachers have to say. All of it, in some form or another, will appear on your final.
Prepare for finals, too. I had no idea what the word meant until the last two of school, and I was like, "Wait, we have to take these majorly long review tests? HELP." The teachers usually give you an idea and some studying prep on what to expect. Use this to your advantage.
Don't do homework or projects during the last minute before you turn them in. I never had this problem before, but gosh, depending on who your teacher is, they might take it away from you and give you a zero because it shows you're not doing you're homework. (This is probably one of the worst-case scenarios for this situation, the one I pictured).
Try to get on good terms with teachers, and don't be afraid to ask for extra credit. In my eighth grade year, I had to ask for tons of extra-credit to kick my grade back up to an "A". Really try hard to get on good terms with teachers. There was this one time in seventh grade that I had a B in science. I was only .3 points away to getting an A. You know what the science teacher did? She ended up giving me those extra points, and my grade was bumped up. Then I began dancing crazily. If I wasn't on good terms with her (and trust me, she was one of my strictest teachers) my grade wouldn't have changed.

How to Survive Socially (or Through Your Classes)
Try to be open with people. At least attempt to do so. "I know it's hard, know it's hard to remember sometimes, but you gotta keep you're head up..." Haha, I got carried away there.
Try to have friends or acquaintances from different social groups. Ooh, social groups pretty much means another word for stereotypes, and I cringe at that. It's nice to have a companion from different social groups, just in case you don't know anyone in a class.
Try to make new, but good, friends, before you start closing up your openness factor. I'm a relatively closed person, and it's hard for me to do that. Like, I can't talk to people. They have to approach me first before I open up. Luckily, the people in my science and social studies classes were nice and open. We're all weird with quirky habits and those are things we respect about each other. It's something that makes our mini group stick.
Join clubs and sports, or do the talent show, if you have the guts.
Avoid drama and dating at all costs. All of it! When it comes your way, say, "No, nope, NADA!" Luckily, most of my friends are the sort of people who tend to avert drama as well as I do, but sooner or later you're going to hit a bump into the road that's going to have to face some resolve. If you do get caught up in drama, you can walk away and take a breather or calm down and then try to talk it out. And you can date in middle school, but there will be problems along the way so try to avoid it altogether. Middle school is about FRIENDSHIP, after all.
The Last Word (Sort of)
My last piece of advice: prepare for ups, downs, and all of the weird turns up in this road ahead. Funny, I started this blog when I was in middle school and I just used a part of my blog title as a pun! But then, puns are the highest form of literature. A lot of factors really depend on what sort of experience you have. Middle school could either be relax as a, I don't know, maybe like a Disney Channel show where everything is relaxed and fine or it could be like all of those ABC family shows that air at seven to nine PM on weekday evenings: full of drama.
***
I hope that helps you guys to a degree! This isn't a huge encyclopedia on middle school advice, but this should help you to a degree. If you have any more questions (like how the lunches taste like or how to deal with strict teachers), then just ask in the comments, and I'll be happy to help and try to give advice to the best of my abilities. Do you guys want me to blog a bit more about back-to-school, and if so, what specifically?
post signature
P.S. If you're feeling daring today and you want to see how my blogging style as a first-year middle schooler, all unfiltered and when only ten people read my blog? Then here are some links and a brief sentence about each post:
Risks This Week-- I am worried about SLCs (student-led conferences). 
Wacky School Week!-- I briefly describe my time volunteering at the school. 
Boredom (With A Hint of Laziness)!-- Good luck reading War and Peace for school. 
Missing My Friends + Divergent!!!!-- I'm going to miss my friends. :'(
The In-School "Field Trip"-- Our field trip was canceled, but not to worry!
Over The Past Couple Of Weeks....-- Some brief thoughts and advice about school again.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Great advice:) If I went to school I would follow this.
    Hope everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! Ooh, homeschool. I've never been homeschooled, but I always wondered how it goes. :) I know it's different for everyone, though... XD

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. I just quited public school this year. But Morning this is great advice! Have a great school year!
    xoxo
    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice! Here's something I might add: don't be that kid who talks back to teachers just to look cool. Guess what? It just makes you look arrogant and it's very annoying for people who actually want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice advice you got there! hehe
    Hope you can drop by my blog!

    Sammie
    sammiethestargirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice! What years are middle school? In Australia we only have primary and high school. High school starting at year seven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tagged you for the Liebster Award: http://almostcompletelymad.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/liebster-award.html?showComment=1408353985829#c7369140114019840301

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so very much for this! I'm starting Middle School for the first time this year, and I'm SO nervous!!! ;) Wish me luck.


    xoxo,
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this. I am going there next year.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Abigail Lennah