11 February 2013

Risks This Week

Hello friends. I am going to dread this week.

This is the week where we have SLCs once again!!! No!

... Wait? Do any of you know what I am talking about? Do you know what SLC even stands for? Yes? No? Maybe? Semi-Cord Candycanes? I wish it was called that, because things at school would be a lot more fun. But of course, it isn't. For those who do not know what SLC stands for, I'll tell you.

SLC stands for Student-Led Conferences, something which all middle schoolers are in charge of. In elementary school, you probably have parent-teacher conference, where you and your parents just set up a time to meet up with your teacher and talk about your grades.

In middle school, it is different. There are these things called "teams", and in middle school, where I live, they place you on a team depending on how smart you are (which I honestly don't like). In your team, there are four core classes: math, english, science and geography. There are four teacher with interns. You have to meet up with all four of your core teachers, a five-minute session each.

But there's a catch.

It is called student-led conference for a reason. You are the one who is in control, talking to your parents about grades. Several days before, you collect pieces of some classwork and homework to show. And not only do you meet with your core teachers, you have to meet with your ELECTIVES too. It is an experience that is frightening, which it is only my second time (every year, you must do it twice).

Some people look forward to this. But I am not one of those people. Reason? Alright. In November, I took journalism, which is a semester-long course. Now I was signed up to interview my team. I thought that it wasn't a huge deal, meeting with four teachers, until I learned that 6 other teachers who are interns and Special-Ed helpers go there too. So for third period, I had to sit with them all staring at me. I must deal with that later.

There is something else that I am going to have to do. See, in fifth grade, my teacher took a picture of my table cluster. And I really loved it, those fun times and memories! And out of luck, my younger brother got into his class. So then, I am going to ask him (my teacher was a guy) when he is done talking to my parents.

Yes, folks, I am talking a lot of risks this week. When I was younger, I used to watch "The Magic School Bus". And Ms. Frizzle, that crazy teacher with the school bus that takes her class on wacky field trips, always says, "Take chances! Make mistakes!"

And that is what I am going to be doing this week. I am going to just try and take the risk. That's how you can discover new things, in a sort. Life has it's risks, hasn't it? So we must take this chance, and hopefully, good things would come to use all.



1 comment:

  1. Some things go good, some things go bad, am I correct?

    Anyways, I'd like to nominate you with the Liebster Award. I have no idea how this works, so just click the link and do what the I say.

    http://dancerofbooks.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/42/

    ~Evam/Emily/EZforever

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, reader! Thank you so, so much for having time to read my posts and comment; I really appreciate it, and I promise I will try to reply back! I'd also love it if you would follow my blog too and spread the word; that would make my day. :D Have a great day!

Stay strong and wonderful!
xoxo Morning