07 August 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy Review

Guardians of the Galaxy Review (Post on August

As promised, I will be reviewing the 2014 Marvel movie, Guardians of the Galaxy! Before I get started, I just want to name out the trailers that I saw before the actual screening. The movies that are going to be released seem pretty exciting; I can't wait to watch these in time, especially the Maze Runner! I'm such a huge fan of the movie series.
Annie
The Maze Runner
Big Hero 6
Disney's Into the Woods
Summary: After stealing a mysterious orb in the far reaches of outer space, human Peter Quill is now the main target of a manhunt led by the villain known as Ronan the Accuser. To help fight Ronan and his team and save the galaxy from his power, Quill creates a team known as the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' to save the world.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and for some language 
So, on Saturday evening, my parents were deciding on which movie to go see together. They have this monthly thing where they go out-- just the two of them-- to watch a movie on a Saturday evening. They didn't see any movies that they wanted to watch together. Then they spotted Galaxy.

So, after some consulting and talking, my brother and I hopped into the car with them and we saw the movie in 3D XD (not IMAX 3D XD, but regular 3D). We arrived just in time for the trailers to start, but we had to sit up front. That was how packed the movie was.

Guardians, before I saw the movie, I thought, was a huge risk for Marvel to take. I love Marvel's movie adaptions because they actually are engaging and they're more appealing compared the the DC Comic adaptions I've seen. The problem with Guardians was that, for some time now, we've been seeing movie adaptions of the Avengers? So, did the movie upset my high hopes or exceeded them?

I'll touch on that at the end of the review. The movie starts of with a young Peter Quill, at the beginning, who is facing something pretty painful, and, under unpleasant circumstances, ends up in space.
(source)
I loved the the new Guardians team, and really, in general, all of the actor/actress choices made for the roles. Most of their motives and their character were pretty easy to spot after their first ten to fifteen minutes of screen time. I say most because there was one thing that threw me off (spoiler): I didn't catch the part when Gamora says she is betraying Thanos.

That leads me to my next point: the overall pacing of the movie. Instead of the movie having a steady pace, the pace was going like energy spikes would: some parts would be slow, while others were fast-paced. If the pacing was averaged out, then the pacing would come out a bit too fast.

I would also like to point out the comedy in this movie. The comedy splits the viewers of the movie in half: you would either get the jokes, or you don't. Luckily, after pun and inside jokes, the jokes in the movie were up my alley, so I completely got them! There was also this one thing that I laughed at that most people wouldn't get; something that Drax mirrored the exact same action that someone who was involved in the Avengers had done (who this other person is and whether they did this in a Marvel movie or TV show, I will not say exactly).

I just want to point this out quickly: there is a lot of more profanity in this movie than usual in Marvel movies. Be warned.

Something that I do like from this movie that seems to give a bit of depth is the 70s/80s tracks that are played throughout the film. Starlord has this cassette players which plays all of these tracks on this tape. Peter grew up in that time period, so when those tracks played, it seemed to give a bit of an insight to his character. (That, and I love 70s and 80s music. "'Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no river low enough...'" I just can't help it!)

(source)
My overall verdict for the movie? It did not fall flat. As usual, Marvel and Disney have done a great job of everything and had everything it needs to make it a great Marvel movie-- great comedy, characters, backstory, CGI animation, even a great Stan Lee cameo! I could see why this may not appeal to some members of the audience, but still: I am pumped and can't wait for the sequel in 2017!


post signature

7 comments:

  1. Nice review! I'll watch this movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm usually not good at writing reviews and reports... :P

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your review, Morning, really nice! I agree with you about the humor - some people get it and some don't. The music was great, I love No Mountain High Enough too. :) Guardians was fun though! :) (Oh, here's my review of it if you have any interest in reading it. :))


    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom didn't seem to get the humor. And I love their songs! And I'll go and check out your review!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  3. Okay, so I actually didn't realize the bit with child Peter in the beginning was actually part of the movie... I thought it was another preview. :p I know, I know; needless to say I was very confused later on. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD It can be confuzzling!

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. I want to see that movie!!! I've heard too many good things about it!
    Emily (lovemilysblog.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning