14 February 2014

Stereotypes and Labels

I am just really mad right now. So, a couple days back, I overheard someone saying that theater people “probably all have an average of C-plusses.” When I heard that, I was really offended, and not just because I was doing theater.

Something that really ticks me off is when people make certain assumptions to different stereotypes and special education people, just like the example above. Another example is when people don’t think that special education people aren’t ordinary, meaning that they don’t have similar interests as everyone else. I also don't like it when people use other people's insecurities to bring them down-- calling people dumb, clueless, hopeless, fat, etc.

I have a lot of friends from different social groups. Some are gamers, some are athletes, some are trying to memorize and uncover the next number in pi. Honestly, if you remove the stereotype labels, then you can see that they do some similar stuff that people from other groups. Like one of my friends is a gamer, but he is in a lot of the gifted education classes and has really good grades.

Maybe some of theater people may not have smarts as something that they were granted with, but they have the acting skills down, for one. The cast in the play that I am have a huge abundance of different people; some like to sing, another is a cross-country skier, and a lot of them know how to do something that I don’t: playing chess. (I really, really want to learn how to play chess! I only know how to play checkers, mahjong, spider solitaire and mancala)!

And then there are special education people. I used to work with special education people because I volunteered to work with them during their gym class in sixth grade. They may be different, but they’re still people. I was able to talk and get along with some of the special education people because they’re interests—the girls, American girl dolls, while the boys loved Bakugan—were some of the things that I grew up with in my household.

That brings up another thing that bothers me: People can’t accept others for who they want to be. So please, please don’t let labels define and control people that you see, and don’t let them define and control you. Besides, you can just be more than one “label”: I am a nerd, orchadork and bookworm, and I am super proud of that.


Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOD BLESS THIS POST! I totally agree with everything said here! OMG I wish I were the one that said it. I, too, are multi-"labeled." Being an athlete, nerd, bookworm, and musician, I totally understand. This should be like a major newpaper article or something. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR! Yeah, I was really annoyed when I heard this, and since I didn't speak up to those people who said this, I decided to vent it out here. I'm actually thinking about having a campaign for this, or something! I really don't like all of the prejudice that labels and stereotypes cause, and I'm really ready to do something to change this. Maybe I can convince my parents to spread this on different social media sites or I can write more posts about this... Things will happen, in time. :)

      Stay strong and wonderful!
      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  4. *applauds* WOO HOO! :) LOVE this post! That's one of the things I love about homeschooling. Nobody judges you or forms "cliques" or anything like that. We're all very much our own people who don't fit into a certain category, so it ticks me off when people try to put others into a group or label you. One kid (a much older kid, might I add) walked up to my brother (who was probably about eight at the time) and was watching him play Yu-Gi-Oh! I'd given him a full set of cases for his cards, which just so happened to be pink. The older boy sneered and said, "Why do you have pink cases? Those are for girls." My brother shrugged and said, "I like them. My sister gave them to me. Pink is one of my favorite colors."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I know a couple of people from different activities around town used to or currently are home schoolers, but then there are others I know how claim that homeschoolers are really shy and anti-social (argh, another misjudgment people make!). I also read one time that in the 1900s, blue was a girls' color and pink was a boys' color (I think that info was in "The Big Book of Girl Stuff), so why would people make assumptions about different colors for different genders? That older boy was sexist to say that.

      Stay strong and wonderful!
      xoxo Morning

      Delete
  5. Hello! I nominated you for the Sunshine Award on my blog www.thinkreadwritedream.blogspot.co.uk
    I hope you do it :]
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is so true! I wrote a similar one a while back on my blog called "bragging". We have different levels of learning at my school for math classes. All the kids in honors (the highest class) think they are the best and everyone else is just stupid. It really bothers me! But honestly, this post is so true. Thank you for writing it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning