01 January 2014

A Do-Over

            "Sometimes it is good to start over." –R.J. Palacio, Wonder

This is a quote from the novel Wonder that really stood out, and a great quote to kick off the New Year with. If you have not read the book, then I suggest you do; it stands out, and you can definitely learn something from it.

                The book is about August Pullman, or Auggie, as his family calls him, and after years of being home schooled, he is finally going to Beecher Prep, a public school. He's just a normal kid, but he has a facial deformity, which he says, "I mean, I don't want to brag or anything, but I'm actually considered something of a medical wonder, you know." Now he is trying to go through school, convincing everyone that he is just like everyone else.

In the book, Mr. Browne, one of August's teachers, writes a precept on a board and then they have to write down what the precept means to them. A precept, according to the dictionary, is "a general rule intended to regulate behavior or thought." Over the summer break, Mr. Browne encourages everyone to send a postcard with their own precept on it.

This is what I am going to do with the meme; I am going to pick a precept and I am going to write about my view about it. If you want, you can participate in this as well; just make sure to post that it is hosted here and give me a link to your precept post so that way I can comment on it. I'd love to see your posts.

                The precept at the beginning was written by Julian Albans, a kid that bullies August. Now why he wrote that precept I will not reveal to you (or else I will spoil the book) but this is a great precept to kick start the New Year.

So now that we are beginning a new year, I bet that you are trying to begin your resolutions. A lot of people that I know of don't create resolutions. Personally, I have resolutions, but I don't announce them and after a while I'm not as motivated to pursue them. The point of resolutions is to push ourselves forward and trying to achieve something that we want.

Our resolutions are different. Some people want to live a healthier lifestyle. Others want to spend less, help others achieve their dreams, or enjoy life to the fullest. Maybe they want all four of these resolutions resolved.

The New Year also gives us a chance to start over, start fresh. Maybe you don't get to start fresh with the school year, but at least you can start fresh with the New Year and the new semester coming up. Those plans and goals that you wished to achieve but have failed upon? Start over and pick them up. That is the reason why I love the New Year. Though we have to return to our lives because the holidays are over, the New Year gives us one thing that we all yearn for sometimes:

Opportunity. The New Year gives us all the opportunity to do something new, the opportunity to have a second shot at some of our personal goals. Want to go skydiving? Want to reach out more and make new friends? Want to have that chance to get a 4.0 GPA this quarter? Then why don't you go out and take a chance on that opportunity to do so? Fresh starts come so few over the years. Don't be afraid to get out there and take that chance.

I mentioned this in my last post, I think, but I am going to say this once again. Many people don't achieve their resolutions because they aren't ready to change their habits. Take it from me: change stinks. Resolutions are normally changes that we want to see in ourselves. Be motivated for that change that you wish to see within yourself. 

If you are about to give up on your resolution, take a moment to pause. Think why you created your resolution in the first place, and your reasons behind it. Hopefully, you will regain vision of why you made your resolution and have the hope to pursue on.

Now let's go rock 2014.

            Also, before I leave, please check out asayoungwriter's blogs, An Ordinary Girl With An Extraordinary Life and Live, Learn, Write, Read, Tell. Links below:


            http://anordinarygirlwithanextraordinarylife.blogspot.com/ 
Inline image 2

Inline image 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning