28 December 2013

Mini Book Reviews

Hi! Morning here. Here are some of the book review I promised to do (for the record, I am horrible at writing book reviews, so... yup. *runs*).

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
The novel is told by Tris and Tobias, who venture out to the world that laid outside of the fence. The books picks up several days after Insurgent, with the city ran by factionless and Evelyn putting people on trial. The switching viewpoints seem to have caught me off guard, because Divergent and Insurgent both were only told by the viewpoints of Tris only.
I was a little disappointing how the novel came out. There was no plot development. The idea with GPs (genetically pure) and GDs (genetically damaged) just went around in circles. It seemed pointless. It seemed like Veronica Roth was busy trying to put lots of information in one book (the Bureau? Tobias not being Divergent?) I almost just went around in my room ranting.
Then came the ending. That was the one good thing that came out of the novel. I've read reviews by a lot of fans saying that they were disappointed by how it came out, but I have to disagree. Tris was Divergent, with an aptitude for Abnegation, Erudite, and Dauntless. She wanted to make her parents proud. Even if she sacrificed herself for Caleb, who she acted cold to, it felt like she did what the Abnegation and the Dauntless would do in that situation. With her seeing her mother and reaching for her embrace… that was just… wow. I bawled my eyes out.
Tobias' chapters once he finds out that Tris died…. That was painful to read. It seemed sad that a lot of the characters ended up dying in this book and their companions who were still alive mourned, but it mad the book seem more realistic.
Overall, I rate this book five stars. I recommend it to fans of the series, but take it with a grain of salt.

Inline image 2

Champion by Marie Lu
Champion is the third novel in the Legend trilogy, by Marie Lu. The Republic and the Colonies have signed a peace treaty to from fighting against each other. That peace treaty is soon threatened when a new plague rises from the Colonies, and the Republic is taking the blame. Great ending there! Marie Lu wrapped things up quite nicely with the final book in the series. I could not stop fan girling until the end of the book (I stayed up all night to finish the book); now the end was amazing, and not disappointing! Rating it five stars, and recommending it to fans of the series (once again) and to those who are looking for YA dystopia books. Hats to you, Marie Lu.

Inline image 3